Huge confusion over South Africa's midnight lockdown

Nemoneiros

Expert Member
They locked my midnight thread which had nothing to do with the lockdown and started this one. Well done MyBB.

Die linker klikke moet vloei

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
everyone understand it perfectly well until RedViking started a thread that confused the world, it even got CR out of bed to address the nation again on what is the definition of a midnight
Not true! This is like the yellow/blue dress thread. Exactly half the population believe that the other half is deluded.

Arthur

Honorary Master
Midnight is like Schrödinger's cat. It is neither Thursday nor Friday. Just that
infinitesimal
period between the end of the previous day and the beginning of the next.
Hehe :cool: Nice

But as Zeno (the Elean) showed 2500 years ago, neither time nor space are infinitely divisible, so both philosophically and empirically there cannot be a snippet of temporal or spatial reality that's not discreetly one or the other.

Otherwise Achilles could never catch the tortoise.

Magnum

Expert Member
Sorry @MightyQuin for insulting you and attacking your personality. That was not my intent. Your photo of the kid just made me make an unnecessary stupid comment in return. I apologise man. https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/midnight-when-is-it-exactly.1075815/page-3#post-25141995

Sorry @Brian_G for insulting you. There was no reason for me to do so even though you did not read the OP. I apologise.

And for anyone else I insulted. I apologise.

@bwana open the thread now please.
I only accept apologies in blood. That word does not exist in my vocabluary. If you can't say anything positive. Keep quiet.

Magnum

Expert Member
This.

I will argue with a soldier until I get shot.
Get shot at.... And at that point I hope he has Recce, Spetnaz, Ranger, Sniper-School, Navy-Seal and Swat training. I will severely fuc him up. He might be wearing full trama plates. That does not include legs, crotch and head.

surface

Executive Member
Get shot at.... And at that point I hope he has Recce, Spetnaz, Ranger, Sniper-School, Navy-Seal and Swat training. I will severely fuc him up. He might be wearing full trama plates. That does not include legs, crotch and head.
My brother, I thought I was the only mossad trained elite navy seal here. Its a small world.

McT

The Humble Scot!
Sorry @MightyQuin for insulting you and attacking your personality. That was not my intent. Your photo of the kid just made me make an unnecessary stupid comment in return. I apologise man. https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/midnight-when-is-it-exactly.1075815/page-3#post-25141995

Sorry @Brian_G for insulting you. There was no reason for me to do so even though you did not read the OP. I apologise.

And for anyone else I insulted. I apologise.

@bwana open the thread now please.
I am not sure I will be handed down demerit points or worse, but I enjoyed the thread. All Most of the comments were said in jest, did not seem hurtful and was written in Off Topic, which I took to be a safe place that could not be considered as spam in the other sub-forum.

Perhaps the one take-away from this locked thread is that you may need to consider writing said questions in Threadkiller or Last Post Wins.

GIF saved for moments in next 3 weeks of lockdown when I need a pick-me-up. To think some clown actually did this; priceless! :ROFL:

markings

Expert Member
A day begins with 00:00 then it is morning, day, evening, night. Midnight is 24:00, which is the same as 00:00 the following day.
Thursday midnight is therefore the night from Thursday to Friday.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Huge confusion over South Africa's midnight lockdown

Last night, President Cyril Ramaphosa announced that as part of the effort to contain the outbreak of the coronavirus, South Africa would enter a 21-day lockdown from midnight on Thursday.

"From midnight on Thursday 26 March until midnight on Thursday 16 April, all South Africans will have to stay at home," President Ramaphosa stated.

The more technically correct??????

Where on earth OP did you get this pearl of useless wisdom from???

Many people understood “midnight on Thursday” to mean the end of Thursday, while many others understood it to mean the more technically accurate 00:00 — the start of Thursday.
Absolutely pathetic for a technical journalist to write something like this! :mad:

lumeer

Expert Member
The day starts at 0:00 (midnight) and ends at 23:59, so technically midnight on Thursday takes place on Thursday morning, but that's not how most people use the term midnight.

This reminds me of those debates in 1999 when people argued over whether the new millenium began in 2000 or 2001, since there was no year 0 AD.

The Rwandan lockdown announcement avoided ambiguity by saying that their lockdown starts at 23:59.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
The day starts at 0:00 (midnight) and ends at 23:59, so technically midnight on Thursday takes place on Thursday morning, but that's not how most people use the term midnight.

This reminds me of those debates in 1999 when people argued over whether the new millenium began in 2000 or 2001, since there was no year 0 AD.

The Rwandan lockdown announcement avoided ambiguity by saying that their lockdown starts at 23:59.
Please! Read your post again!