Huawei P40 will launch in South Africa – What you need to know

Tsepz_GP

Expert Member
Firefox browser works just as well, sometimes better than Chrome
Indeed, in fact I stopped using Chrome on my Androids and iOS devices years ago, mostly use Samsung Internet, the Huawei Browser in EMUI10 and Safari on iOS devices.
Chrome was an awful RAM and power hog no matter what device I used it on, I only use it on my work laptop as that’s what our company wants.

jman

Expert Member
I for one am looking forward to some competition for what's become a monopoly on the Google front. Even though it's out of necessity, and even though early iterations may not be perfect and as seamless as we're used to, if anyone can bring some competition to the market, it's Huawei. The hardware is cutting edge, that much is clear. The software will catch up quickly in my opinion

Tsepz_GP

Expert Member
It's quite scary how many Android users are lauding Google like they are innocent and China is bad.Not to mention their apps when you already have great alternatives to Google Services. Protonmail is a great alternative to Gmail. Onedrive is better than GDrive. There is life outside Google, people.
Indeed, Google did a great job at positioning themselves in such a way that most would be under the impression that there is no life without them, this explains why some OEMs have been trying to work on their own ecosystems as they are worried something like this could happen to them, also as more antitrust probes etc...open up against Google it becomes more evident how bad it is to rely so heavily on them alone.

I am looking forward to what HMS and GDSA bring, with some of the Chinese OEMs collaborating it can only be good to have another competitor in the race.

AirWolf

Honorary Master
I don't have a crystal ball and can't predict the future.

What I can do is reflect on the past.

- What happened to video stores at the advent of streaming?
- What happened to Nokia - the biggest phone manufacturer at one point?
- What happened to Blackberry?

What can we take away from these examples? Fail to adapt and you're setting yourself up for failure.

What do we know about Huawei?
Their primary strength is their networking equipment, which is years ahead of their competition.
They entered the smartphone arena after the other 2 companies in the top 3 manufacturers, and they already produce the second most phones worldwide. You don't get to do that without learning fast and adapting to an ever-changing market.

The Google ban amounts to the most anti-competitive behaviour perhaps in the last 50 years of tech at the very least. But, it is what it is.
Only time will tell how well Huawei adapt - they certainly have the credentials to make the break from Google - funds, technological minds behind their devices, and the Chinese dragon to support them through troubled waters until other markets open up to new ideas.

Africa for one should be a key focus - the bread-and-butter of what made Huawei popular here: mid-range priced phones with killer specs regardless of OS will sell well.

buffalobill

I'm a bit of an app junkie and use quite a lot. I'm not in the market for a P40 but no Play Store in future Huawei models is a dealbreaker for me. This is a pity because my whole family are Huawei converts.

Tsepz_GP

Expert Member
Seems there is also some buy-in coming in for HMS outside of China

Turkcell signs agreement to use Huawei Mobile Services; targets 1 million sales by 2021

Huawei’s focus on regional wins is what will help HMS gain traction, this is how Huawei originally approached most regions with their phones and telecoms years ago, through more focused partnerships in each region, this is where the US companies tend to fall behind sometime as they mostly give us exactly the same thing assuming that we have the same tastes as them, while Huawei does their market research analysis, it may take a little time but they are on the correct path here...

Huawei to pre-install up to 70 most popular Android apps on its future smartphones

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
I'm a bit of an app junkie and use quite a lot. I'm not in the market for a P40 but no Play Store in future Huawei models is a dealbreaker for me. This is a pity because my whole family are Huawei converts.
Again I'm amazed at how people have over 20 or more apps.. I'm a power user, but have already worked out which apps work perfectly for my needs etc. In that way, I keep my device storage clear, and memory in good shape.

The move by Huawei to HMS is not something they intended to do, but it was forced upon them by Google. This however could be a good thing, because now it allows for a 3rd OS or platform to maybe do something different.

I can also tell you, that Huawei will most likely invite app developers to bring their apps to the Huawei store, as soon as they develop for iOs and Android. It's all about the early stages, and how people react and adopt to something new and different.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Again I'm amazed at how people have over 20 or more apps.. I'm a power user, but have already worked out which apps work perfectly for my needs etc. In that way, I keep my device storage clear, and memory in good shape.

The move by Huawei to HMS is not something they intended to do, but it was forced upon them by Google. This however could be a good thing, because now it allows for a 3rd OS or platform to maybe do something different.

I can also tell you, that Huawei will most likely invite app developers to bring their apps to the Huawei store, as soon as they develop for iOs and Android. It's all about the early stages, and how people react and adopt to something new and different.
It's more than just app quantity. I have loads of premium apps purchased in the Play Store that I'm not willing to lose access to. And I don't want a case where a random app that is the best at what it does isn't available to me on a Huawei so I must find an alternative. Or even worse, a very specific app that connects to a subscription service, like Sam Harris's Waking Up (for mindfulness and meditation) or Pocket Casts, simply not being available at all on Huawei.

There are many potential issues with not having the Play Store, and consumers need not deal with any of those problems given how many great Android flagships are available. Just get an S20 instead and there is nothing to worry about whatsoever basically. Or a OnePlus if you want better value.

