Humans must leave Earth to survive, says Hawking

http://www.irishexaminer.com/irishe...-qqqm=world-qqqa=world-qqqid=19635-qqqx=1.asp

Humans must leave Earth to survive, says Hawking

By Andrew Woodcock
MANKIND will need to leave planet Earth to ensure the long-term survival of the species, theoretical physicist Professor Stephen Hawking warned yesterday.

Prof Hawking said that space rockets propelled by the kind of matter/antimatter annihilation technology used in Star Trek would be needed to colonise hospitable planets orbiting other stars.

Prof Hawking was speaking ahead of the presentation to him yesterday of Britain’s highest scientific award, the Royal Society’s Copley Medal, previously granted to Charles Darwin, Michael Faraday and Captain James Cook.

He told BBC radio that scientists may be within 20 years of reaching his prediction that mankind would one day “know the mind of God” by understanding all the laws which govern the universe.

And he said that this knowledge may be vital to the human race’s continued existence.

“The long-term survival of the human race is at risk as long as it is confined to a single planet,” he said.

“Disasters such as an asteroid collision or nuclear war could wipe us all out. But once we spread out into space and establish independent colonies, our future should be safe.

“There isn’t anywhere like the Earth in the solar system, so we would have to go to another star.

“Science fiction has developed the idea of warp drive, which takes you instantly to your destination. Unfortunately, this would violate the scientific law which says that nothing can travel faster than light.

“We can still within the law, by using matter/antimatter annihilation, at least reach just below the speed of light. With that, it would be possible to reach the next star in about six years.”

The science fiction series Star Trek has used matter/antimatter annihilation as an explanation for the warp drive which powers spaceships through vast distances in short periods of time.

Start building some spaceships you crazy Boers :cool:.

Last edited:

Debbie

Banned
Ah, well, if it becomes critical I spose I could show you all a planet I've kept laying around as a spare for my odds and ends. We'll talk. ;)

nthdimension

I think terraforming is also technically feasible, but it is a long, slow process. It was either decades or centuries. Either way something politicians would find unpalatable because there'd be no apparent gains within a single political term.

bekdik

Honorary Master
I would welcome earthlings to my planet as long as they guaranteed that politicians and lawyers were excluded.

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
Onwards : To a Galaxy far far away .....
Being South African, we would probabily get hijacked half way there, get stuck behind a taxi and lose our luggage en route:D

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Being South African, we would probabily get hijacked half way there, get stuck behind a taxi and lose our luggage en route:D

LOL

Thanks for the laugh... this is an excellent one! :D :D

Not to mention having VrotMango service thrown in as well... :D

nocilah

Banned
hmm... i know this will never happen in my life time, and i somehow doubt man will ever leave this rock... but certainly would be cool if they did.

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
Imagine that! a special planet for all telkom and postal employees .... Planet of the Apes!

Debbie

Banned

That may be true, but we South Africans would still get there regardless.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Yeah we would... about 70 years AFTER everyone else... still pushing our trollies with little chemical rockets while the rest of humanity is hopping around the galaxy through wormholes and with warp drives and what not....

AND Telscum would still tell us we're getting world class service.

Debbie

Banned
Yeah we would... about 70 years AFTER everyone else... still pushing our trollies with little chemical rockets while the rest of humanity is hopping around the galaxy through wormholes and with warp drives and what not....

Well based on observation, I think SA would turn up with our own warp drives. Once we were there though, we would of course willingly dismantle them ;)

dablakmark8

Honorary Master

AND Telscum would still tell us we're getting world class service.

ROFL..its just cracked me up

Are we realy meanderthal,and technically stupid,or is telkom really keeping us behind

dablakmark8

Honorary Master
.....the year 2085.
telkom guy:hey there is a new place we can F@k people over.
Other telkom man:what do you mean..we have been f@kin them since the 80s alreeady.
telkom guy:Ja but they dont know that.....

Do you get that one,as i just quoted this from a you mag that i found at a dentist.I dont get it

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Ahhh.. yes this is true... we'd have the best warp drives around, arrive, dismantle them and go "look everyone we're playing by the books"....

Do we honestly live in a country that is run by people who are so blatantly stupid and moronic???

K

kingrob

Ahhh.. yes this is true... we'd have the best warp drives around, arrive, dismantle them and go "look everyone we're playing by the books"....

Do we honestly live in a country that is run by people who are so blatantly stupid and moronic???

We just LOVE to suffer....

Debbie

Banned

Yes. You come face to face with the people who are supposedly running the show, and yes, it can get very very very scary.