Huawei P40 will launch in South Africa – What you need to know

Swa

Honorary Master
If the P40 is much cheaper than the P30 then I will consider it. Otherwise no. That zoom camera will be super so useful on holiday and for other purposes. Currently my Android phone choices is bloated O/S Samsung or Huawei or some imported phone. That's not much options.

There are some Google apps like Google Translate and Google Maps I can't do without. Surely with the US election coming up irrespective of the result that will go soft on China. Especially if this SARS variant virus causes much more crap.
Since I'm a desktop user camera is my main consideration rather than apps.

skimread

Executive Member
Since I'm a desktop user camera is my main consideration rather than apps.
With this phone and its optical zoom I can get rid of my digital camera.

We are in a sharing world. Pictures is the best way to share. To keep memories when we are older and share it with others. A good camera for me is a huge perk for people like me who like to take landscape photos so I can always remember the places I have visited.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
With this phone and its optical zoom I can get rid of my digital camera.

We are in a sharing world. Pictures is the best way to share. To keep memories when we are older and share it with others. A good camera for me is a huge perk for people like me who like to take landscape photos so I can always remember the places I have visited.
S20 Ultra has the zoom and the store with enough apps to support your photography...

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
You've just illustrated why being entrenched is a bad thing. Rather than let it continue it should be nipped in the bud now.
There aren't many companies I trust less than Google, and Huawei is one of them. No thanks, I'll stick to the convenience of OnePlus or Samsung.

R27000...
Less of any issue when you're getting it on contract.

skimread

Executive Member
S20 Ultra has the zoom and the store with enough apps to support your photography...
I don't have that amount of cash unfortunately. If the Huawei P40 is half the price then I I will strongly consider the P40.

Dave

Honorary Master
He's more lamenting the fact that people have become so entrenched to using Facebook, WhatsApp, and Instagram that people couldn't go without them if they aren't available.
Yep, that's the unfortunate truth, 90% of buyers won't ever consider a phone without those apps.

Theres also the issue that western banks won't be pushing out HMS versions of their apps, and many people rely on mobile app banking these days.

Swa

Honorary Master
There aren't many companies I trust less than Google, and Huawei is one of them. No thanks, I'll stick to the convenience of OnePlus or Samsung.
So you trust Samsung, sweet. I don't trust any company so I don't see how Huawei over Google should make a difference.

Dave

Honorary Master
You don't seem to get what I said. You just make an app and Huawei chooses to include it. It's not working with anybody. But I doubt the entity list can function this way. We will just have to wait and see when these apps DO make their way to HMS as there's no way these companies will give up business to their competitors.

EDIT: Actually the entity list only covers specific contact specifically centered at supplying parts and not all contact. There are still Huawei devices being sold and imported legally in the U.S.
Nope, I don't think you understand how draconian the Entity list is. The only Huawei devices still on sale in the USA would have to have been in the USA or en route to the USA before May 16, 2019.

Prohibitions
The Entity List designation prohibits the export, reexport, or transfer of “items subject to the EAR” to Huawei and the listed entities without a license. In essence, “items subject to the EAR” are all commodities, software, and technology, regardless of their sensitivity or other export controls, that are:

1. in the United States
  2. U.S.-origin, wherever located
  3. foreign origin and incorporating more than de minimis amount of “controlled” U.S.-origin content or
  4. the foreign direct product of U.S.-origin technology controlled for national security reasons.
License applications involving parties listed on the Entity List are subject to a presumption of denial. The only exception, pursuant to a Savings Clause in the final rule, applies to items that were previously eligible for shipment to Huawei or its affiliates under a license exception or without a license (i.e., NLR) and which were en route aboard a carrier to a port of export or reexport as of May 16, 2019, pursuant to an existing order.

By the way, Huawei South Africa has been added to the Entity list (as well as every other company connected to Huawei).

