Human Rights Commission confirms it's taking Etzebeth to Equality Court over racial abuse claims

SAguy

Expert Member
Well this can't be good, if it turns out to be true there's a real chance of him not going to WC if people start rallying against him.

Eben Etzebeth has emphatically refuted rumours and a video doing the rounds alleging he was involved in an incident over the weekend in Langebaan.
Inflammatory accusations did the rounds on social media on Sunday, including a video suggesting Etzebeth had been involved in an incident with ‘homeless guys’ in the seaside Cape town of Langebaan.
Bok star denies ‘unfounded’ claims

gamer16

Honorary Master
Kak storie man. Don't see him doing something like that.

Excalibur

Expert Member
SA Rugby: We won’t tolerate violence, racial abuse

‘As good and law-abiding corporate citizens, SA Rugby have given our full co-operation in the Eben Etzebeth investigation and will continue to do so,’ Thursday’s statement reads.

‘The case is in the hands of the NPA and the HRC. We trust and believe they will investigate it thoroughly. Once their findings are known, we will adhere to whatever is decided.

‘We stand by our earlier comments that we will not tolerate acts of violence or racial abuse. SA Rugby will take appropriate action once the legal investigation and process have concluded.’
Link.

skimread

Executive Member

He will probably have to go home just ahead of the quarters to appear in a court. So best timing on their side.

From the video took it is too hard to make out what was said or what happened.

From what I know car guards or beggars were throwing stones at cars and someone called them a hotnot. I didn't know that word sends you to court.

skimread

Executive Member
SAHRC's mandate and target is to only focus on "crimes" committed by whites.

they have ZERO credibility.

Change my mind
I wouldn't be surprised if the people working at the SAHRC are part of the Zupa Bell Pottinger misinformation campaign. In 2016 when it started with Penny Sparrow I can't recall the SAHRC being in the news all time but suddenly it's like they investigate the slightest accusation and it makes national headlines.

Last edited:

Jopie Fourie

Expert Member
The South African Human Rights Commission (SAHRC) has confirmed it will "institute legal proceedings" against Springbok lock Eben Etzebeth in the Equality Court on Friday.

The Western Province rugby star has been accused of racially abusing a fellow patron at a pub in Langebaan in August.

Etzebeth is currently in Japan, where the Springboks are participating in the 2019 Rugby World Cup.

He has denied the allegations, saying "[m]ultiple witnesses can corroborate that".

rambo919

Executive Member
My first reaction was "who the hell is this Etzebeth?".... then saw springboks and "ah ok whatever"

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
So totally expected from the SAHRC.

I hope the Equality Court gets the evidence and witness statements and embarrasses the SAHRC.

C4Cat

Executive Member
It seems, the less interaction one has with another race in South Africa, the better it will be for your own safety.
No, it really just depends on how you interact with other people. If you treat people around you with politeness and respect you will have no problems. If you're unable to do that then, perhaps, yes, best to just stay at home and not interact with anyone.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I don’t like this story. I have been to Langebaan where a coloured group came to intentionally stir up racial nonsense with white people at a venue. It wasn’t a good night. Asking to be called by names, throwing stones at the vehicles, breaking windows… getting up the people’s throats.

This is why this story didn’t come to me as a shock. I believe when they noticed it to be Eben Etzebeth they milked it.

The day the SAHRC started to investigate the issue and promptly made their stance that they were wrong to listen to Eben Eztebeth and then to the victims when it should have been the other way around, I knew the pot was stirring. Ironically, the SAHRC was scheduled to meet up with the alleged victims in Cape Town, but they didn’t pitch up… what happened? Then they engaged in a community visitation IIRC.

The case got wind in its sails, and they had to state,

"This process will give peace to black South Africans that SA Rugby is serious about racism."

So, I am sure that they are revitalising the Ashwin Willemse case as I type.

Rassie better deliver results at this RWC, he is running behind with the SARU ‘policy’, and the SAHRC may aim to make cuts here.

Say Eben is innocent, and his name is cleared, then I won’t be happy with the SAHRC irrespective what they have to say about their process. They will have actively hindered our Rugby World Cup progression, causing division.