Huawei P30 Pro Initial Impressions & Reviews

yatiya

Waiting for something on XDA Developers.

Since calls seem to record on VoLTE, seems I might not root over all.

Also, you can change the theme without rooting?
Yes, you can change the theme. But I hate Vodacom so much that I can't stand even having a wallpaper of theirs saved on my phone lol.

I am thankful though, that the startup and shut down screens are not that Vodacom rubbish that gets put on Samsung phones.

Only thing I'm missing is Odin right now. Other than that, I'm loving the P30 pro!

Tsepz_011

Expert Member
Yes, you can change the theme. But I hate Vodacom so much that I can't stand even having a wallpaper of theirs saved on my phone lol.

I am thankful though, that the startup and shut down screens are not that Vodacom rubbish that gets put on Samsung phones.

Only thing I'm missing is Odin right now. Other than that, I'm loving the P30 pro!
Ahh yes, the good ol' days of Odin. I think the last time I used Odin was to load UK FW on my Galaxy S7 Edge never bothered with it on my Note8, just got so sick of messing around trying to clean Vodacoms mess.

At least they stopped the horrible practice of branding the device with their logo on its body!

Lew Skannen

Expert Member
No native call recording.... no interest in Huawei either. Can't wait to test my Xiaomi device to see if it works.

sajunky

Honorary Master
No native call recording.... no interest in Huawei either. Can't wait to test my Xiaomi device to see if it works.
Y7 2019, it is shipped with Oreo.

I just trying to point in right direction instead of laughing @people. Temporary solution, as I think Huawei will be the first one to break with Google FoolPlay Services.

Lew Skannen

Expert Member
Y7 2019, it is shipped with Oreo.

I just trying to point in right direction instead of laughing @people. Temporary solution, as I think Huawei will be the first one to break with Google FoolPlay Services.
Yep, may be a very temporary fix if you jump quick and stop all future updates. I have read on an Android forum that Google has started releasing updates that block call recording on previous versions of its OS too.

sajunky

Honorary Master
Yep, may be a very temporary fix if you jump quick and stop all future updates. I have read on an Android forum that Google has started releasing updates that block call recording on previous versions of its OS too.
They are fu4%6n maniacs or follow NWO orders, desperate move indeed.

This is Adroid thread, so we need links. Which update versions deploy these ridiculous 'security' patches?

theratman

Executive Member
Is that so you can record your secret agent military sniper elite orders, or your phone sex with movie starlets?
Actually I think it's to record those sweet tunes you hear while waiting on a helpline. You know, to use as a ring tone later.

weelzSA

Expert Member
So I purchased a P30 Pro while over in Dubai and am now wanting to setup and move all info over from old phone which is an iPhone X.

I see in setup I can select copy from iPhone over WiFi but I need to know a few things:

1. Does it copy over all contacts, messages, photos and notes?

2. How can I copy my WhatsApp chats? I have WhatsApp backup set to daily but it backs up to my iCloud Drive - is there a way to do this?

3. Is there an iCloud app for Android yet? I have all my photos saved to iCloud (have 2tb storage but not using it all) or is there a way to move it all over to Google Photos / Google Drive (I have google drive for business)?

4. I know there is Apple Music for Android but thinking now is the time to try Spotify as I know if I login to Apple Music on P30 I will need to download all music again.

5. Anything else I need to know / must download? I haven’t used android since the Note 3 so a little out of it. I know majority of the apps I use I can just download again from play store.

Sorry for all the questions just want to setup right the first time.

sajunky

Honorary Master
@weelzSA. Make it easy. If you don't succeed, reset the (Android) phone and use different options. :)

0. You have to download an app from AppStore.
1. Yes, you have number of options to chose.
2. No, you have to backup your chats to iCloud before cloning. I am sure you can get it from iCloud back, either by the cloning app or a Whatsapp itself, tell us.
3. (?). Check what options you get during the cloning, tell us.
4. Do you still download music when using Spotify? I wouldn't.
5. See #0. You will need to open a Google account too.

weelzSA

Expert Member
@weelzSA. Make it easy. If you don't succeed, reset the (Android) phone and use different options. :)

0. You have to download an app from AppStore.
1. Yes, you have number of options to chose.
2. No, you have to backup your chats to iCloud before cloning. I am sure you can get it from iCloud back, either by the cloning app or a Whatsapp itself, tell us.
3. (?). Check what options you get during the cloning, tell us.
4. Do you still download music when using Spotify? I wouldn't.
5. See #0. You will need to open a Google account too.
Thanks for the reply.

