Hyundai Santro/Atos

Nobody Important

Executive Member
My dad bought an Atos many years ago (he did 30000+ km per year), handed down to my sister now (who does 15000+ km per year). It's on 215000 km and still going strong.

Say what you want about them, but they are cheap and reliable. Servicing and parts are inexpensive too. :thumbsup:

So I think for the budget conscious, this new one will be good news.

HeftyCrab

Expert Member
My dad bought an Atos many years ago (he did 30000+ km per year), handed down to my sister now (who does 15000+ km per year). It's on 215000 km and still going strong.

Say what you want about them, but they are cheap and reliable. Servicing and parts are inexpensive too. :thumbsup:

So I think for the budget conscious, this new one will be good news.
My one is only on 80000km now. The earth will probably explode before It dies.

ChrisThomas

My one is only on 80000km now. The earth will probably explode before It dies.
The same can be said about the Getz my friend has. 15 years old and is trouble free as ever, mind you with little maintenance as well. That thing amazes me in a weird way.

Ivan Leon

Expert Member
2018 Hyundai Santro Review
The Hyundai Santro is back and we have driven it in its manual and AMT variants. The Smart Auto option, wide & spacious cabin, and a tonne of features at the top-end make the all-new Santro the segment benchmark. Read our review to find out why.

The top variants of the Hyundai Santro get the touchscreen infotainment system with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto

The Hyundai Santro comes with AC vents at the rear which is a segment first feature offering

Full review & more pics at the link below:

https://auto.ndtv.com/reviews/2018-hyundai-santro-review-1938319

Last edited:

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Hyundai SA hints at Atos pricing; AMT under consideration

Back in September 2018, we learned Hyundai Automotive South Africa had plans to revive the Atos nameplate locally, with the new version of the budget hatchback scheduled to arrive in the first quarter of 2019. And now the local arm of the Korean automaker has hinted at pricing.

Hyundai SA told CARmag.co.za it hoped to bring in the new Atos – which was revealed wearing the Santro badge in India in October 2018 – starting from around R150 000. The new Atos will, of course, slot in below the Grand i10 (the latter currently priced from R162 900) and thus compete against the likes of the Renault Kwid, facelifted Datsun Go and Suzuki Celerio.

In India, the new Atos employs a naturally aspirated 1,1-litre, four-cylinder petrol engine offering 51 kW at 5 500 r/min and 99 N.m at 4 500 r/min, and facilitating a top speed of 150 km/h.

Interestingly, Hyundai SA furthermore confirmed to us that a five-speed automated manual gearbox (AMT) is under consideration for the local market, in addition to the standard manual with the same number of cogs. Local testing of this AMT is set to commence shortly (in high-altitude areas of the country), with the SA distributor likely to request different gear ratios to those used in the Indian-spec model.

As a reminder, the newcomer measures 3 610 mm long, 1 645 mm wide and 1 560 mm tall, with a wheelbase of 2 400 mm. Inside, the electric window switches are sited centrally (near the gear-lever), while the air-conditioning vents take on a propeller design. Dedicated vents for the rear passengers are also included.

The luggage compartment measures 235 litres (and the fuel tank holds 35 litres), according to Hyundai, while a new 7,0-inch touchscreen infotainment system will be offered in the Indian-spec model (local specifications have, of course, yet to be revealed). This multimedia system supports Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, boasts voice control and includes a reversing camera.

Safety features on the Indian-spec model include ABS with EBD, dual airbags (for the flagship version, anyway), rear parking sensors and a speed-sensing automatic door locking function. Riding on Hyundai’s K1 platform, the brand claims the new Atos features a “strong body structure” (we’re guessing Global NCAP will put that to the test in the near future).

https://www.carmag.co.za/news/hyundai-sa-hints-atos-pricing-amt-consideration/

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Hyundai to Reintroduce Atos in 2019

Hyundai South Africa will be bringing back the Atos nameplate in 2019 with an all-new model.

During the mid-to-late 2000s, the Hyundai Atos offered pretty good value in the A segment, 5-door hatchback market. As Hyundai streamlined its product offering, the Atos got the chop in favour of the i10 and Grand i10 models. In 2019, Hyundai plans to bring the Atos back to the South African to capitalise in the budget end of the market.

The 2019 Atos will be imported from India where it's sold as a Santro (that's why the pictured cars are named Santro). Hyundai SA plans to sneak the Atos in under the Grand i10 as a budget offering to compete with the likes of the Datsun Go, Suzuki Celerio and Renault Kwid that appear to be lapping up sales in a segment where buyers are purely looking for A to B, affordable transport.

The engine lineup for SA is not confirmed but initial reports suggest either a 1.0-litre or 1.1-litre naturally aspirated motor will be used. A 5-speed manual gearbox will be used either way and Hyundai also appears keen to try and sell an AMT gearbox similar to what Renault does with the Kwid.

We don't know the exact specification that Hyundai will bring, but it's fair to suggest it will be quite similar to the Indian market's Santro. The model includes ABS, EBD and a driver airbag. There appears to be a touchscreen that is Android Auto and Apple Carplay capable with Bluetooth and a USB port. Some models have electric windows front and back and front fog lamps.

https://www.cars.co.za/motoring_news/hyundai-to-reintroduce-atos-in-2019/45854/

Ivan Leon

Expert Member
Hyundai Santro : Official Review - (India-spec version)
The Hyundai Santro is on sale in India at a price of between Rs. 3.90 - 5.65 lakhs (ex-Delhi).

