Hulu Announces Live TV Service Featuring More Than 50 Channels for $39.99 a Month

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
After a wait of several months, Hulu has finally unveiled its streaming TV service in the US. The company announced Hulu Live TV service, today at Upfront presentation event in New York. At the event, Hulu showed the glimpse of its Live TV service to the advertisers.

At launch, Hulu Live TV beta will be available for Apple TV, Chromecast, and Xbox One, along with Android and iPhone. It will soon get the support for other devices such as Mac, Windows PCs, Amazon Fire TV, Roku, and Samsung Smart TVs.

Hulu Live TV service has more than 50 channels spread across categories like sports, entertainment, news and children’s programming along with Hulu’s own library for $39.99 every month. The list of channels includes CBS, NBC, ABC, and Fox along with local channels in many areas.

For sports programming, Hulu has roped in CBS Sports, ESPN, Fox Sports, NBC Sports and TNT. Likewise, for news, it has channels like CNN, CNBC, Fox News, Fox Business and MSNBC. The requirement for entertainment and lifestyle is met by channels like Food Network, HGTV, and Travel Channel, A&E, Cartoon Network/Adult Swim, Disney Channel, Freeform, FX, Bravo, E!, HISTORY, Lifetime, National Geographic, TBS, USA Network, and Viceland.

Hulu’s latest service would come with recording storage of up to 50 hours and will support up to six user profiles and two simultaneous streams. Users can also increase the recording space by shelling out extra cost.

[video=youtube_share;qLvS-G67pCU]https://youtu.be/qLvS-G67pCU[/video]

More:
http://wccftech.com/hulu-live-tv-service/

MightyQuin

Not amused...
What's so great about this? Crappy channels and some very old series for R 600 per month.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
[video=youtube_share;sT-7kxJDX-o]http://youtu.be/sT-7kxJDX-o[/video]

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Looks like a basic cable subscription to me - not all that bad.

What's so great about this? Crappy channels and some very old series for R 600 per month.

:confused: most of the series people are so desperate to download here in SA are broadcast on those "crappy channels".

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Wont be available in SA

Any more unavailable than the standard Hulu service I'm currently watching? ;)

EDIT: just had a look and it's $43.99/month for the no commercial option. Another bonus is being able to watch on two screens at the same time so in theory two households could possibly share a single account?

Last edited:

Hush9300

Expert Member
Has anyone in ZA signed up for this and does it work?

I'm quite interested in it because NBC airs Formula 1 and it will be cheaper than DStv.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Has anyone in ZA signed up for this and does it work?

I'm quite interested in it because NBC airs Formula 1 and it will be cheaper than DStv.

I would in a heartbeat but a) it's not available yet for Roku, and B) I already get almost all of those channels for free by logging in via a US satellite TV account using the channel's own apps.

Drifter

Honorary Master
Any more unavailable than the standard Hulu service I'm currently watching? ;)

EDIT: just had a look and it's $43.99/month for the no commercial option. Another bonus is being able to watch on two screens at the same time so in theory two households could possibly share a single account?

What I meant was without jumping through loops and using region blockers.

MightyQuin

Not amused...
Looks like a basic cable subscription to me - not all that bad.

:confused: most of the series people are so desperate to download here in SA are broadcast on those "crappy channels".

I've seen Seinfeld already....

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
What I meant was without jumping through loops and using region blockers.
Setting up something like Unotelly once is hardly what I consider jumping though hoops especially when you consider the other benefits you get from having a service like that.
I've seen Seinfeld already....
Good for you. While Seinfeld has been available on the vanilla hulu for some time that's not what the new service is about. Judging by your interest in many of the shows mentioned in the daily series thread I'm surprised you're not more interested considering the networks available on the service.

Azg

Expert Member
At that price DSTV seems better. There are not that many popular series that you don't get on DSTV.

MightyQuin

Not amused...
Setting up something like Unotelly once is hardly what I consider jumping though hoops especially when you consider the other benefits you get from having a service like that.
Good for you. While Seinfeld has been available on the vanilla hulu for some time that's not what the new service is about. Judging by your interest in many of the shows mentioned in the daily series thread I'm surprised you're not more interested considering the networks available on the service.

Fair enough. When I looked at the included clip, all I saw was Seinfeld and old movies. None of the new shoes that I do watch, was showcased in that little advertorial.

I went on the Hulu site now and saw a lot of the shows that I do watch and enjoy. So, my apologies.

Re. geo blocking...there are some hoops to jump through. For techies it is easy stuff, for noobs not so much. Biggest issues are services like Unotelly that suddenly get "taken down" and we have massive threads with gnashing of teeth etc.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Fair enough. When I looked at the included clip, all I saw was Seinfeld and old movies. None of the new shoes that I do watch, was showcased in that little advertorial.

I went on the Hulu site now and saw a lot of the shows that I do watch and enjoy. So, my apologies.
Yeah, this new service is actually quite impressive considering the number of networks they've got onboard.

Re. geo blocking...there are some hoops to jump through. For techies it is easy stuff, for noobs not so much. Biggest issues are services like Unotelly that suddenly get "taken down" and we have massive threads with gnashing of teeth etc.
True - but I've been a Hulu user since 2014 and have yet to experience anything like the nexflix debacle.

skateboardt

The new Xbox one app doesn't work with unotelly anymore :crying:, time to cancel i guess.

Rocket-Boy

Honorary Master
I would in a heartbeat but a) it's not available yet for Roku, and B) I already get almost all of those channels for free by logging in via a US satellite TV account using the channel's own apps.

Im also waiting for a roku client before I consider changing my normal hulu sub to this one.
The thing I am most apprehensive about is live tv, I tried watching some dstv after 2 years of having nothing but iptv and its very difficult to flick through channels. Watching what is currently on is very oldschool.