Huawei P40 will launch in South Africa – What you need to know

Hanno Labuschagne

Staff member
Huawei P40 will launch in South Africa – What you need to know

Huawei’s next generation of flagship P-series smartphones will launch in South Africa this year.

Speaking in an interview with MyBroadband, Huawei South Africa CBG vice president Likun Zhao and Huawei South Africa CTO Akhram Mohamed confirmed that the upcoming devices would roll out to the local market.

“The next flagship devices are coming to South Africa,” Zhao said. “The only difference will be that the new flagships will launch in South Africa without Google Mobile Services (GMS) and with Huawei Mobile Services (HMS) instead.”

Sinbad

Honorary Master
No GMS makes the phone kinda useless, pitty as it looks like another beast of a phone.
For me the jury's out. Will have to see how much of what I normally use the phone for can be done without GMS.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
They can sugar coat it all they want, the fact is that you lose access to the Play Store. Which is one of the biggest reasons to get an Android phone...
In what way? How many apps do you actually use? Most of the important apps will be available
Work in progress, it will have the native whatsapp

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
The above article is way off. When we sat with Huawei, most of the development were work in progress. Most of the important apps people use daily, inlcuding banking apps, DSTV Now etc will be available on the Huawei app store, and it will be the same experience as what you would get out of the Google Play Store

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
I believe Huawei have a deal with Tomtom for mapping
Tomtom as a company is crap and notorious for half assed support for their very own products as they get older. Garmin wouldve been better.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
Hectic. That does not sound like a phone anyone outside of China would ever use
Depending which apps you use daily, it will be usable as a daily driver without any issues. Unless things change on the Huawei side before launch etc