Huawei's 5G outdoor router - Hands-on

Daruk

Honorary Master
The rest of the world is playing catch up. Huawaei are on a roll - like them or not.

Solitude

Executive Member
The nicest thing about this is how strong the wifi is. I got one from Rain and I must say it really is one amazing piece of equipment.

Apogee

Can it take other sims...?
Possibly, although that will only be at LTE-speeds of course.

It just doesn't make financial sense to pay R1k/month plus x amount for 3rd party data.

It's your money though. ;)

kmeister

What are the T&C's if you order and cancel down the line, return the router?

Joseph matane

Watch out Mr.Cat7 incoming (overkill) :ROFL: .

I wish they can rip out the Vodacom tower close to me and replace it with a Rain tower.
Talking about that i have a question regarding erecting tower in neighborhoods someone answer this question for me :
With cellphone tower roll out requirements can certain neighborhood contact Mobile Network Operator to negotiate best possible solutions?
Example with FTTH certain neighborhood can show interest in FTTH by signing petition or something like petition to show interest in Fibre Network Provider/Operator roll out consideration.
So can neighborhood residents approach MNO to erect tower if there is none and create special agreements with MNO like if Vodacom erect tower, property owner won't charge them rental fee for certain period if the tower goes live within certain months period and if Vodacom convince Rain and Telkom to use that tower to roll out coverage immediately after is live, property owner will extend free rental period, all Vodacom has to do is pay electricity bill separately?

nahoR

The nicest thing about this is how strong the wifi is. I got one from Rain and I must say it really is one amazing piece of equipment.
Definitely not my experience. The wifi is pretty crappy compared to my b618.

Also it randomly disconnects from the 5G network and I have to restart the thing to get going again. But when it works the speeds are great, I get about 600mbps.

Solitude

Executive Member
Definitely not my experience. The wifi is pretty crappy compared to my b618.

Also it randomly disconnects from the 5G network and I have to restart the thing to get going again. But when it works the speeds are great, I get about 600mbps.
Nice. I also get the constant disconnect thing. A technician is coming to have a look on Monday.

Yskasmetnstoof

It's cool, yes. Now if only Rain's signal can be less wobbly... Too many times all over the show. Then high then low... Nicely high to sheet low.

Yskasmetnstoof

Yeah well... good sounding router ( I use one, unfortunately) but the service behind it is the dog's ass. Rain has started its shyterism again, it seems. The connection has internet access fir about 4 minutes at a time then off for a few minutes then on for a few minutes then off ..... on and on.
Unusable.
And of course no communication from Rain.
Can't believe I fell for this sheet. But st least its month to month.

DXL

Expert Member
Talking about that i have a question regarding erecting tower in neighborhoods someone answer this question for me :
With cellphone tower roll out requirements can certain neighborhood contact Mobile Network Operator to negotiate best possible solutions?
Example with FTTH certain neighborhood can show interest in FTTH by signing petition or something like petition to show interest in Fibre Network Provider/Operator roll out consideration.
So can neighborhood residents approach MNO to erect tower if there is none and create special agreements with MNO like if Vodacom erect tower, property owner won't charge them rental fee for certain period if the tower goes live within certain months period and if Vodacom convince Rain and Telkom to use that tower to roll out coverage immediately after is live, property owner will extend free rental period, all Vodacom has to do is pay electricity bill separately?
You can contact them to advise you have a site. But i will not go as far as offering the site for Free.

They pay anywhere between 5K and 10K just for 10 year lease of the Land.

Offer your site @ 7K per month on condition a lease is signed for 10 years and you will decide if it is feasible to renew after 10 years.

Swa

Honorary Master
Yeah well... good sounding router ( I use one, unfortunately) but the service behind it is the dog's ass. Rain has started its shyterism again, it seems. The connection has internet access fir about 4 minutes at a time then off for a few minutes then on for a few minutes then off ..... on and on.
Unusable.
And of course no communication from Rain.
Can't believe I fell for this sheet. But st least its month to month.
I stayed under a Vodacom tower once. Got access for 10 seconds and then for 10 seconds not.