Huawei P40 will launch in South Africa – What you need to know

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Agreed, (and I've said this before) I'll be happy to take a chance and mess about with HMS and side loading apps (and hoping they'll work) for $250-$300. Not the full "premier" flagship prices Huawei seem to be dreaming the phones are still worth without GMS and all the associated apps that will be missing.
I would actually just get the Xiaomi Mi 10 for half the price and get Samsung S20 level specs + GMS.

They may sacrifice a few small things and their skin is far from great (easily fixed with loading a different ROM), but at the price it's a no-brainer.

Huawei would have to price their phones below Xiaomi for me to consider it one right now...

buffalobill

And therein lies the problem. Why would anyone pay flagship money for a phone that may or may not "work" while Huawei experiment with the market?
While I have the utmost sympathy for Huawei, this is the problem - it must work for me, not the other way around. As far as I'm concerned, there is very little to distinguish mid-range/high-end Android phones from each other. For me, the build quality counts and I'm sold on Huawei for that reason. But I'm not going to put up with half the Android experience. I had a Windows phone once, very nice Nokia, but very limited and very few apps. Not again.

Swa

Honorary Master
Nope, I don't think you understand how draconian the Entity list is. The only Huawei devices still on sale in the USA would have to have been in the USA or en route to the USA before May 16, 2019.

By the way, Huawei South Africa has been added to the Entity list (as well as every other company connected to Huawei).
So all of the hundreds of Huawei products on Amazon are 9 month old stock? I doubt it and it's quite a big range as well with almost every product still available. Also from your quotes the entity list is about exporting and not importing and selling. I also doubt how much clout it has over loading an app on a website.

If you don't trust any company then it especially doesn't make sense to get a Huawei and subject yourself to the tremendous inconvenience of not having the Play Store and other Google apps. To do so requires a serious hard-on for Huawei.
Or a preference for the hardware. Just like I'm on a Nokia N8 and Symbian because of the hardware. You're also making the mistake of different being inferior.

No. I'm not sure what you are reading into my post, but it's quite straight forward. I'm talking about retaining a high market share while developing their own systems over the next few months/years. People will be more likely to take a chance on a reduced price Huawei than an expensive one with an uncertain future.

It'll be easier over the next 6 to 12 months to keep the customers (who clearly love their Huawei devices) and get them used to life without Google, than to win them back after they abandon Huawei for a rival brand.

Haven't you been reading the thread? People are seriously unsure or just downright hostile to buying the P40. Surely treating it like a loss leader is a gamble worth taking?
Only a few vocal app junkies I've seen. There's plenty of competing views of people willing to try it. Really Huawei doesn't need to decrease their prices because that's what you would want.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
So all of the hundreds of Huawei products on Amazon are 9 month old stock? I doubt it and it's quite a big range as well with almost every product still available. Also from your quotes the entity list is about exporting and not importing and selling. I also doubt how much clout it has over loading an app on a website.

Or a preference for the hardware. Just like I'm on a Nokia N8 and Symbian because of the hardware. You're also making the mistake of different being inferior.

Only a few vocal app junkies I've seen. There's plenty of competing views of people willing to try it. Really Huawei doesn't need to decrease their prices because that's what you would want.
Cool. They can continue on their downward spiral and spectacular loss of market share for all I care. I’m just chewing the fat, Huawei is the last phone I’d ever buy.

Swa

Honorary Master
Cool. They can continue on their downward spiral and spectacular loss of market share for all I care. I’m just chewing the fat, Huawei is the last phone I’d ever buy.
Why assume they're on a downward spiral?

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Why assume they're on a downward spiral?
I’ve got ESP.

Nah, only joking, I read this thread.

But maybe you can tell me why you assume they are not on a downward spiral? When after all, Huawei admit themselves that this year is going to be challenging.

Im assuming you do know that they have lost google support and their customers generally have large app libraries on the Play Store? Believe it or not, but that’s a big problem.

neoassasin

I'v browsed throgh the whole thread but I don't think this has been mentioned. I sync all my contacts with my Google account and have been doing so for a long time. So no matter what phone I change to I just log in with my Google account and there are my contacts. and this even works with iPhones. So no mateer if I need to do a sim swop, my phone gets stolen or if I change phones I always have my contacts. What happens if I get a new Huawei, will I need to start transferring contacts back to my sim again, and then to the Huawei phone?

AirWolf

Honorary Master
I'v browsed throgh the whole thread but I don't think this has been mentioned. I sync all my contacts with my Google account and have been doing so for a long time. So no matter what phone I change to I just log in with my Google account and there are my contacts. and this even works with iPhones. So no mateer if I need to do a sim swop, my phone gets stolen or if I change phones I always have my contacts. What happens if I get a new Huawei, will I need to start transferring contacts back to my sim again, and then to the Huawei phone?
Huawei account does the same thing - backs up your contacts.

AirWolf

Honorary Master
Did you ever have one to begin with?

Reactions: Swa

neoassasin

Huawei account does the same thing - backs up your contacts.
I know it does but when coming from a different brand would it have an app to transfer contacts to the Huawei. Then if I change to a different brand would I have to transfer contacts again instead of just logging in with my Google account which automatically syncs all my contacts, calendar, etc.

AirWolf

Honorary Master
I know it does but when coming from a different brand would it have an app to transfer contacts to the Huawei. Then if I change to a different brand would I have to transfer contacts again instead of just logging in with my Google account which automatically syncs all my contacts, calendar, etc.
You don't even need any particular account to move data from one device to another - phone clone app on both let's you move from any device to Huawei. I'm sure other brands have something similar.

neoassasin

You don't even need any particular account to move data from one device to another - phone clone app on both let's you move from any device to Huawei. I'm sure other brands have something similar.
Ok because currently I have a Samsung S10 plus and was looking at the Huawei Mate 40 as a possible replacement due to the crazy prices of the S20, but after reading the article on GSMARENA.COM about the Mate 30 without Google services I guess I'll go back to iPhone again.

Dolby

Honorary Master
That's a lady at work who's parents live in Dubai and they're coming out this week.

I'm contemplating asking her folks to bring it in for me. I'm worried about GMS - but part of me wants to take a chance and see if I can work around it.

I have a few days to decide, so will sleep on it.

AirWolf

Honorary Master
Ok because currently I have a Samsung S10 plus and was looking at the Huawei Mate 40 as a possible replacement due to the crazy prices of the S20, but after reading the article on GSMARENA.COM about the Mate 30 without Google services I guess I'll go back to iPhone again.
Pure Android - GMS
iPhone - iCloud
Huawei - HMS

Going from GMS to iCloud is similar to GMS to HMS.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Pure Android - GMS
iPhone - iCloud
Huawei - HMS

Going from GMS to iCloud is similar to GMS to HMS.
With the small difference that only the App Store and Play Store are ubiquitous for mobile apps. And that Google's apps on both platforms are critically important to most people.

AirWolf

Honorary Master
With the small difference that only the App Store and Play Store are ubiquitous for mobile apps. And that Google's apps on both platforms are critically important to most people.
As @Bryn says, you didn't realise all the google apps are available on iOS?

The question was on backup of contacts.
This whole thread is already about the Google Apps.

Dave

Honorary Master
The question was on backup of contacts.
This whole thread is already about the Google Apps.
You'd be wrong about backup of contacts as well. It syncs across both iOS and Android.