Huawei still doing well in South Africa

Genisys

Honorary Master
Lol you don't know how f-droid works? Shame educate yourself before you spew hogwash...
Oh, look at you. Firstly, I didn't mention F-Drioid. Besides that, you are encouraging people to download from a third party site by telling them to use Aurora. You in the past have bene very vocal about using Petal search. Either way, I refuse to use Aurora. Besides this, most apps rely on Google play services, just downloading it via an alternative site doesn't mean the apps will work. Oh, and thanks for the snarky comment, I can assure you that you are selectively reading and responding.

Crumbl0x

Oh, look at you. Firstly, I didn't mention F-Drioid. Besides that, you are encouraging people to download from a third party site by telling them to use Aurora. You in the past have bene very vocal about using Petal search. Either way, I refuse to use Aurora. Besides this, most apps rely on Google play services, just downloading it via an alternative site doesn't mean the apps will work. Oh, and thanks for the snarky comment, I can assure you that you are selectively reading and responding.
by the way, you are correct on those two fronts of users not biding too well with third party stores and the safety net / GMS problem, but to avoid snark in the future, Aurora doesn't host their APK's, they are still coming directly from the Play Store servers and are hash checked. Only sources like APKmirror and APKpure etc. can be used for that first argument.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Lol the downloads come from the play store. Not even going to bother reading further because it's most likely wrong as well.

rvZA

Expert Member
No thank you. If I need to save money, I'll much rather go for a cheaper Samsung. Not interested in a device which is locked out of the Google Network.

kfc4unme

Screens are weak. They break easy.
I've dropped my p smart countless times. If it were a Samsung I'm sure it would have broken. I like the phone but given the Google issues it's not an option going forward.
Thinking of getting a Xiaomi pro next...

jbroo

I have a P Smart, pre "no Google". 2 years old. Knocked around plenty. No screen protector. Just changed my contract to a SIM only cos it works great and I dont need a new phone.

The screen is fine. The phone is fine.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Yeah tbh starting to heavily favour huawei (and xiaomi) gear...at least where it's not an information security risk. i.e. anything I can firewall off / doesn't require connectivity

From a hardware bang per buck it's hard to match.

JuliusSeizure

I've been using my Huawei P10 lite since late 2019. It's been through countless drops, probably close to a 100. It does have a crack at the rear bottom but fortunately, it is not noticeable nor does it affect usage.

Jase

Executive Member
My P30 pro is still going strong after about 18 months. Wrap around screen protector and the generic clear case it came with seems to be protecting it.

Battery life is good and I use it as a hotspot daily (Cheap pre-paid data where I currently 'reside') and it's still at 40% come bed time.

I love the camera for it's zoom and macro functions (saves me lugging a camera around).

Will I replace it with another Huawei considering it does not have GMS. Maybe / maybe not as long as I can get the basic apps I use frequently, it will not bother me much.

ECHLN

What I’m seeing more and more of us that some of the owners of these new Huawei phones are being blindsided by the lack of GMS. Really sad when some people will be locked in a contract for two years with that fact.

epah

Expert Member
What I’m seeing more and more of us that some of the owners of these new Huawei phones are being blindsided by the lack of GMS. Really sad when some people will be locked in a contract for two years with that fact.
Lat month when i went to MTN to get a sim contract there was a lady wearing vodacom uniform doing an upgrade from a P8lite to P40lite, after all the documents were signed etc the MTN agent went to the back to get the new phone and only then did he tell the lady that she wont be able to use google services on the new phone, they argued about it but eventually the lady took the phone either way, i thought she was also dumb not knowing about this since she clearly worked at vodacom.

StrontiumDog

Honorary Master
Mate 20 Lite here, got it November 2018, been through many drops on a tiled floor, some of which I thought now it's really going to be cracked, but it's still fine, the screen protector and body glove have been doing their job. Just the edge of the screen protector is lifting on the right where a speck of dust got in after about 18 months :-|

1613912660224.png

Botha22

I suspect that's happening to a lot of people. I don't think Huawei will have add much success in SA from 2022, as more people become aware of the compromises / workarounds they will have to make.

epah

Expert Member
They have massive discounts on their products so they probably sell a lot of stuff, however discounts are also a sign that things are not that great.

Tpex

Teh Cyber Ninja
Probably due to the fact that all the big three networks pretty much offer is Huawie, (being on the lower end) Samsung and iPhone, shopping for my upgrade is been sad to say the least

Milano

Honorary Master
Huawei sales suffered less in SA only because there is such a limited range of brands that are readily and widely available locally.