HUAWEI WiFi AX3

PurSpyk!!

Expert Member
Hi,

Recently I upgraded from VDSL to Fibre and was sent the HUAWEI WiFi AX3 router. I was previously using an old Telkom Pace router for my VDSL (Netgear router stopped working), and WIFI inside my house was working perfectly. Now with the new router, using similar settings, and even fine tuning the router using the phone app, there are still issues, where WIFI will be randomly lost on devices. The router is in the same location asd the old router, and nothing else has changed. I was expecting this router based on reviews to perform so much better. Any ideas why WIFI is so poor. Also WIFI speeds are way below my fibre speed, which is 200/200, we get 35/150 on the WIFI?

Speedster

Honorary Master
Hi,

Recently I upgraded from VDSL to Fibre and was sent the HUAWEI WiFi AX3 router. I was previously using an old Telkom Pace router for my VDSL (Netgear router stopped working), and WIFI inside my house was working perfectly. Now with the new router, using similar settings, and even fine tuning the router using the phone app, there are still issues, where WIFI will be randomly lost on devices. The router is in the same location asd the old router, and nothing else has changed. I was expecting this router based on reviews to perform so much better. Any ideas why WIFI is so poor. Also WIFI speeds are way below my fibre speed, which is 200/200, we get 35/150 on the WIFI?
Try turning off the 5ghz radio

rubber_otter

Expert Member
What channel is the 2.4GHz running on? I would try changing to an open channel.

So change to 1, 6 or 11. If it is on one of those three, change to one of the other two.

Also check what the channel width is and change to 40MHz (possibly up from 20MHz)

PurSpyk!!

Expert Member
Hi, I have tried all the open channels, the phone app for this router did this automatically when it showed connection issues. I have also set the channel to 40. Nothing seems to help.

Speedster

Honorary Master
Hi, I have tried all the open channels, the phone app for this router did this automatically when it showed connection issues. I have also set the channel to 40. Nothing seems to help.
Channel 40 is 5ghz, which is notoriously poor when any sort of obstruction is involved. If you're wanting the signal to carry 2.4ghz is your best bet (and on an open channel).

Alternatively, where are you based? I have a dlink I'd be willing to swop with you

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
The Ax3 has slightly reduced coverage compared to a modem or router that has 2.5GHz only.

The AX3 is ideal for for 5GHz and wifi 6. I would suggest meshing them for the best performance especially if you have a high speed fibre line.

PurSpyk!!

Expert Member
The Ax3 has slightly reduced coverage compared to a modem or router that has 2.5GHz only.

The AX3 is ideal for for 5GHz and wifi 6. I would suggest meshing them for the best performance especially if you have a high speed fibre line.
Can I mesh this with the old Telkom Pace router?

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
Can I mesh this with the old Telkom Pace router?

You can if you use it in extender mode with cable it would be possible. I'm not sure if it would want to mesh or like it with the Pace router but it does have an extender mode.

Speedster

Honorary Master
You can if you use it in extender mode with cable it would be possible. I'm not sure if it would want to mesh or like it with the Pace router but it does have an extender mode.
It would be an extender though, not mesh

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member
How did you guys manage to pair it up? Did you turn off the ax signal and just run ac?

With the Huawei Mesh systems you just press the H and the devices Auto mesh.

Your main router you will config the wifi SSID and password.

Speedster

Honorary Master
With the Huawei Mesh systems you just press the H and the devices Auto mesh.

Your main router you will config the wifi SSID and password.
^^This. If you're running cable just plug it into wan at the secondary router and it'll do the rest automagically