Husband must pay wife R2m in divorce settlement then R88 000 a month maintenance

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
The majority of men do dumb **** with their own money, as they don't have the luxury to be stay at home dad and still be respected by their wives and be provided for, its just human nature. "Toxic", "emotionally abusive" is what you usually hear from such divorcing females- anything to justify them leaving the "tyrant", sure he was good for her to be the provider for the past 15 years even to extend of her choosing to have kids with, but suddenly it became too much for her. As much as the fault for breaking the family is on both partners, no man wants to be separated from his kids and it doesn't take much to keep us happy.
This is absolute nonsense. You're basically saying it's always the wife's fault if she can't find a way to make things work in the home. Go volunteer at a domestic abuse call centre for a few hours and you won't feel this way ever again. Being a "provider" is not a license to be a piece of s**t husband.

If a wife does not work then obviously she cannot fund excursions with her own money. What sort of attitude is that? It's depressing to see how many people in this thread alone, never mind the country, seem to have no clue what the point of marriage is or what our marriage laws aim to achieve.

Zukat

Expert Member
This is absolute nonsense. You're basically saying it's always the wife's fault if she can't find a way to make things work in the home. Go volunteer at a domestic abuse call centre for a few hours and you won't feel this way ever again. Being a "provider" is not a license to be a piece of s**t husband.

If a wife does not work then obviously she cannot fund excursions with her own money. What sort of attitude is that? It's depressing to see how many people in this thread alone, never mind the country, seem to have no clue what the point of marriage is or what our marriage laws aim to achieve.
I clearly stated in my reply the fault is on both partners, but sure keep pushing your agenda. Please only bring domestic abuse into this conversation if women was forced to stay with those abusive men, ill wait... nothing? women CHOSE to be with those men and a lot of times they keep going back to them, they dont want nice men.

Exactly, there is no point to marriage and for one party its signing a contract in which other party gains from breaking it. You should rather go visit a divorce court for a day and see how men get destroyed and taken for everything with kids used as bargaining chip in the process.

Chunk20

Expert Member
I clearly stated in my reply the fault is on both partners, but sure keep pushing your agenda. Please only bring domestic abuse into this conversation if women was forced to stay with those abusive men, ill wait... nothing? women CHOSE to be with those men and a lot of times they keep going back to them, they dont want nice men.

Exactly, there is no point to marriage and for one party its signing a contract in which other party gains from breaking it. You should rather go visit a divorce court for a day and see how men get destroyed and taken for everything with kids used as bargaining chip in the process.

Aaah yes you are one of those nice men right?

Bryn

Doubleplusgood

Domestic abuse isn't limited to physical violence. And women don't choose to remain with abusive partners because they want to - it's because they don't feel they have any alternative or because they fear for their children's future.

You seem to want a marriage contract where a woman agrees to:
1. Not work whilst taking care of the home and children
2. Provide unlimited emotional support to her husband
3. Put up with any amount of neglect, abuse, cheating or misery

And if she really must depart the marriage, even if she neglected to grow a career for herself for decades because she was serving you and your family as a housewife, she must walk with nothing. If you see nothing wrong with this, I can only offer my deepest condolences to anyone who ends up married to you.

Sure, there are outlying cases where a woman is a horrible cheat and sees a way to take advantage and move on to the next prospective husband, but this is a mythically rare occurrence compared to simply being unable to cope with a marriage anymore. And in those former cases, lawyers should have a lot to work with in mitigating the settlement amount.

Antenuptial contracts are not falling by the wayside in our courts by the way. The reason so many are declared invalid is because the terms are unreasonable. Wealthy people who get taken for exactly half in their divorce, rather than a much smaller settlement, usually have no one to blame but themselves. Their own greed and disgusting behaviour at the time of marriage resulted in an unenforceable ANC.

Last edited:

Crankshaft

Just another reason not to have any kids.

What's the use of getting married? The only reason I would get married is for tax purposes.