Huawei's troubles are a big opportunity for Nokia and Ericsson

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Huawei's troubles are a big opportunity for Nokia and Ericsson

Over the past two decades, China’s Huawei Technologies Co. has come to dominate the global telecom equipment market, winning contracts with a mix of sophisticated technology and attractive prices.

Its rise squeezed Europe’s Nokia Oyj and Ericsson AB, which responded by cutting jobs and making acquisitions.

[Bloomberg]

Dups!

Wasn't Ericsson bought by Sony?
No, that was a joint venture on mobile phones only. Ericsson's main business is in telecoms sector. Phones made up about 15 to 20 percent of their profit even during its height as Ericsson.

Sony only bought them out on their joint venture of Sony Ericsson.

To be frank, I wish it was Sony that was bought out, they haven't and never had a clue how to make and price mobile phones.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I’m of the opinion that Huawei didn’t really take this market because they were better (cheaper sure) but because both Nokia and Ericsson were just so bad at doing business stuck in archaic and ancient practises.

As such I think most customers would still avoid them if they could and actively seek out Huawei or other more modern and proactive providers instead.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I’m of the opinion that Huawei didn’t really take this market because they were better (cheaper sure) but because both Nokia and Ericsson were just so bad at doing business stuck in archaic and ancient practises.

As such I think most customers would still avoid them if they could and actively seek out Huawei or other more modern and proactive providers instead.
I would tend to agree on this front... Although the new Nokia devices are good, there are still some serious cracks in their business practices...

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I would tend to agree on this front... Although the new Nokia devices are good, there are still some serious cracks in their business practices...
Yeah it’s really like they expect **** to sell itself.

Ericsson with their proprietary middleware kak that they force you to pay for also doesn’t help when there are much better products in the market and there where Huawei wins with much easier integration.