Hundreds descend on KwaZulu-Natal's ‘Marikana’ in gold rush

ForceFate

Honorary Master
“After the report was brought to our attention, the community had a lot of questions that they asked the CGS member and they didn’t get any responses. One of them is why is that area still fenced off with security guards?” asked Mbuthuma.
Safety

Daruk

Honorary Master
i am not sure if its real gold but they are selling it from R50 :D
Yeah, doesn't matter if it's dog poo if you can find someone to part with their hard earned cash for it. Eish.

That said, R50 is a reasonable price for a passing tourist to pay for a decent rock.

eg2505

Honorary Master
This being KZN, they may have voted for IFP
maybe, but then again, you voted for them, now you sit and suffer running after fools gold,
so Tshirts and buckets of KFC buys votes even in KZN.

does not matter if its the ANC or the IFP, people there are easily brought and mislead,
so they are easily fooled by somebody shouting about fools gold just as easily.

Daruk

Honorary Master
let me google what a pyrite vein is...:p
Iron Pyrite - fools gold. It's very common in SA, I'm guess this one community is seeing it for the first time?
Honestly, it would take any seasoned journo a day to figure out what this stuff is and report accurately instead of just adding fuel to the fire.

eg2505

Honorary Master
Yeah, doesn't matter if it's dog poo if you can find someone to part with their hard earned cash for it. Eish.
I can only imagine if somebody found a lump in some dog droppings,
maybe claim its a diamond, and worth a lot of money.

you know rural KZN isn't exactly Harvard university

rietrot

Honorary Master
That is exactly why such a thing should not be legalized. The country should look after its citizens and allowing this is just not safe. It's fine if it was one man because he would be ultimately responsible for his own life but with other people on site, his actions could cause the death of another.

In papua new guinea there is the same thing going on and okes get buried in landslides almost regularly due to rainfall or just the ignorance of gravity when digging.

That aside, there is the crime factor that will follow because I can bet if one guy has a stack of gold, he will probably be killed for it.
Nanny-state nonsense.

zophas

Do they really think the real gold mines would have overlooked this new "rich gold deposit"? We have some of the deepest mines in the world made in search of the stuff but they missed a whole lot that's just being laying around?

rietrot

Honorary Master
Do they really think the real gold mines would have overlooked this new "rich gold deposit"? We have some of the deepest mines in the world made in search of the stuff but they missed a whole lot that's just being laying around?
Capital outlay for a mine is millions. These guys can mine for bread and milk money.

ponder

Honorary Master
You are dealing with people that will bury R5000 in a tin outside their front door if some sangoma tells them it will increase to R50k overnight.

zophas

You are dealing with people that will bury R5000 in a tin outside their front door if some sangoma tells them it will increase to R50k overnight.
Lol. And then the sangoma comes and digs the tin up during the night. Lol.

Techne

Honorary Master
Bitcoin-mining... Kwazulu Natal-style. Whatever they get out there, just label it rare and legal tender, setup a "central bank" and charge interest on all those that use it. Then retire rich.

MidnightWizard

Expert Member
You need to read up on the history of GOLD Mining in Natal ( KZN )
There definitely IS Gold as evidenced by the many -- small-workings scattered throughout the province
The deposits are however small and hard <expensive> to work