Hyundai Accent 2015 1.6 Fluid Manual Intermittent Clutch Failure

Julezy

Hyundai accent 2015 1.6 fluid manual. Brand new clutch and Master slave cylinder installed. The clutch has also been bled a couple of days ago however the issue still persists. When driving the vehicle for more that 30 to 40 minutes the clutch starts releasing slower and slower until it starts slipping totally and cannot find any gear.This also occurs in heavy traffic as well. One then has to push the vehicle over to the side then wait an hour or two then you are able to maybe find a few gears until it occurs again. Once the vehicle has been parked overnight then clutch feels normal again until the issue randomly occurs again. What could this be? Multiple mechanics are not able to help and have spent quite abit already on the vehicle. Any help will be much appreciated

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Hyundai accent 2015 1.6 fluid manual. Brand new clutch and Master slave cylinder installed. The clutch has also been bled a couple of days ago however the issue still persists. When driving the vehicle for more that 30 to 40 minutes the clutch starts releasing slower and slower until it starts slipping totally and cannot find any gear.This also occurs in heavy traffic as well. One then has to push the vehicle over to the side then wait an hour or two then you are able to maybe find a few gears until it occurs again. Once the vehicle has been parked overnight then clutch feels normal again until the issue randomly occurs again. What could this be? Multiple mechanics are not able to help and have spent quite abit already on the vehicle. Any help will be much appreciated
If the clutch works when it does then you can rule out anything mechanically, I would say they did not bleed it properly or there is a leak somewhere.

Julezy

If the clutch works when it does then you can rule out anything mechanically, I would say they did not bleed it properly or there is a leak somewhere.
Thanks for the reply much appreciated. That's what I think as well. Somewhere there may be air getting into the system or some fluid leaks internally. The problem is a mechanic has already checked all these mechanisms to make sure there aren't any. I'm hoping he may be missing something or overlooking it.

Jaws677

Expert Member
Thanks for the reply much appreciated. That's what I think as well. Somewhere there may be air getting into the system or some fluid leaks internally. The problem is a mechanic has already checked all these mechanisms to make sure there aren't any. I'm hoping he may be missing something or overlooking it.
No.
And air leak would mean that you will not be able to disengage to clutch.

You need hydraulic to be pressured to release the clutch. If you don't have hydraulic power the clutch will be fully disengaged

I think that your clutch has been set incorrectly.

The take point to low. So even with the clutch pedal not depressed there is some pressure on the clutch fork allowing the clutch to slip ever so slightly. This slip will cause the clutch to overheat with time and slip to a point where you can't drive.

You have probably already caused severe damage to the new clutch.

Last edited:

Julezy

No.
And air leak would mean that you will not be able to engage to clutch.

You need hydraulic to be pressured to release the clutch. If you don't have hydraulic power the clutch will be fully engaged

The take point to low. So even with the clutch pedal not depressed there is some pressure on the clutch fork allowing the clutch to slip ever so slightly. This slip will cause the clutch to overheat with time and slip to a point where you can't drive.

This also makes alot of sense thanks for taking the time to reply. The issue with this is that we had been driving the vehicle for two years with absolutely no issues at. In heavy traffic and over long distances. Then last year with covid protocols the car was parked for most of the year. Then this year the problem started occuring. Got stuck about 3times in total now. Friday after getting Hyundai to bleed the clutch as they said it's definitely the issue I tested the vehicle on Saturday drove to Paarl then on way back could feel the clutch starting to release slowly after stopping at a shop in Durbanville. Started car and clutch immediately started showing signs again of failure. (Started to release slower)

Jaws677

Expert Member
In that case there might be a fluid leak somewhere that contaminated the clutch plate friction material.

But it's impossible to diagnose over the internet

Julezy

In that case there might be a fluid leak somewhere that contaminated the clutch plate friction material.

But it's impossible to diagnose over the internet
Thanks for this appreciated!

