Huawei P40 will launch in South Africa – What you need to know

AirWolf

Honorary Master
Screenshot_20200215_214838_com.android.chrome.jpg

You would still be able to get your Google contacts from a browser even if device did not have Google sync capabilities.

Dave

Honorary Master

AirWolf

Honorary Master
No, all you need to do is sign into your Google account on the iPhone.

Exactly, you have to enable it in settings.

Process flow on new iPhone:
Link your iCloud account.

Process flow on GMS:
Link your Google account.

Process flow on HMS:
Link your Huawei account.

NB. This is initial setup on new device.
Anything else afterwards is secondary setup.

Run of the mill man on the street doesn't care about how it got into the device as long as it's there.

Dave

Honorary Master
Exactly, you have to enable it in settings.
And the problem here (this thread topic) is whether Google will actively block access to their services to HMS users.

They did exactly that when people found a way to side load GMS onto the Mate 30 Pro.

At this stage no one can guarantee any link to Google's services will be available to HMS phones.

AirWolf

Honorary Master
And the problem here (this thread topic) is whether Google will actively block access to their services to HMS users.

They did exactly that when people found a way to side load GMS onto the Mate 30 Pro.

At this stage no one can guarantee any link to Google's services will be available to HMS phones.
I added info to my above post.

You can download Google contacts from any browser on any device.

Dave

Honorary Master
I added info to my above post.

You can download Google contacts from any browser on any device.
except for a small problem, what if Google blocks sync'ing with HMS?

If that happens then linking your Huawei account does nothing.

Process flow on HMS:
Link your Huawei account.
As has been said, no one currently knows how Google will react to HMS, I'd spend $200-$300 and take the risk but I certainly wouldn't do so at $900-$1000.

Having said that, I've already moved on from my P20 Pro to a OnePlus 7 Pro...

AirWolf

Honorary Master
except for a small problem, what if Google blocks sync'ing with HMS?

If that happens then linking your Huawei account does nothing.

As has been said, no one currently knows how Google will react to HMS, I'd spend $200-$300 and take the risk but I certainly wouldn't do so at $900-$1000.

Having said that, I've already moved on from my P20 Pro to a OnePlus 7 Pro...
Steps:
Download contacts in stardard format eg. VCard
Upload into HMS (or any other contacts library for that matter).

Dave

Honorary Master
Steps:
Download contacts in stardard format eg. VCard
Upload into HMS (or any other contacts library for that matter).
So not a matter of just signing into the account on the phone then...

Dave

Honorary Master
Obviously with no GMS.
And that's a problem for the consumer in the street with regards to contact lists.

That's also leaving aside the absence of google apps, banking apps, apps from US companies etc etc.

Swa

Honorary Master
I’ve got ESP.

Nah, only joking, I read this thread.

But maybe you can tell me why you assume they are not on a downward spiral? When after all, Huawei admit themselves that this year is going to be challenging.

Im assuming you do know that they have lost google support and their customers generally have large app libraries on the Play Store? Believe it or not, but that’s a big problem.
Yet they've just landed the contract to supply the U.K. with 5G while smoke is coming out of Trump's ears. You have an extraordinary small view of Huawei when their biggest market isn't even in smartphones so why would some small 1st and 3rd world country have a make or break influence on their business when the biggest smartphone market is in China?

You keep making this mistake of assuming different means inferior by which measure Apple also can't compete against the Play Store. We might actually end up with a situation where Huawei gains customers because of a preference for HMS. I don't know why you want to perpetuate this myth that it's the end and that the majority of customers are tied to the Play Store or even care about it.

Dave

Honorary Master
Yet they've just landed the contract to supply the U.K. with 5G
No, they've been approved to be a minority supplier to parts of the network, and even that isn't a done deal yet.

Swa

Honorary Master
I'v browsed throgh the whole thread but I don't think this has been mentioned. I sync all my contacts with my Google account and have been doing so for a long time. So no matter what phone I change to I just log in with my Google account and there are my contacts. and this even works with iPhones. So no mateer if I need to do a sim swop, my phone gets stolen or if I change phones I always have my contacts. What happens if I get a new Huawei, will I need to start transferring contacts back to my sim again, and then to the Huawei phone?
What makes you think you won't have that functionality on HMS if you have it on Iphone? Not saying you will but there's also no reason you can't. At this stage I see it as a situation where most people simply won't care and the rest will take a wait and see approach.

So not a matter of just signing into the account on the phone then...
It can be automated. That is essentially what the normal syncing process does.

Swa

Honorary Master
No, they've been approved to be a minority supplier to parts of the network, and even that isn't a done deal yet.
Seems big enough to upset the U.S. suppliers.

Arthur

Honorary Master
There are other options for Contacts sync across multiple devices and platforms.

All my Contacts, calendars and mails are in Outlook, so seamlessly available on desktops and devices whatever the platform. Add or update a Contact on say desktop or phone and it painlessly syncs everywhere. Same with Calendars and of course mails.

Seamless effortless sync with desktops since the mid-90s, and with Win Mobile/Pocket PC since Imate days and ActiveSync, and then with Win Phone, Win Mobile, Apple iOS and Android devices.

Just works.

Last edited:

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Yet they've just landed the contract to supply the U.K. with 5G while smoke is coming out of Trump's ears. You have an extraordinary small view of Huawei when their biggest market isn't even in smartphones so why would some small 1st and 3rd world country have a make or break influence on their business when the biggest smartphone market is in China?

You keep making this mistake of assuming different means inferior by which measure Apple also can't compete against the Play Store. We might actually end up with a situation where Huawei gains customers because of a preference for HMS. I don't know why you want to perpetuate this myth that it's the end and that the majority of customers are tied to the Play Store or even care about it.
It’s quite amazing how many words you put in my mouth and views you attribute to me that I don’t actually have.

My point is simple if you care to read it without thinking it’s an argument. It’s not. It was an idea that if people are abandoning Huawei then maybe an idea that this huge company can prop up their smartphone division by subsidising them if sales are dropping because of this GMS issue.

And reading this thread, it would appear most people will not be taking a chance.

That’s it. Simple. Not once did I mention inferior. I did say people who use them love them and they are risking losing them. Not once did I say or infer Huawei are a small company or only sell smartphones. I don’t know why you’d base your argument around that? It was chewing the fat over something that doesn’t affect me or indeed something I care about too much. But I guess you are so used to building your strawman in PD it just come naturally outside of that forum.

Last edited:

AirWolf

Honorary Master
And that's a problem for the consumer in the street with regards to contact lists.
Option A: Phone Clone
Option B: export and import

Being the sole IT person at the company I work for - I get a number of requests to move data from old device to new. What I have noticed is that a 1 out of every 2 people don't even know their Gmail password and create a new account with every device, so Option A works for them.

Option A will still work even if you know your Google password. For the duration of using the device, your contacts will sync to HMS.
The only time you really need to use Option B is if you device is lost/stolen/beyond repair, and in that case to go to GMS or HMS as you now can't go with Option A.