Huawei unveils new 5G routers

Wasabee!

Executive Member
That is impressive how quick they've announced this. Also includes WiFi 6 aka 802.11ax which will be a good compliment to 5G.

This is unlike 1GbE routers that often had 802.11g/n onboard. Now you can possibly utilise the full WAN connection via the LAN wireless.

Joseph matane

Wondering what the price will be.
Least one model has to cost less than R5000 in SA, b618 cost less than R3000 in most retail stores so the entry level model can cost less than R3700 while mid range model can cost less than R4700 and the flagship model can cost less than R6000 Because I had 5G device will be little expensive compared to 4G device by the way I wish Rain 5G can support all three models plus Samsung routers too

airborne

Honorary Master
Have 5G towers even started roll out on any of Sa's networks??

Joseph matane

Have 5G towers even started roll out on any of Sa's networks??
Rain said by June this year they will have live 5G towers since they already have spectrum in 3.5Ghz block that means Rain will roll out sub 6Ghz tech equipment and more than 2500 towers will be connected to 5G, Vodacom said they are upgrading towers in metro's to be ready for 5G all that is needed is spectrum in 3.5Ghz block since icasa can license that spectrum this year if icasa and government wants to, MTN is still slient but maybe next year MTN will roll out 5G in metro's, Cell C won't roll out 5G soon I guess so, Telkom might look into 5G next year and roll out few towers in 2020, hope this helps you to see how far is SA in 5G developments

kyuubi64

Now if only my Poynting antenna supported those 5G frequencies...

lotus123

I still enjoy B315s, I have no plans for an upgrade.
Just got one of those myself, and quite impressed by the speed.

But the management software is the most poorly designed bit of software I've ever seen in a router. Even TP-Link is miles ahead. I'm surprised that there isn't an alternative open source version, like OpenWRT.

Swa

Honorary Master
Least one model has to cost less than R5000 in SA, b618 cost less than R3000 in most retail stores so the entry level model can cost less than R3700 while mid range model can cost less than R4700 and the flagship model can cost less than R6000 Because I had 5G device will be little expensive compared to 4G device by the way I wish Rain 5G can support all three models plus Samsung routers too
R5k is still too expensive. Modems aren't new tech any more so top of the range shouldn't cost more than R3k with the standard devices and mifi under R2k at launch. A plus is that Rain will probably include a few months unlimited with every purchase so helping to shoulder the burden.