Huawei Y9 Prime 2019 vs. Samsung Galaxy A80

Tsepz_011

Expert Member
So I have had the Y9 Prime for review for a little while now and have also had a play on the Samsung A80. Both are seriously awesome devices, something really cool about activating the Selfie Mode in their cameras and watch the Y9 camera pop up or watch Samsung’s entire camera assembly pop up and rotate.

Neither of these devices is perfect though, each have their own Pros and Cons.

Pro for both:
- Huge and uninterrupted Displays (the notch is gone!). It is an absolute pleasure to watch YouTube videos or enjoy a Netflix movie/show on a flight or when you just need to kill time.

Con for both:
- Very large devices, that may put some people off completely, the A80 is particularly large and a bit cumbersome to handle and it gets taller when you put it into the Selfie mode.

Comparing the two:
- Samsung has an AMOLED Display that is larger and slightly higher resolution.
- The Y9 Prime 2019 has a shorter and thinner build which would make it more palm friendly
- The A80 seems to have the more capable camera and uses its main camera assembly for Selfies to.
- The Y9 Prime has a huge 4000mAh Battery, and a super efficient Kirin710F chip, so there won’t any battery anxiety with this one.
- The A80 has 8GB RAM vs the 4GB RAM in the Y9
- The Y9 Prime has 128GB internal Memory that is Expandable with a Memory Card (MicroSD), while the Samsung A80 is limited to 128GB with no Memory Expansion (very weird move Samsung)
- The Y9 Prime brings back the 3.5mm headphone jack while the A80 misses it.
- Y9 Prime has a fast rear mounted Fingerprint Scanner while the A80 uses t a newer yet slower In-Screen Fingerprint Reader

Pricing:
Huawei Y9 Prime 2019: R5,399
Samsung Galaxy A80: R12,999

Something to keep in mind:

Both these devices use quite a few moving parts internally to get the Selfie Cameras going, and so durability maybe in question after sometime, the Samsung in particular seems to have a rather complex design, so keep this in mind when looking at these devices.

Which one would you get between these two and why?

Last edited:

ThaGombami

I would go for the Y9 prime because of the Price and also the fact that it has an expandable memory is a huge plus because with mobile devices 128g is becoming child's play.

I have also come to realise that repairs for Samsung devices are very expensive and one wonders if that rotating selfie camera gets jammed during a rotation how much you would need to get if fixed.

ronz91

Expert Member
Yeah as far as rotating cameras go, I would say the Asus ZenFone implementation is the best I have seen so far.

Would probably take the A70 over the A70. I have the A50 tho lol

Aravose

Great review - thanks. Just a bit strange to compare 2 phones which have such a massive price difference.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Y9 Prime. That huge price difference is incredibly hard to ignore.

Tcyte

I think given the Y9 plus freelace deal, from a pricing point Y9 is way better. A80 might be a good phone but it over priced

Tsepz_011

Expert Member
I think given the Y9 plus freelace deal, from a pricing point Y9 is way better. A80 might be a good phone but it over priced
My assumption is that the A80’s price is pushed up by that whole assembly mechanism Samsung used to push up and flip the camera, it seems a little unnecessarily complex and makes the phone much bigger and heavier than it should be.