Humanities students could lose out on government funding

You laugh, but I can assure you, passing an engineering semester course is far easier than learning to play a difficult Beethoven sonata. The numbers of people who can do one or the other bear this out too. How many concert pianists are there in the world? I reckon that first-year algebra or discrete maths is easier than grade 6 (done by schoolchildren) music theory; I shudder to think how much harder the music theory done at university must be. Do you know how complicated harmony is?

One thing you'll notice about classically trained musicians in general, and classically trained pianists and organists especially, is how fast their minds work; you have got to have a fast mind to interpret two sets of staff lines full of chords and other symbols, in real time (and organists have at least three sets of staff lines depending on the number if manuals on the organ - they play with their feet too). These people are SMART.
As others have said, it is not about difficulty, but about demand, or usefulness of large numbers of people with these qualifications.

As for music theory being difficult, I'm sure it is. But if grade 6 is taught to school children, it must tell you something about it's relative difficulty, doesn't it?

rwenzori

Honorary Master
usefulness of large numbers of people with these qualifications.
Useful? To whom? To the state? To 'sosatie'? In some tacky short-term commercial way? Is economic utility the end-goal of academic endeavour?

Admittedly fields like gender studies and grievance studies are 99% rubbish, with psychology not far behind.

DreamKing

Executive Member
have to get rid of social and political science, no question about it.
but I am reserve for art and culture.

Useful? To whom? To the state? To 'sosatie'? In some tacky short-term commercial way? Is economic utility the end-goal of academic endeavour?

Admittedly fields like gender studies and grievance studies are 99% rubbish, with psychology not far behind.
Well, useful to someone. Typically people/companies/government are willing to pay for useful skills that help them reach their goals.

I play a little bit of guitar, and while I find it useful for my own happiness and sense of accomplishment, I have no illusions about how useful my musical ability is to society. There are more than enough musicians to fill the demand, and thus no-one will find my musical skill useful. Certainly not in comparison to my development skill, for which there seems quite a bit of demand, hence it looks like there are more people/companies/governments who would find it useful.

HennieWelkom

And these gender studies cadres can't find work. It's resources wasted.
Bollie, Bollie, Bollie. the university does not concern itself with a job. It is AN EDUCATION PROVIDER, you go there for AN EDUCATION. Education is a way to improve yourself. The humanities student has the same chance of personal growth as anyone in the stems departments.

You may have your life's ambitions down at 18 and study stem as it is your life's work but another person may not have it down what he likes, study English for 4 years and decide to become a chef for a job. Nothing about this makes any area of study more or less worthy of consideration than another.

Emjay

Executive Member
Bollie, Bollie, Bollie. the university does not concern itself with a job. It is AN EDUCATION PROVIDER, you go there for AN EDUCATION. education is a way to improve yourself. The humanities student has the same chance of personal growth as anyone in the stems departments.

You may have your life's ambitions down at 18 and study stem as it is your life's work but another person may not have it down what he likes, study English for 4 years and decide to become a chef for a job. Nothing about this makes any area of study more or less worthy of consideration than another.
Personal achievement can be done outside of the University and is not something that the government should fund. The government should fund skills that are required in order to stimulate the economy and create job growth. The government is not a vehicle to self actualization. Our own actions are.

Personal achievement can be done outside of the University and is not something that the government should fund. The government should fund skills that are required in order to stimulate the economy and create job growth. The government is not a vehicle to self actualization. Our own actions are.
:thumbsup:

BTTB

Folks who rubbish humanities subjects should see how well they themselves do in such subjects before they judge. As Hennie pointed out, a music degree with say piano as an instrument is a very challenging degree, more so than many STEM degrees. Try becoming proficient at sight-reading keyboard music if you think it's so easy. Better yet, have a look at a Grade 6 music theory book (done by children) and then say it's easy.
I did music up to Grade 4 when I was at School. So sorry I never carried on with it as I love all kinds of music including the classical music I played back then. It broadens the mind on a thinking level but can give you a lifetime of enjoyment too.

If singling out humanities means curbing those students who take it just because they need something to do after School and don't qualify for science and technical degrees, then maybe. But how do you know a student might not do well in this field if you don't give them a chance. It is a bit unfair but I see where the argument is coming from.

What we need are more Technical Schools where young people can learn trades. This week in our house I needed to employ Tradesman like a Cabinet Maker, an Electrician and a Plumber because we are remodelling our kitchen, I wont need an Engineer or Doctor. The point is we need people who can work with their hands, people who can build, weld, install and fix things, which Technical Colleges can provide the basics for.

Anyway I lost my train of thought here ..... maybe they should commission a skill set questionnaire to businesses across South Africa to find out what is actually needed on the jobs front. We might be in for a shock?

Brenden_E

Expert Member
I did music up to Grade 4 when I was at School. So sorry I never carried on with it as I love all kinds of music including the classical music I played back then. It broadens the mind on a thinking level but can give you a lifetime of enjoyment too.

If singling out humanities means curbing those students who take it just because they need something to do after School and don't qualify for science and technical degrees, then maybe. But how do you know a student might not do well in this field if you don't give them a chance. It is a bit unfair but I see where the argument is coming from.

What we need are more Technical Schools where young people can learn trades. This week in our house I needed to employ Tradesman like a Cabinet Maker, an Electrician and a Plumber because we are remodelling our kitchen, I wont need an Engineer or Doctor. The point is we need people who can work with their hands, people who can build, weld, install and fix things, which Techical Colleges can provide the basics for.

Anyway I lost my train of thought here ..... maybe they should commission a skill set questionnaire to businesses across South Africa to find out what is actually needed on the jobs front. We might be in for a shock?
There's already a measurement to see which jobs are needed - look at the jobs posted by business.
IT and engineer positions are overwhelmingly needed and there's a ton of open positions for people that have the skills.

Music, not so much. Gender studies? Finding a job requiring gender studies is like finding a four leaf clover.

The Free Radical

Great move.

Get rid of all those Social Marxisim incubators and snowflake safe spaces.
Stop George Soros's influence on the youth with grants to these institutions.

Open lots of technical colleges to qualify artisans and technicians needed in the real world, and Make Professions Great Again!