Huawei Y6p vs Galaxy A21s – Battle of the affordable smartphones

BraBean

Honorary Master
Are they going backwards with the numbering? The Y7p was released February, now the Y6p in May.
Also, Huawei is pushing it with the ads on these. Just a shame, some will struggle without the Google services. I got the Y7p for my wife, could install replacement apps for her, so she's happy. Just some getting use to not being in the grasp of these large companies.

Reactions: Yuu

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
The Galaxy A21s uses the same Google Mobile Services (GMS)-based Android 10 operating system as its predecessors, but Huawei’s device is powered by the recently-overhauled Huawei mobile Services (HMS) ecosystem.

This replaces the Google Play Store with Huawei AppGallery and enables support for a large selection of local applications in addition to native integration of unique features.

Here's a worthwhile advert article idea, how about comparing what apps are available on AppGallery vs Play Store. Just apps that people would normally use during their day to day - whatsapp, telegram, (FNB,ABSA whatever), Uber, Uber eats, Garmin, Strava - things like that.
So people understand the impact of using these phones vs something with Play Store.

BraBean

Honorary Master
Here's a worthwhile advert article idea, how about comparing what apps are available on AppGallery vs Play Store. Just apps that people would normally use during their day to day - whatsapp, telegram, (FNB,ABSA whatever), Uber, Uber eats, Garmin, Strava - things like that.
So people understand the impact of using these phones vs something with Play Store.

Just from my experience, setting it up for my wife.......

(Mostly installed from App Gallery and some from Aptoide. FNB I backed up the APK on her old phone and copied it over, didn't trust any other way)

What works :
Whatsapp
Telegram
FNB
Facebook and FB messenger
Microsoft Office (opens everything from docs to pdf)
EskomsePush
PicknPay app

Replacement apps for the Google ones:
Maps : Here WeGo (works great, Huawei's own one)
gmail : mail.ru (and setup gmail on it)
Youtube : Youtube vanced

Not working:
Google Photos : don't have an solution yet, using Dropbox to backup for now.
Notes : Installed Evernote now for her, she basically have to start over with the note taking. As her Miui notes can't be exported :(
Play music, she's part of my family plan, though she almost never used it. Will re-assign to some other friend.
and everything else google basically.

Maybe this is a good thing, as these large conglomerates have too much power and hold over us.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Are they going backwards with the numbering? The Y7p was released February, now the Y6p in May.
Also, Huawei is pushing it with the ads on these. Just a shame, some will struggle without the Google services. I got the Y7p for my wife, could install replacement apps for her, so she's happy. Just some getting use to not being in the grasp of these large companies.
They've always had the Y6 and Y7 range.

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
Just from my experience, setting it up for my wife.......

(Mostly installed from App Gallery and some from Aptoide. FNB I backed up the APK on her old phone and copied it over, didn't trust any other way)

What works :
Whatsapp
Telegram
FNB
Facebook and FB messenger
Microsoft Office (opens everything from docs to pdf)
EskomsePush
PicknPay app

Replacement apps for the Google ones:
Maps : Here WeGo (works great, Huawei's own one)
gmail : mail.ru (and setup gmail on it)
Youtube : Youtube vanced

Not working:
Google Photos : don't have an solution yet, using Dropbox to backup for now.
Notes : Installed Evernote now for her, she basically have to start over with the note taking. As her Miui notes can't be exported :(
Play music, she's part of my family plan, though she almost never used it. Will re-assign to some other friend.
and everything else google basically.

Maybe this is a good thing, as these large conglomerates have too much power and hold over us.

So to keep her FNB app updated you'll have to copy it every now and again? Not an ideal solution for an app that I'd want most secure, but your list does make it look like it isn't as I have been made to understand.
Thanks!

BraBean

Honorary Master
So to keep her FNB app updated you'll have to copy it every now and again? Not an ideal solution for an app that I'd want most secure, but your list does make it look like it isn't as I have been made to understand.
Thanks!
No, I won't recommend Huawei atm. As some of the main app functionality is missing. It's missing a centralized syncing of app data (photos, contacts, data etc.) that is clearly broken after you remove Google services.
Huawei is pushing ads hard in South Africa without really informing people what's missing. The only thing the Telkom lady told me when I got the phone, is that the memory is a bid small. Luckily I knew what I was getting in to.

I wonder how many people will return their phones, when they find out about google services.

Gudnews

I'm pretty sure R 3 200 is not considered affordable for most South Africans with a cellphone.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
The A20 retailed for 2900 now the A21 is retailing for 1K more. Looks like Samsung have gotten greedy again