Humanities students could lose out on government funding

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator

The government's oversight committee on higher education has endorsed a funding plan for students which would focus on technological skills and reduce state funding for humanities students, the City Press reports.

Following a recent fact-finding mission to Russia, the committee recommended that the higher education and training department focus on increasing the number of graduates in science and technology fields.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Good move.. We need less humanities graduates and more science and tech grads...

The patriotic culture thing is just laughable though... You don't instill that because you want it... You have to make the broader society into something people can be proud of and patriotic towards..

Techne

Honorary Master
More money for students that want to figure out stuff and make stuff work and less money for bitchy, moany, entitled little snowflakes? Well damn, what is next? Kill the racist BEE laws? Is the common sense flu hitting South Africa?

reactor_sa

Executive Member
Going to have to remove the mathematics prerequisite for a lot of courses then, or its going to be a lot cheaper to fund free tertiary lol

3WA

Executive Member
Having the money is one thing, but is the school system going to suddenly start producing enough matriculants to fill all the STEM departments with STEM-capable students?

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Arts and Humanities degrees are useless and increasingly is a number of business related degrees

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
Well, well, decolonisation of Western Education at work, after all Fine Art, Music, Drama, History, Philosophy and Law amongst others are not what make up local culture.
Better to produce happy little workers.
But then again I suppose its for the best, as culture is lost on almost all South Africans anyway.

Last edited:

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
A policy proposal I actually agree with...

Humanities students are the laziest students by quite some distance. Essentially a 3-year holiday, 4 if they decide to do Honours.

BeerIsNotGood...

Executive Member

The government's oversight committee on higher education has endorsed a funding plan for students which would focus on technological skills and reduce state funding for humanities students, the City Press reports.

Following a recent fact-finding mission to Russia, the committee recommended that the higher education and training department focus on increasing the number of graduates in science and technology fields.
Oh nooo...

Wasabee!

Expert Member
In the left corner we have the guvament and in the right corner we have the EFF/BLF/Snowflakes against employment/BA students turned baristas/ANCYL with petrol bombs/Makate who still wants his pls call me money.

This gonna be a good fight.

konfab

Honorary Master
Well, well, decolonisation of Western Education at work, after all Fine Art, Music, Drama, History, Philosophy and Law amongst others are not what make up local culture.
Better to produce happy little workers.
But then again I suppose its for the best, as culture is lost on almost all South Africans anyway.
There is nothing of value being taught in the humanities anyway.

Defunding these parasites will allow the market to take over. Which means we will see less stuff talking about the importance of black anality.
https://read.dukeupress.edu/glq/article-abstract/20/4/439/34905/Black-Anality

HennieWelkom

Arts and Humanities degrees are useless and increasingly is a number of business related degrees
toss
There is nothing of value being taught in the humanities anyway.

Defunding these parasites will allow the market to take over. Which means we will see less stuff talking about the importance of black anality.
https://read.dukeupress.edu/glq/article-abstract/20/4/439/34905/Black-Anality
Bull ****
A policy proposal I actually agree with...

Humanities students are the laziest students by quite some distance. Essentially a 3-year holiday, 4 if they decide to do Honours.
I started working on my music degree when I was 10, talking out of your ass. I worked harder on my degree than at any other part of my career. You have no idea how music students have to bust there ass to graduate.

The problem with all of these Universities don't provide a job, they provide education. An education is much more than just a job, it polishes you as a human being. Who is to say what kind of polish you are interested in is of more worth than another person's.

I mention it again I used my humanities degree to help primary school children gain access to some of the most exclusive public schools in Gauteng. I have indeed used my education to change lives positively, so this derisive attitude towards art degrees is absolute baloney I would like to hear how much of a personal influence you IT graduates have had in the personal lives of children?

Last edited:

lumeer

Folks who rubbish humanities subjects should see how well they themselves do in such subjects before they judge. As Hennie pointed out, a music degree with say piano as an instrument is a very challenging degree, more so than many STEM degrees. Try becoming proficient at sight-reading keyboard music if you think it's so easy. Better yet, have a look at a Grade 6 music theory book (done by children) and then say it's easy.