Huawei to use TomTom maps

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
Staff member
Huawei to use TomTom maps

Huawei and TomTom have agreed to a deal which will see Huawei replace Google’s Maps with TomTom maps in its smartphones, reported Reuters.

This follows Huawei being forced to develop a smartphone ecosystem that doesn’t include Google products – including the Android operating – following its blacklisting by US President Donald Trump.

Superjakes

Expert Member
Do they have some kind of Chromecast alternative in the pipeline? Dumping the whole Android ecosystem might make them fall out of favour with their fanbase outside of China.

garyc

Expert Member
Most of the Apple Map data comes from TomTom. I have found that this works a little bit better locally than Google Maps.

Joseph matane

Google Maps seems okay for me, because you can edit the Map but the most challenging part is if Google Maps named certain neighborhood incorrectly, is difficult to convince or correct Google Maps those agents or whoever is approving edits refuses to listen to me.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
This follows Huawei being forced to develop a smartphone ecosystem that doesn’t include Google products – including the Android operating – following its blacklisting by US President Donald Trump.
Yoda speak. They can still use Android since it's open source....