When things are as cutthroat as they are between cellphone brands, losing the Play Store makes your value proposition immediately worse for the vast majority of people. Not to mention how godawful not having Google Maps or the native YouTube app would be for almost everyone. Why deal with a platform that requires developers to react and adopt when you can just buy a different device? Makes no sense.

Swa

Honorary Master
AlmightyBender: Hey Google, tell me about my day
Google Assistant: Sorry bro, no idea, maybe you can tell me?
AlmightyBender: Aww now I have to physically pick up my phone and check like a savage neanderthal

Yes I'm aware that GMS is not smart in and of itself, but it is the infrastructure that allows a seamless user experience that makes the phone "smart" and allows all the fantastic value added features.

If I get an email confirming my flight will my Hauwei phone be able to create an appointment in my calendar for that and remind me via a smart speaker the day before and arrange transport for me to airport? I doubt it.

P.S. yes I know we don't have that level of features in SA yet, but you certainly do in the States and Canada etc.
It's the ability to load apps that make it "smart". There is nothing inherently smart about a phone or the google services. Sure google has the apps but then so do others like Apple who have been in a constant fight with them. They may actually prefer a neutral platform. Who uses these services in any case? Less than 0.1% I bet.

I for one am glad that the google monopoly is finally being broken. It was just a matter of time before it would start causing problems. Maybe we end with an ecosystem where Google suits some and Huawei suits some. It's incorrect to assume that because HMS is different to GMS it's not on the same level.

Grubscrew

Expert Member
Well our company uses Google Business, so it going to be less than ideal to look for alternatives.

Samsung and others are just going regain the market share they lost to Huawei the last few years, because at similar price points they will have devices with GMS.

Park@82

Honorary Master
For me the jury's out. Will have to see how much of what I normally use the phone for can be done without GMS.
^^^ this. On the one hand I would love for there to be viable alternatives that would challenge Google's dominance. On the other hand I am invested in their ecosystem and I love their services.

Swa

Honorary Master
It's more than just app quantity. I have loads of premium apps purchased in the Play Store that I'm not willing to lose access to. And I don't want a case where a random app that is the best at what it does isn't available to me on a Huawei so I must find an alternative. Or even worse, a very specific app that connects to a subscription service, like Sam Harris's Waking Up (for mindfulness and meditation) or Pocket Casts, simply not being available at all on Huawei.

There are many potential issues with not having the Play Store, and consumers need not deal with any of those problems given how many great Android flagships are available. Just get an S20 instead and there is nothing to worry about whatsoever basically. Or a OnePlus if you want better value.

When things are as cutthroat as they are between cellphone brands, losing the Play Store makes your value proposition immediately worse for the vast majority of people. Not to mention how godawful not having Google Maps or the native YouTube app would be for almost everyone. Why deal with a platform that requires developers to react and adopt when you can just buy a different device? Makes no sense.
You've just illustrated why being entrenched is a bad thing. Rather than let it continue it should be nipped in the bud now.

Swa

Honorary Master
So you think Facebook, WhatsApp, Instagram etc and going to ignore the US Entity list and produce apps for Huawei?
The way I see it it doesn't apply as they're not producing for Huawei but for a platform. They can also have apps downloadable from sites or release them as freeware.

Dave

Honorary Master
The way I see it it doesn't apply as they're not producing for Huawei but for a platform. They can also have apps downloadable from sites or release them as freeware.
HMS is Huawei owned, the entity list covers all contact with Huawei or any of it's listed subsidiaries.

Edit to add

Making an app for the Huawei system is still working with Huawei, even as freeware. I don't see any American company even considering it.

Swa

Honorary Master
HMS is Huawei owned, the entity list covers all contact with Huawei or any of it's listed subsidiaries.

Edit to add

Making an app for the Huawei system is still working with Huawei, even as freeware. I don't see any American company even considering it.
You don't seem to get what I said. You just make an app and Huawei chooses to include it. It's not working with anybody. But I doubt the entity list can function this way. We will just have to wait and see when these apps DO make their way to HMS as there's no way these companies will give up business to their competitors.

EDIT: Actually the entity list only covers specific contact specifically centered at supplying parts and not all contact. There are still Huawei devices being sold and imported legally in the U.S.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master

Edit to add

Is American companies the only ones that can produce quality material?

skimread

Executive Member
If the P40 is much cheaper than the P30 then I will consider it. Otherwise no. That zoom camera will be super so useful on holiday and for other purposes. Currently my Android phone choices is bloated O/S Samsung or Huawei or some imported phone. That's not much options.

There are some Google apps like Google Translate and Google Maps I can't do without. Surely with the US election coming up irrespective of the result that will go soft on China. Especially if this SARS variant virus causes much more crap.

Swa

Honorary Master
Is American companies the only ones that can produce quality material?
He's more lamenting the fact that people have become so entrenched to using Facebook, WhatsApp, and Instagram that people couldn't go without them if they aren't available. Unfounded fears though as I'm sure Huawei will have all the main apps and even if they don't these companies can release the apps on their websites just without the automatic updates.