Husband must pay wife R2m in divorce settlement then R88 000 a month maintenance

TelkomUseless

Honorary Master
Does the maintenance payment come off the income before tax?

Christ - paying that after tax.

R300k income per month
R120.5k pay tax.
R88k Maintenance.

Take home R91k.
Then pay children school fees and medical aid.

Husband living poorer than ex wife

Marriage seems dangerous
Marriage is dangerous

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Does the maintenance payment come off the income before tax?

Christ - paying that after tax.

R300k income per month
R120.5k pay tax.
R88k Maintenance.

Take home R91k.
Then pay children school fees and medical aid.

Husband living poorer than ex wife

Marriage seems dangerous
It'll be recalculated once divorce is concluded.
He will then have to pay at least R88 000 a month towards his wife’s maintenance and that of his two children, apart from school fees and other expenses. This is pending the conclusion of the divorce, when it will again be calculated what his wife and children are entitled to.

TedLasso

Expert Member
I have to agree here. What is her contribution towards the kids?

R88k a month? He must be earning huge amount of ZAR.

He earns 7 Bar a year... wow nice!
Yeah , some jobs. I knew this guy from my child's school and we met up a few times at our house .. super down to earth and stuff.

Once we went to his house which he then he told us they were renting. Holy crap - amazing and when he said his electrical bill was 13k per month because of the control 4 system in the house which never worked well and asking me how to reduce electricity bill , you knew something.

Later found out since he worked for a listed company , his salary without bonuses was around 15 bar a year.

They left the country so I don't have a super rich friend anymore.

TelkomUseless

Honorary Master
Yeah , some jobs. I knew this guy from my child's school and we met up a few times at our house .. super down to earth and stuff.

Once we went to his house which he then he told us they were renting. Holy crap - amazing and when he said his electrical bill was 13k per month because of the control 4 system in the house which never worked well and asking me how to reduce electricity bill , you knew something.

Later found out since he worked for a listed company , his salary without bonuses was around 15 bar a year.

They left the country so I don't have a super rich friend anymore.
15 bar salary... noice. Should have ask him to adopt you as a son :D . Have rich parents :D

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
So are women not equal to men?

So to understand you, you believe that women cannot look after themselves and need men to support them for their whole life.

Cool, so you believe in patriarchy. Because, if you actually believed in equality, you would know whats wrong with what you are supporting.

Equality has been enshrined in our constitution, is it not time that law supports the constitution.
The law doesn't specifically target women. It would protect men as well. And yes, a spouse deserves support for the remainder of his/her life in most circumstances.

You seem to think that there is no opportunity cost to being a housewife or stay-at-home dad. But the cost is huge - that person is giving up opportunities, not growing themselves professionally and rather committing to the welfare of the home. And after potentially decades of that, you'd be happy to divorce your partner, leave her with barely a roof over her head and tell her to make a plan. Even if you were a wealthy individual. Imo, you should take a long, hard look at the kind of person you are if that sits fine with you.

Venomous

Honorary Master
You never let her go (also never let her know)
What if she supprted him and encouraged him and 15 years later he earned 15% more than her and suddenly he became a jackass, coz "she should earn more to keep up with him" or he'll kick her ass out.

Talking about a household where they are both earning over R1mil a year.

I told her infront of him that she should kick him to the curb.
Their house, 3 other properties are hers, the 3 cars, plus she has investments. And they are married ANC-without accrual.

His salary increased, and so did his personal spending. Besides the more basic, tiny retirement policy he has nothing.

She sees to the household and caters for both children.

Howdy

What if she supprted him and encouraged him and 15 years later he earned 15% more than her and suddenly he became a jackass, coz "she should earn more to keep up with him" or he'll kick her ass out.

Talking about a household where they are both earning over R1mil a year.

I told her infront of him that she should kick him to the curb.
Their house, 3 other properties are hers, the 3 cars, plus she has investments. And they are married ANC-without accrual.

His salary increased, and so did his personal spending. Besides the more basic, tiny retirement policy he has nothing.

She sees to the household and caters for both children.
While I was joking, I did not intend dissing what you're saying.

Personally, accepting what you say:
I'd say if they're both earning over a mil a year, she needs to get out. She doesn't need him, rather a good lawyer.

Zukat

Expert Member
The law doesn't specifically target women. It would protect men as well. And yes, a spouse deserves support for the remainder of his/her life in most circumstances.