What you'll like:

• Excellent quality & refinement. Truly impressive for this class of car
• Smart, practical & well-designed cabin with a chilling air-con & nice audio system
• 4-cylinder goodness in a segment full of 3-cylinders
• AMT with electric actuators is easily the best-in-class; this is the most sorted AMT in India
• Suspension offers a compliant ride & neutral handling
• Features such as the touchscreen head-unit, reversing camera, rear air-con & more
• Hyundai's fuss-free ownership experience & excellent after-sales service

What you won't:

• Pricey! Top variants are undeniably expensive
• Quirky front-end styling will polarize opinions
• AMT unavailable in the Asta variant with dual airbags. Also, it’s not as smooth as a regular AT
• Missing equipment – no alloy wheels, a fixed steering position & useless rear headrests!
• Rear seat is better suited to 2 adults rather than 3
• After dealer discounts, the superior Grand i10’s price is too close

The new Santro is built on the K1 platform, which we believe is derived from the Grand i10's platform. Following Hyundai's new "Dynamic Tension" design language, it looks like an evolution of the i10 rather than the old Santro. The car has a distinct i10 vibe to it.

Coming to dimensions, it is 45 mm longer and 120 mm wider than the older car. Its wheelbase of 2,400 mm is 20 mm longer too. However, at 1,590 mm, its height is 30 mm lesser than the old car.

As we have come to expect of Hyundai, the paint quality and build are impressive at this price point, while the panel gaps are even. Even the gaps around the bonnet and boot aren't much wider than in other areas (manufacturers usually goof up here).

The doors have some weight to them as well, while the bonnet is on the heavier side for a car of this segment.

There is some flex on the front fenders and doors when pressed with a thumb though. The flex is much lesser on the bonnet, hatch and rear fenders.

Coming to safety, the body of the Santro is developed with 19% Advanced High Strength Steel (AHSS) + 44% High Strength Steel (HSS). Hyundai claims this increases the stiffness & structural rigidity.

All we can say is, the only safety talk that counts is the NCAP rating and we'll hold our opinion until the car is crash-tested.

The Asta variant is equipped with dual airbags, ABS with EBD, speed sensing door locks and an impact sensing auto door unlock system.

Hyundai claims that the Santro is pedestrian protection-compliant, and also with frontal and side collision norms.

CNG cars (Magna and Sportz variants) come with fire extinguishers.

Like most new cars, the Santro is equipped with an audible speed warning system.

Santro MT engine bay

Santro AMT engine bay - note the transmission control unit for the electronic gear + clutch actuators located in front of the battery

Full review & many more pics at the link below:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/official-new-car-reviews/205678-hyundai-santro-official-review.html

Last edited:

Sugarman

Making Sugar
Hyundai's answer to the hideous Brio, trying to see which one looks the worst

Ivan Leon

Expert Member
Last edited:

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Hyundai Atos (2019) Specs & Price

Hyundai South Africa will be offering an all-new Atos to the budget market. Here are some details as well as a price.

The 2019 Atos will be imported from India where it's sold as a Santro. Hyundai SA plans to sneak the Atos in under the Grand i10 as a budget offering to compete with the likes of the Datsun Go, Suzuki Celerio and Renault Kwid that appear to be lapping up sales in a segment where buyers are purely looking for A to B, affordable transport.

In terms of engines, the Hyundai SA website says the new Atos will be available with a 1.1-litre petrol engine mated to a manual gearbox. With 50 kW and 99 Nm, it should be light on fuel too. While other details are scarce, the local website makes mention of Apple CarPlay functionality, but strangely not Android Auto. On the plus side, smartphone connectivity will allow music streaming, navigation and hands-free communication in this vehicle.

We'll have more information closer to the vehicle's launch which is being launched in early November 2019.

Hyundai Atos Price in South Africa (October 2019)

Hyundai 1.1 Motion MT R159 900

Hyundai-Atos-1.jpegHyundai-Atos-2.jpegHyundai-Atos-3.jpeg

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
When compared to the top-spec India Santro model, it looks like SA is getting the poverty-spec 'Atos' version - it has no rear wipe/wash, no rear parking sensors, no reversing camera, no front fog-lights, no chrome trim around the grille, no extra rear electric window switches behind the gear lever.............etc, etc.
Disappointing but SA

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Pricing! New Hyundai Atos budget hatch quietly arrives in South Africa

Hyundai Automotive South Africa has quietly revealed pricing for the new Atos budget hatchback, with the local range comprising just a single variant at launch.

So, how much are you looking at for the new Indian-built model? Well, the Atos 1,1 Motion is priced at R159 900, which will see it competing with the likes of the Datsun Go, Renault Kwid, Suzuki Celerio and the base model in the Kia Picanto range. For the record, that makes it some R12 000 less expensive than the base Grand i10.

Power comes from the Korean brand’s naturally aspirated 1,1-litre four-cylinder petrol engine, which offers the front axle some 50 kW (at 5 500 r/min) and 99 N.m (at 2 800 r/min) via a five-speed manual gearbox. Interestingly, Hyundai Automotive SA earlier told CARmag.co.za an automated manual gearbox was also under consideration, although it seemingly won't be offered from launch.

As a reminder, the new Atos (which is badged as the Santro in India) measures 3 610 mm long, 1 645 mm wide and 1 560 mm tall, with a wheelbase of 2 400 mm. Ground clearance comes in at 165 mm, while 14-inch steelies (with wheel covers) ship standard.

eg2505

Honorary Master
any chance the fancier version might eventually arrive locally?

or is the grand i10 the go to model locally?