Hyundai Atoz Cambelt Change

mr_norris

Expert Member
Hello!

So - my father has an Atoz / Atos. It's a 2005 model. Cambelt change is WAY overdue.

I phoned up a Hyundai dealer in Durban today and asked for a quote, and they said R4000+ (couple of hundred over that, didn't catch the figure).

Assuming my fathers car is worth R40 000, which I highly doubt, it's pretty much 10% of the value :/ Can't really justify that amount on it.

Does anyone have any advice on where I can get it done in the Durban area?

I wanted to do it through the agents, as I've had trouble using private companies before (I was billed for getting drums skimmed when they weren't skimmed once - sigh).

I'm unsure what to do...

I know it's a big job. But I need to find a way to get it done right but without costing me so much.

-B

mr_norris

Expert Member
Yeah, I thought of them. Problem with them is while their service is excellent and they're reliable - their charges are on par with agents.

Will give them a call on Monday for a quote though.

mintydroid

Expert Member
Your priority is to get it changed before the top half of your engine gets destroyed. It costs a lot more to replace valves, etc.

RedhotNeo

Expert Member
After the free service and warranty is gone.. the cars comes very expensive to maintain and agents are not cheap. If you looking for a cheap solution but excellent workmanship and not interested in stamping your service manual, PM me and i will recommend you to a mechanic i use.

He changed the cam belt on my wife's ATOS and i have had no problems.. Will take him a few hours at his workshop but will get the job done.. You can buy the belt at any Midas and he will fit. And the cost will be south of R1000.. :)

ponder

Honorary Master
Get price for a new belt & tensioner from the agents, midas, autozone & moolas. have it replaced by any mechanic, it's a routine job & not rocket science.

Where in durbs you located so we can recommend possible mechanics.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
Will take him a few hours at his workshop but will get the job done.. You can buy the belt at any Midas and he will fit. And the cost will be south of R1000.. :)

Normally when you change the cambelt you must also change the tensioner and the roller if its over due as the OP says, also inspect the waterpump while you there.

ponder

Honorary Master
Unless they get the timing marks way off then bend the valves :D

Then you're an idiot! :D

Does this car have an interference setup as that would be the way to bend valves?

Last edited:

ponder

Honorary Master
There are a lot of backyard mechanics out there...

And lot of them are way more skilled than the partswapping monkeys you get at dealership workshops. I have more trust in the two mechs I know than the monkeys at dealerships, the one is about 60yrs old and has seen it all, the other is a few years younger than me, learned from his dad who was mech, studied & was also on the vw rallye support team. trying to get your car booked with them is like trying to get a dentist appointment. You do realise that many agents send customer cars to independents when they cant figure it out?

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
Hello!

So - my father has an Atoz / Atos. It's a 2005 model. Cambelt change is WAY overdue.

I phoned up a Hyundai dealer in Durban today and asked for a quote, and they said R4000+ (couple of hundred over that, didn't catch the figure).

Assuming my fathers car is worth R40 000, which I highly doubt, it's pretty much 10% of the value :/ Can't really justify that amount on it.

Does anyone have any advice on where I can get it done in the Durban area?

I wanted to do it through the agents, as I've had trouble using private companies before (I was billed for getting drums skimmed when they weren't skimmed once - sigh).

I'm unsure what to do...

I know it's a big job. But I need to find a way to get it done right but without costing me so much.

-B

We paid R2700 earlier this year for a full major service At Hyundai on our Atos. The actual belt was only R70 or something like that.

What we did learn was to shop around as the previous dealership we used wanted to rape us R500 to change a R5 light bulb. The guys I use are in Stellies so out of question for you but since this is a common basic car, finding a good mechanic should not be hard.