Huge blast rocks Port of Beirut

Jchan11hk

^ "just a hole full of water"

The blast centre is so close to the jetty, so if the blast destroyed the facility, then sea water comes in to fill the blast centre. Not necessarily from the Ammonium Nitrate, but i do believe in fireworks on top of the ammonium nitrate storage. But one needs to look at the brownish explosion clouds

greg0205

Honorary Master
The blast centre is so close to the jetty, so if the blast destroyed the facility, then sea water comes in to fill the blast centre. Not necessarily from the Ammonium Nitrate, but i do believe in fireworks on top of the ammonium nitrate storage. But one needs to look at the brownish explosion clouds
That red cloud is chemical... It's basically the tell for ammonium nitrate.

Pretty sure the flashes before the explosion were electrical.

Obviously we have to wait for an inquiry, but I don't think fireworks were involved at all.

Grant

Honorary Master
So now, what caused the warehouse filled with chemicals to explode.
What was the catalyst, or was this some form of spontaneous combustion?

eehellfire

Honorary Master
I doubt it. Looks like he took the full blast.
Someone uploaded to Twitter - unlikely to have been someone else.
At that distance he could've survived the blast wave - it's flying debris and shrapnel that would have got him

Drifter

Honorary Master
Well, from the vid it looks like a piece of debris hitting him, then the video cut off.

crocopede

Where can i buy crackers like that?
Need some for new years when the neighbors start waking my dogs with their baby crackers.

rietrot

Honorary Master
So now, what caused the warehouse filled with chemicals to explode.
What was the catalyst, or was this some form of spontaneous combustion?
Apparently welding/maintenance work.

Jchan11hk

That red cloud is chemical... It's basically the tell for ammonium nitrate.

Pretty sure the flashes before the explosion were electrical.

Obviously we have to wait for an inquiry, but I don't think fireworks were involved at all.
I agreed, and did some research that the Ammonium Nitrate will give off Nitrogen Oxides, which is red in colour. This confirms the brownish clouds that formed

Eric

Honorary Master
Yoh, I wonder if video taker is still alive!
I need to know what brand of phone he uses.
But on a serious note. This is exactly why any half decent HEAT training includes covering what to do in a situation like that - don't hang around filming it, getting in the way of the authorities, standing at the window and basically setting yourself up to be in the firing line for the real boom. In the case of terrorist attacks, a simple building fire like that could easily be a decoy to get civilians out doors, in front of the glass and gathering around. Easy pickings.