Hyper-Inflation and the impact on loans/bond

killerbyte

Expert Member
This is a what if scenario, and I'd love to hear your opinions on it...

You buy a car and you finance it for R100k, you decide to fix your interest at 10%. The term is 72 months.

One year into the loan the country goes the way of Zim. Hyper-inflation, the printing presses run non-stop to print more money and the Rand tanks.
You are still able to afford your repayment (barely). But the bank is then losing out. The R2000 you are paying per month is worth far less than it used to. Maybe its so bad that R2k gets you a loaf of bread.

Can teh banks adjust the repayment? What would they do in this situation?

Kosmik

Honorary Master
This is a what if scenario, and I'd love to hear your opinions on it...

You buy a car and you finance it for R100k, you decide to fix your interest at 10%. The term is 72 months.

One year into the loan the country goes the way of Zim. Hyper-inflation, the printing presses run non-stop to print more money and the Rand tanks.
You are still able to afford your repayment (barely). But the bank is then losing out. The R2000 you are paying per month is worth far less than it used to. Maybe its so bad that R2k gets you a loaf of bread.

Not to my knowledge. The contract remains in force at the previous terms. They could in theory call up the loan but that's a different kettle of fish. Technically, its not costing them anything more either as the money THEY spent on the loan was at the time prior to hyper inflation.

bchip

Expert Member

This is a very complex situation, not with an easy answer.
My best guess is that - debt stays in force, so win! but
Your salary/income would be inflated away though and you would struggle to make the payments.
The country would only go through this in dire times so looking for work will be a struggle.

The price of the property would increase but because of bad circumstance effectively the house price stays low.
If you cant pay the mortgage the banks still own the house so they can sell and would make their money back.

You also cant really sell your house, because the minute it does get sold you sit with cash..which gets eroded
To avoid this you want to move to another currency, but like with Zim people tried to
get their money out to USD but restrictions were put in place.

Doesnt really seem like a win for anybody.

Edit: Replace house with car but same principle applies

Last edited:

saturnz

Honorary Master
if the SARB adjusts the interest rate you could be in a problem, in the 1980s with relatively high inflation we saw interest rates hit over 20%

I actually have to get some legal advice on a similar issue, I want to insert a "hyper inflation" clause when my leases come up for renewal since the prospect of this is quite real.

In a hyper inflationary environment the interest rate doesn't keep up so debt basically gets wiped out.

You'll have far bigger problems than your car payments however.

My sis took a mortgage out in Zim when it was 1:1 with USD, it's now I think 50:1 (there's no official inflation figures so exchange rate is a good indication), her home loan is now basically 50 times cheaper.

I actually have to get some legal advice on a similar issue, I want to insert a "hyper inflation" clause when my leases come up for renewal since the prospect of this is quite real.

You really can talk the biggest load of nonsense.

chrisc

Executive Member
In Germany in 1921, the Mark deteriorated to 1/10 millionth of its wartime value. People selling goods on suspensive sales agreements closed up shop as it was not worth collecting the money

If you are bothered about hyper inflation, invest money into UTs and ETFs that are based overseas. Naspers earns 90% of its money from overseas business

Sygnia have a range of Euro-based funds

saturnz

Honorary Master
If you are bothered about hyper inflation, invest money into UTs and ETFs that are based overseas. Naspers earns 90% of its money from overseas business

the risk of hyperinflation is global, most of the major central banks are expanding their balance sheets at a rapid rate, purchasing paper assets even if denominated in foreign fiat currency is not really going to help

Tovad

Buy things with intrinsic value - gold, platinum, palladium, rhodium, emeralds (synthetic also ok)