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
So you trust Samsung, sweet. I don't trust any company so I don't see how Huawei over Google should make a difference.
If you don't trust any company then it especially doesn't make sense to get a Huawei and subject yourself to the tremendous inconvenience of not having the Play Store and other Google apps. To do so requires a serious hard-on for Huawei.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
If you don't trust any company then it especially doesn't make sense to get a Huawei and subject yourself to the tremendous inconvenience of not having the Play Store and other Google apps. To do so requires a serious hard-on for Huawei.
Again, this is not because Huawei wanted to give you a phone without the play store or without Google services. This was forced upon them, which meant they had to come up something which would keep their mobile division alive. Whether it works or not, that will only be known in the next 6 to 12 months after they fully release HMS across various devices.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Again, this is not because Huawei wanted to give you a phone without the play store or without Google services. This was forced upon them, which meant they had to come up something which would keep their mobile division alive. Whether it works or not, that will only be known in the next 6 to 12 months after they fully release HMS across various devices.
And therein lies the problem. Why would anyone pay flagship money for a phone that may or may not "work" while Huawei experiment with the market?

Perhaps Huawei should think of taking the short term loss and long term view of slashing prices to Xiaomi levels for the P40.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master
And therein lies the problem. Why would anyone pay flagship money for a phone that may or may not "work" while Huawei experiment with the market?

Perhaps Huawei should think of taking the short term loss and long term view of slashing prices to Xiaomi levels for the P40.
Lol so you think by just having Android, that prices should be around R30k for a phone? Remove Android and make the phone R5000? What long term view? That maybe Google will lift the ban, and then they can raise the price of the P40 again?

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Lol so you think by just having Android, that prices should be around R30k for a phone? Remove Android and make the phone R5000? What long term view? That maybe Google will lift the ban, and then they can raise the price of the P40 again?
No. I'm not sure what you are reading into my post, but it's quite straight forward. I'm talking about retaining a high market share while developing their own systems over the next few months/years. People will be more likely to take a chance on a reduced price Huawei than an expensive one with an uncertain future.

It'll be easier over the next 6 to 12 months to keep the customers (who clearly love their Huawei devices) and get them used to life without Google, than to win them back after they abandon Huawei for a rival brand.

Haven't you been reading the thread? People are seriously unsure or just downright hostile to buying the P40. Surely treating it like a loss leader is a gamble worth taking?

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
On GMS vs HMS - it would be interesting to see how the Chinese consumers taking to the changes. The OS/services setback is not nearly as serious if they can keep market share in China. There is mutual interest between the top app developers there and Huawei to ensure the apps work seamlessly - Tiktok, Alibaba, Wechat and the like.

What I would do strategically as Huawei would be to increase the free cloud storage space, including for existing customers. Then you really lock the customers in.

Mprins123

Huawei P40 will launch in South Africa – What you need to know

Huawei’s next generation of flagship P-series smartphones will launch in South Africa this year.

Speaking in an interview with MyBroadband, Huawei South Africa CBG vice president Likun Zhao and Huawei South Africa CTO Akhram Mohamed confirmed that the upcoming devices would roll out to the local market.

“The next flagship devices are coming to South Africa,” Zhao said. “The only difference will be that the new flagships will launch in South Africa without Google Mobile Services (GMS) and with Huawei Mobile Services (HMS) instead.”
They are talking nonsense. Same situation and options they supposedly have now they had when Mate30Pro was released internationally and they decided to not bring it to SA.

Now they change their story. Won't work. People don't know how to use it without Play Store and without Gmail YouTube and Google integration it will be a mess. Countless videos on forums and YouTube on how to sideload apps and most are having issues and some apps like Netflix don't work.

Huawei support? That's a joke. I have been waiting 3 months for a battery on Mate 10 Pro and after 8 visits to Flagship store in Menlyn I gave up. They ate beyond useless. Those people will NOT Be able to handle to influx of people coming to complain about "broken P40" because they can't get it to work. Their useless support is the reason I will upgrade to something else. Sadly because their Hardware is King

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I'm aware that Huawei would rather not be excluding the Play Store. Not our problem.

There is only one justification for going with an Android flagship that lacks Google apps, whilst there are so many competing options that do have them, and that is if it is substantially cheaper than the competition. Way outside flagship money. If the price is comparable then no dice - crap value.

Dave

Honorary Master
There is only one justification for going with an Android flagship that lacks Google apps, whilst there are so many competing options that do have them, and that is if it is substantially cheaper than the competition. Way outside flagship money. If the price is comparable then no dice - crap value.
Agreed, (and I've said this before) I'll be happy to take a chance and mess about with HMS and side loading apps (and hoping they'll work) for $250-$300. Not the full "premier" flagship prices Huawei seem to be dreaming the phones are still worth without GMS and all the associated apps that will be missing.