Trying to get all possible scenarios. Mechanics will keep going through list of possible cause until I'm broke so want to atleast have the conversion with them to maybe target the issue better.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
No.
And air leak would mean that you will not be able to disengage to clutch.

You need hydraulic to be pressured to release the clutch. If you don't have hydraulic power the clutch will be fully disengaged

But you don't really set a hydraulic clutch do you? What will you be setting? Unless someone fiddled with the pedal while the clutch was on its way out?

Am I missing something?

TheChamp

Honorary Master
This also makes alot of sense thanks for taking the time to reply. The issue with this is that we had been driving the vehicle for two years with absolutely no issues at. In heavy traffic and over long distances. Then last year with covid protocols the car was parked for most of the year. Then this year the problem started occuring. Got stuck about 3times in total now. Friday after getting Hyundai to bleed the clutch as they said it's definitely the issue I tested the vehicle on Saturday drove to Paarl then on way back could feel the clutch starting to release slowly after stopping at a shop in Durbanville. Started car and clutch immediately started showing signs again of failure. (Started to release slower)
I am getting lost now, am I the only one who thought the clutch is new and the problems started soon after installation?

Julezy

I am getting lost now, am I the only one who thought the clutch is new and the problems started soon after installation?
The issue started before any mechanical installations. The new cluttch and slave cylinder was done recently as a fix to the issue from Hyundai. The only thing that was carried out on the vehicle before the issue arised was a service at Hyundai a few months before the issue began. New clutch and slave was done to remedy the issue but has not fixed anything. Hope this clears up the misunderstanding

airborne

Honorary Master
The issue started before any mechanical installations. The new cluttch and slave cylinder was done recently as a fix to the issue from Hyundai. The only thing that was carried out on the vehicle before the issue arised was a service at Hyundai a few months before the issue began. New clutch and slave was done to remedy the issue but has not fixed anything. Hope this clears up the misunderstanding
So currently your local Hyundai agent is working on the vehicle and they did the previous work trying to remedy the problem?

Julezy

So currently your local Hyundai agent is working on the vehicle and they did the previous work trying to remedy the problem?
Yebo, will be taking the vehicle in again. new slave was replaced by another mechanic on second opinion(this also was not the issue). They saying they will need to drive the vehicle to be sure of the issue even though what I am explaining is exactly how the problem occurs and it is random as well will drive fine for a day or two then decide to act up. The issue here is they probably going to come back with sayin they need to remove the gearbox again to see what is happening. Really don't have the cash to keep removing the gearbox just for someone that maybe has had the same issue to say oh **** its just a leak somewhere that's causing the issue. Was hoping someone went through something similar.

airborne

Honorary Master
Yebo, will be taking the vehicle in again. new slave was replaced by another mechanic on second opinion(this also was not the issue). They saying they will need to drive the vehicle to be sure of the issue even though what I am explaining is exactly how the problem occurs and it is random as well will drive fine for a day or two then decide to act up. The issue here is they probably going to come back with sayin they need to remove the gearbox again to see what is happening. Really don't have the cash to keep removing the gearbox just for someone that maybe has had the same issue to say oh **** its just a leak somewhere that's causing the issue. Was hoping someone went through something similar.
You need to find a new mechanic asap.

Hyundai couldn't fix it first time and they will slay you with their unnecessarily expensive labour and parts cost, the other mechanic you used is probably as useless. They are throwing parts at the problem without actually knowing what is wrong.

Julezy

You need to find a new mechanic asap.

Hyundai couldn't fix it first time and they will slay you with their unnecessarily expensive labour and parts cost, the other mechanic you used is probably as useless. They are throwing parts at the problem without actually knowing what is wrong.
Any good mechanics you maybe can refer me to in CPT. Would really appreciate it

airborne

Honorary Master
Will hit them up as well. Will spec the issue and see what their recommendation are. Thanks bud
Good luck, probably not a very serious issue, just hope they don't need to pull the gearbox again.