You seem to think that there is no opportunity cost to being a housewife or stay-at-home dad. But the cost is huge - that person is giving up opportunities, not growing themselves professionally and rather committing to the welfare of the home. And after potentially decades of that, you'd be happy to divorce your partner, leave her with barely a roof over her head and tell her to make a plan. Even if you were a wealthy individual. Imo, you should take a long, hard look at the kind of person you are if that sits fine with you.
Majority of the divorces are initiated by women and if keeping a family unit for the sake of their kids is important to her, she would put in the effort to make sure it doesnt get to the divorce and oh yes we cant forget the "sacrifice" she made by going to do her hair, nails and spa instead of the office everyday. I mean in south africa housewife doesnt even need to press the buttons on appliances, as housekeeper is affordable, so she basically had 1 job- to keep the family together, but why bother right.

alanB

Contract law is already being abandoned, especially when it comes to protection of the consumer and long-term rental agreements and the likes. Any agreement can now be cancelled with a calendar month notice, irrelevant if you signed a 10 or 100 year lease agreement. The only thing the other party can claim is actual losses, if any. No longer can a consumer be held liable for the remaining years of the agreement. That is a good thing for the consumer and for the law too. Maybe not so much for everyone, but it is what it is.

Same here. Courts should ignore ANC's. If a man married a woman and f****ed her into pregnancy, she and the children should remain his responsibility for the rest of all their lives. No person, as with the NCA and fixed agreements, should be allowed protection behind an ANC. This practice already started in recent cases and it should be done away with real soon.
Good luck with your delusion.

If contract law is "being abandoned" why do you have to agree to terms and conditions, to use virtually any product and service?

Obviously you do not run a business, or do much business. But without contract law, businesses could not function, because how would any entity be able to reach any sort of agreement with any other?

It's also obvious that you don't seem to take the agreements you make very seriously. Which means that dealing with you must be "interesting".

You seem to want an "anything goes" type of arrangement when people make deals with each other. But again, why bother trying to reach some sort of agreement, if either party is able to just break that agreement on a whim.

So again, good luck trying to live in that sort of world - it's going to be quite eventful!

vigras rojara

Expert Member
Good luck with your delusion.

If contract law is "being abandoned" why do you have to agree to terms and conditions, to use virtually any product and service?

Obviously you do not run a business, or do much business. But without contract law, businesses could not function, because how would any entity be able to reach any sort of agreement with any other?

It's also obvious that you don't seem to take the agreements you make very seriously. Which means that dealing with you must be "interesting".

You seem to want an "anything goes" type of arrangement when people make deals with each other. But again, why bother trying to reach some sort of agreement, if either party is able to just break that agreement on a whim.

So again, good luck trying to live in that sort of world - it's going to be quite eventful!
He also doesn't seem to understand that ante-nuptial contracts and child support are two separate issues.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
so R88k + R20kpm for rent + kids school fees (at a guess around R2kpm ea) + medical aid.

daveza

Honorary Master
Can he demand s3x twice a week from her as his lifestyle was accustomed to it?

There are children of school-going age so the marriage is at least 6 years old.

Going rate after that period is more likely to be twice a month.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Majority of the divorces are initiated by women and if keeping a family unit for the sake of their kids is important to her, she would put in the effort to make sure it doesnt get to the divorce and oh yes we cant forget the "sacrifice" she made by going to do her hair, nails and spa instead of the office everyday. I mean in south africa housewife doesnt even need to press the buttons on appliances, as housekeeper is affordable, so she basically had 1 job- to keep the family together, but why bother right.
What a toxic attitude. Men do mountains of dumb **** they enjoy, and women do the same. It's irrelevant to important day to day activities unless they are being neglected as a result.

Considering the financial uncertainty (or certainty of poor circumstances) divorce usually causes women, by the time it's happening the marriage has become too miserable or abusive to tolerate. You cannot dump all the responsibility for a functional family on a woman.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot

Zukat

Expert Member
What a toxic attitude. Men do mountains of dumb **** they enjoy, and women do the same. It's irrelevant to important day to day activities unless they are being neglected as a result.

Considering the financial uncertainty (or certainty of poor circumstances) divorce usually causes women, by the time it's happening the marriage has become too miserable or abusive to tolerate. You cannot dump all the responsibility for a functional family on a woman.

The majority of men do dumb **** with their own money, as they don't have the luxury to be stay at home dad and still be respected by their wives and be provided for, its just human nature. "Toxic", "emotionally abusive" is what you usually hear from such divorcing females- anything to justify them leaving the "tyrant", sure he was good for her to be the provider for the past 15 years even to extend of her choosing to have kids with, but suddenly it became too much for her. As much as the fault for breaking the family is on both partners, no man wants to be separated from his kids and it doesn't take much to keep us happy.