So when choosing to copy from iPhone it makes me install an app called “Phone Clone” on my iPhone and then connect to its own WiFi. It seems to have copied all contacts but no SMS or notes. It also did about 25GB of pics and videos (I assume that’s because the other pics on iPhone are stored in iCloud).

1. Is there software out the that can make a full copy of my iPhone (contacts, sms, notes) that I can the restore to the P30 Pro?

2. Before I install WhatsApp I want to make sure everything else is copied over Incase I need to do a reset etc again so hopefully WhatsApp can restore from an iCloud backup.

3. No options at all from the built in version. I’m sure there must be a way to migrate from iCloud to google photos (I really just care about the pics saved on iCloud).

4. I download music yes (from Apple Music) for when we go away for offline listening. Some areas the reception isn’t the best and even so if we listen constantly for majority of the day it makes sense to download.

5. I just signed in with my gmail address (have used it way back for android tablet) so that part I am good on thanks.

New question - is there anyway to get a “clean” looking keyboard layout? At the moment it has Swift key installed but I hate I messy it looks with all the secondary characters showing in keys - if there is a simple clean one like on iOS please let me know.

So for now before I install anything new I want to get all my old info copied across so don’t want to install all my apps only to have to reset later for some reason.

I might just google and see if there is software that can copy all info across but am sometimes weary of those.

sajunky

Honorary Master
4. I download music yes (from Apple Music) for when we go away for offline listening. Some areas the reception isn’t the best and even so if we listen constantly for majority of the day it makes sense to download.
I suggest to do it on PC in iTunes. Apple Music is not DRM protected. Change an option for a file format (I suggest a lossless FLAC on Android) and an option to sync your music with PC. Then transfer a folder to a phone.
New question - is there anyway to get a “clean” looking keyboard layout? At the moment it has Swift key installed but I hate I messy it looks with all the secondary characters showing in keys - if there is a simple clean one like on iOS please let me know.
Yes. Enter SwiftKey settings menu from a keyboard (easy way), alternatively on Y7 (Oreo) it is in System -> Language and input -> SwiftKey Keyboard

Now you are in SwiftKey settings, select a Typing icon -> Keys and deactivate an option Accented characters. Now a long press will only show accented characters specific to your selected input language.

While you are in this place, you can activate Arrow keys option, I found it is very useful.

weelzSA

Expert Member
So I ended up paying for an app called Wazzapmigrator as I spent majority of the day yesterday trying to restore WhatsApp back from iPhone to android - this app takes the backup from iTunes backup, copy files to phone then launch app on phone and it restores. Wasn't perfect as chats weren't in same position as iPhone and all groups were on top but atleast the chats are there.

I installed the Google keyboard as it is very clean.

Now I need to try get use to android and learn all the tricks and see what I need to enable and disable.

Then I need to learn the camera as there alot of extra features compared to my iPhone.

Leisure Larry

So I ended up paying for an app called Wazzapmigrator as I spent majority of the day yesterday trying to restore WhatsApp back from iPhone to android - this app takes the backup from iTunes backup, copy files to phone then launch app on phone and it restores. Wasn't perfect as chats weren't in same position as iPhone and all groups were on top but atleast the chats are there.

Now I need to try get use to android and learn all the tricks and see what I need to enable and disable.

Then I need to learn the camera as there alot of extra features compared to my iPhone.
Stick with SwiftKey. Play with the settings to get a cleaner look. The predictions on SwiftKey are the best.
Please refrain from using derogatory words (iPhone) on this thread. :p

FiestaST

Honorary Master

Thanks for the Intel.

So is the App worth a pricey R91 buck?

I'm currently using a P30. Come from iPhone. GBoard is the best kb App hands down imo. First thing I did with the P30 was disable SwiftKey & Install GBoard. Screenshot_20190420_223543.jpeg

weelzSA

Expert Member
Thanks for the Intel.

So is the App worth a pricey R91 buck?

I'm currently using a P30. Come from iPhone. GBoard is the best kb App hands down imo. First thing I did with the P30 was disable SwiftKey & Install GBoard. View attachment 648222
Hey bud,

Yeah the R100+ (price doesn't show vat) was well worth it for me after struggling all day using other software - others are also paid for and cost Min $59. So if you want your WhatsApp messages then 100% worth it. The only issues is how it restores - not the same order as the backup but all messages and media gets restored.

Yeah the Google keyboard is great - very clean and reminds me of the keyboard in iOS is what I wanted.

Still trying to figure out all settings on Android and what to do but so far enjoying it.