Huge confusion over South Africa's midnight lockdown

Eniigma

Expert Member
Any truth to rumor about having to wear masks and carry sanitizer when ever you go to the shop during this lock down?
Or the ludicrous no more than two in the car and passenger in the back?

Milano

Honorary Master
Any truth to rumor about having to wear masks and carry sanitizer when ever you go to the shop during this lock down?
That likely came from that debunked foreign lockdown sheet. Also sounds too specific for SA as I'm not sure we have much in the way of such specifics as yet.

Calkem

Would'nt it be easier if he just said: The shut-down will begin Thursday 00:01".... One minute of freedom would'nt hurt now would it?

dabbler

Expert Member
Would'nt it be easier if he just said: The shut-down will begin Thursday 00:01".... One minute of freedom would'nt hurt now would it?
No. that's Thursday morning. Actually starts on Friday 00:01, ie. Thursday 12pm..

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
The story is fake, but the second part is half-true.

If you hire an Uber, it can only carry one passenger, and you must sit in the back seat (1.5m away from the driver).

Minibus taxis can only carry 3 passengers.

This is not a joke, though some may see it as evidence of bizarre rules:

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Yes, it would except it is actually Friday 00:01. >>>> Just another example of someone not paying any attention.

Calkem

Except for, according to some on this forum, 12pm is actually midday -----
You missing the point and being childish now. Let me put it clearly for you to understand.

If the President says 00:00 Thursday it will confuse people, the simplier thing to do it put up a time that wont confuse people be it Thursday, Friday or Monday regardless, NOT that im saying that Thursday is the first isolation date

I hope you get it, the good thing to ask before jumping to conclusions

Calkem

No. that's Thursday morning. Actually starts on Friday 00:01, ie. Thursday 12pm..
Im explaining the same thing to you as I did to @Geoff.D Im not talking about the day in the strictest sense, I am talking about the time. If he said isolation will start on Thursday 13:00 or 00:01 on Thursday will remove all of the confusion, Thursday/Friday/Saturday.

Im not saying isolation starts Thursday. Hope you get it

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Im explaining the same thing to you as I did to @Geoff.D Im not talking about the day in the strictest sense, I am talking about the time. If he said isolation will start on Thursday 13:00 or 00:01 on Thursday will remove all of the confusion, Thursday/Friday/Saturday.

Im not saying isolation starts Thursday. Hope you get it
Oh we got it ------ and what you meant ----- this thread is so full of BS a little light relief is long overdue.

:laugh::giggle:

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
You missing the point and being childish now. Let me put it clearly for you to understand.

If the President says 00:00 Thursday it will confuse people, the simplier thing to do it put up a time that wont confuse people be it Thursday, Friday or Monday regardless, NOT that im saying that Thursday is the first isolation date

I hope you get it, the good thing to ask before jumping to conclusions

Not at all. IF you followed the whole thread [ you did read all the posts I assume?] you will realise just how absurd the arguments are that some posted.
And how absolutely absurd some the standards in use in some countries actually are.

In other words, as an example, IF 5 pm is late afternoon then 9 pm is early evening and 11 pm is late evening, so 12 pm must be midnight? Right Yes? I hope you agree.

Yet according to the latest USA standard, (introduced in 2008) after 11 am comes 12 pm, which is then followed by 1 pm because midnight is actually 12 am. Only the Americans can possibly be that daft just to be different and all this is based because they insist Midnight is 12 am.

Last edited:

Arthur

Honorary Master
7am? 21 pm? I know what they mean, but I wish people would stick to the standards carefully developed and promulgated by the standards bodies.

Just as irritating is the author's inconsistency: No space between the "7" and "am" for the opening time, and a space between "21" and "pm" for the closing time.

In SA we use the SI system. The SABS has published (and mandated) the correct form: HHhmm. The separator is "h". "AM" and "PM" are not used with the 24h time format. Neither is "o'clock".

So
7am should be written 07h00
21pm should be 21h00.

As a trained grammar nazi (erstwhile editor of technical books) I find these errors and inconsistencies irrrrrrrrrrritating.

Sollie

Executive Member
7am? 21 pm? I know what they mean, but I wish people would stick to the standards carefully developed and promulgated by the standards bodies.

Just as irritating is the author's inconsistency: No space between the "7" and "am" for the opening time, and a space between "21" and "pm" for the closing time.

In SA we use the SI system. The SABS has published (and mandated) the correct form: HHhmm. The separator is "h". "AM" and "PM" are not used with the 24h time format. Neither is "o'clock".

So
7am should be written 07h00
21pm should be 21h00.

As a trained grammar nazi (erstwhile editor of technical books) I find these errors and inconsistencies irrrrrrrrrrritating.
Add dates.

Americans: YYYY-dd-mm, rest of the world YYYY-mm-dd.