Hundreds descend on KwaZulu-Natal's ‘Marikana’ in gold rush

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
I say leave them be. Keeping hundreds of imbeciles busy for weeks can only be a good thing and time well used.

Flanders

Honorary Master
I say leave them be. Keeping hundreds of imbeciles busy for weeks can only be a good thing and time well used.
True. And once they figure out they've been duped by nature they need only burn the rocks because the breaking has already been done.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
And which cadre now has the mineral rights freshly signed.

wizardofid

Executive Member
I need an Olympic sized swimming/fire pool dug, I found some diamonds in my backyard just the other day, my address is.....
Numba 1
Nkandla
KZN

:D

schumi

Honorary Master
No gold to be found in the KwaMachi area

The community of KwaMachi, near Harding on the KwaZulu-Natal South Coast, say they are disappointed after the Council for Geoscience (CGS) issued a report stating that the rocks found on a site in the area did not contain gold.

The CGS presented their results to the community last Thursday, several months after the shiny rocks had caused a “gold rush” in the area, with people flocking to the site.
In May last year, police had to be deployed to the rural village to restrict access to the quarry.

Economic Geology and Geochemistry manager Sibongiseni Hlatshwayo said samples of stones taken from the quarry showed no signs of gold.

The report dashed hopes of a budding new industry in the area. At the time of the “gold rush”, small pieces of rock were being sold at varying prices, starting from about R50.

When people were injured during a rockfall at the site, it was fenced off and security guards were deployed to guard the quarry.

Member of the community committee Tony Mbuthuma said the community was not happy with the report.

He said that the community wanted to get their own geologists to inspect the “gold”.

“After the report was brought to our attention, the community had a lot of questions that they asked the CGS member and they didn’t get any responses. One of them is why is that area still fenced off with security guards?” asked Mbuthuma.
More at : https://www.iol.co.za/mercury/news/no-gold-to-be-found-in-the-kwamachi-area-24984960

eg2505

Honorary Master
Fek, just unfence it and let the twats mine and die...... its not like they will listen to anyone who tells them it isn't gold.
this, but then again, look who they all voted for, can you really blame them for believing in Fools gold?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
this, but then again, look who they all voted for, can you really blame them for believing in Fools gold?
I do not blame them for believing in it, since its very easy to mistake for real gold.
I blame them for being retards once they had an official report from a geologist and then dismissing it out of hand because they don't like the answer.

MidnightWizard

Expert Member
I do not blame them for believing in it, since its very easy to mistake for real gold.
I blame them for being retards once they had an official report from a geologist and then dismissing it out of hand because they don't like the answer.
It is really so VERY simple
I do not have much faith in the CGS or -- Economic Geology and Geochemistry manager Sibongiseni Hlatshwayo

Bring along a REAL piece of gold and show WHY it is different -- to the Iron Pyrites

EDIT/ NOT SO SIMPLE !

However, nitric acid will not affect iron pyrites or mica (fool’s gold), but those are brittle and will not pass the hardness test.

Interesting information from Bob Redberg about gold and iron pyrite.
"The reason most prospectors know a lot about the appearance and habits of iron pyrite is twofold:
1) To keep from being fooled.
2) Because of the known association between pyrite and gold. Pyrite is found in, or associated with,
more than 70% of the world's gold deposits."

Canadian Gold Prospectors Forum

This link also has some good information

How to separate Gold from Pyrite

I think I would get samples and then do my OWN tests -- what you need is not too difficult to obtain

There IS real Gold in this area

Umzinto Gold

A Sketch of Colonial Umzinto

BUT then again
One is dealing with .....
People that believe the dead can be raised
and
Pastors that can cure by spraying people with DOOM !

Last edited:

rietrot

Honorary Master
Fek, just unfence it and let the twats mine and die...... its not like they will listen to anyone who tells them it isn't gold.
Maybe they found some new precious metal/stone what makes gold so special anyway.

acidrain

Expert Member
This is a GREAT opportunity for the government to enable these people to mine this gold LEGALLY, and to ensure that people of the area share in the wealth generated from it! Please CR, do something!
The problem I have, if he did make it legal is the issue of health and safety, which clearly they are not even slightly compliant.

rietrot

Honorary Master
The problem I have, if he did make it legal is the issue of health and safety, which clearly they are not even slightly compliant.
There's no health and safety requirements for this type of DIY mining required. Same as any other DIY activity really.

acidrain

Expert Member
There's no health and safety requirements for this type of DIY mining required. Same as any other DIY activity really.
Doesn't mean it shouldn't be applied. The regulations don't differentiate between diy or otherwise and diy in my opinion is standing in a creek shoveling rocks not chipping alongside a sloped face. The risk there is too high to allow legal mining without following safety.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Doesn't mean it shouldn't be applied. The regulations don't differentiate between diy or otherwise and diy in my opinion is standing in a creek shoveling rocks not chipping alongside a sloped face. The risk there is too high to allow legal mining without following safety.
Who will be liable if one of these miners injure themselves. They aren't working for a business who told them to go and dig there.

Last edited:

acidrain

Expert Member
Who will be liable if one of these miners injure themselves. They aren't working for a business who told them to go and dig there.
That is exactly why such a thing should not be legalized. The country should look after its citizens and allowing this is just not safe. It's fine if it was one man because he would be ultimately responsible for his own life but with other people on site, his actions could cause the death of another.

In papua new guinea there is the same thing going on and okes get buried in landslides almost regularly due to rainfall or just the ignorance of gravity when digging.

That aside, there is the crime factor that will follow because I can bet if one guy has a stack of gold, he will probably be killed for it.