Huge Telecoms / BitCo routing to HostAfrica

Anthro

Expert Member
Help me understand here, take all the time you need... and then explain it like you would to a five year old.

I have a client who has their server hosted with HostAfrica (Hetzner / Xneelo DC) in JHB.
The client is experiencing high latency via RDP, and is complaining to my callcentre of the bad experience.
300ms + on RDP.
----
One of the support personnel at Huge Telecoms states the following in response to the client query:
Client has been experiencing latency on their link.
We have investigated and it appears to come from the server side.
We have done a tracert from the client to the server and when it leaves our network to your server that is where the latency begins.
--->
Please change the routing for how the client gets to your server.

If there is anything else needed on our end please let us know.

a snippet of the tracert below (excluded the IP of server for privacy) on the hops and DNS name
1634904062839.png

Come on, it leaves South Africa via Cape Town to London ... I cannot change your routing tables... lol

CrypticZA

Expert Member
Help me understand here, take all the time you need... and then explain it like you would to a five year old.

I have a client who has their server hosted with HostAfrica (Hetzner / Xneelo DC) in JHB.
The client is experiencing high latency via RDP, and is complaining to my callcentre of the bad experience.
300ms + on RDP.
----
One of the support personnel at Huge Telecoms states the following in response to the client query:

--->

a snippet of the tracert below (excluded the IP of server for privacy) on the hops and DNS name
View attachment 1172774

Come on, it leaves South Africa via Cape Town to London ... I cannot change your routing tables... lol
So they probably don't peer with them locally would be my guess.

I did a trace from our work RSAWEB connection to the hop before the last and you can see the latency is more or less JHB ping (ignore the spikes), RSAWEB are giving the traffic over at IXP.JHB to Bitco and everything is as it should be.

So Huge Telecom are taking it to London and then peering with Bitco in London and then returning the traffic to JHB so 160 odd to London and then 160 odd back to SA so 320+- ms roundabout

102.135.160.18.png

Huge Telecomes are giving it to Hurricane Electric who gives it to WIOCC who hand it off to Bitco it looks like...

Last edited:

Anthro

Expert Member
I am wondering what level of networking knowledge this guy has from Huge Telecoms, that he tells me to change the routing.. does not seem to be very skilled ?
These are basics, I would imagine to even get a Helpdesk job at an ISP

CrypticZA

Expert Member
I am wondering what level of networking knowledge this guy has from Huge Telecoms, that he tells me to change the routing.. does not seem to be very skilled ?
These are basics, I would imagine to even get a Helpdesk job at an ISP
102.135.160.18.png
Another example from my home connection with Cool Ideas, its on Wifi so pings are jumping a bit but you can see the pings are in line with a JHB ping from CT so for sure a routing issue on Huge Telecoms network.

I see they use a mix of Seacom, Hurricane Electric and Telkom https://bgp.he.net/AS37356

cavedog

Honorary Master
View attachment 1172888
Another example from my home connection with Cool Ideas, its on Wifi so pings are jumping a bit but you can see the pings are in line with a JHB ping from CT so for sure a routing issue on Huge Telecoms network.

I see they use a mix of Seacom, Hurricane Electric and Telkom https://bgp.he.net/AS37356

Looks like Bitco is selectively peering.

CISP is not peering directly with them but rather via IS.

This is not a HostAfrica issue the issue is with BitCo and why they don't want to peer freely just like Seacom and Telkom.

EDIT: Well actually it is both HostAfrica and BitCo issue because it looks like HostAfrica is using only BitCo network and by the looks of it BitCo is not peering with everyone. Maybe selective peering although peeringdb state it's open but I don't believe that.

Are you talking about Huge Telecoms as the FNO and BitCo as the ISP? In that case definitely routing related because HostAfrica is using Bitco network so the traffic should be all on network.

Last edited:

walt chen

this is routing issue your ISP is supposed to sort out, they should higher local pref to Seacom/Telkom instead of HE(free peering)