I am getting Fibre!!!

SlowInternet

Executive Member
It's been nearly 3 weeks since I last saw the Technicians that are installing fibre in my area. On 20 July when they installed the boxed on the poles they said that the splicing will be done by the next Monday but they never came to do it.

unobeat

Seems we getting fibre by middle of September at most as the technicians are busy running the last bits of lines and testing.

I cannot wait.
Its gooc timing as my LTE contract with MTN ends beginning of November. Hopefully fibre will be live latest by end of September then beginning of October i can order my fibre(not sure which ISP to go with(WebAfrica or Afrihost) and also put in a cancelation with MTN.

Exciting times ahead.

powermzii

Expert Member
Seems we getting fibre by middle of September at most as the technicians are busy running the last bits of lines and testing.

I cannot wait.
Its gooc timing as my LTE contract with MTN ends beginning of November. Hopefully fibre will be live latest by end of September then beginning of October i can order my fibre(not sure which ISP to go with(WebAfrica or Afrihost) and also put in a cancelation with MTN.

Exciting times ahead.
Stay away from Webafrica

Polymathic

Honorary Master
My uncle who knows somebody senior in a fibre contractor company was told by that person that the councilor our ward is refusing to greenlight way leaves .

This is what you get when your ward councilor is ANC. These bastards gerrymandered the ward when we were integrated into the Durban Metro. 2 random black majority neighborhoods were integrated into our ward one of which only half the town is in the Durban Metro whilst the other half of the neighborhood is in the Durban Metro and the other half is in an entirely different metro.

xodosman123

Expert Member
Backward thinking body corporates too many of those around...Trust me i know when you have many properties I see the absolute idiots that think they own everything and think they are some type of God, but it is not like that they are actualy put in place to make sure that the funds and descisions are made correctly for the benefit of all owner's.

SlowInternet

Executive Member
I cannot wait for the fibre in my area but it's going slow now. On 20 July they said 3-4 weeks to go live but now it seems that we will be lucky if it goes live at end of September.

The last few weeks they have been busy with the underground fibre cables. I've seen them use green and orange cabling.

PaulMurkin

Expert Member
Backward thinking body corporates too many of those around...Trust me i know when you have many properties I see the absolute idiots that think they own everything and think they are some type of God, but it is not like that they are actualy put in place to make sure that the funds and descisions are made correctly for the benefit of all owner's.
Didn't you know that a body corporate is an alternative to the old age home?

JonOpollo

I cannot wait for the fibre in my area but it's going slow now. On 20 July they said 3-4 weeks to go live but now it seems that we will be lucky if it goes live at end of September.

The last few weeks they have been busy with the underground fibre cables. I've seen them use green and orange cabling.
Same here on week 10 now since June actually. Openserve said end July/August and has only let a sector of the area live. Meanwhile octotel is speeding through areas.

powermzii

Expert Member
Same here on week 10 now since June actually. Openserve said end July/August and has only let a sector of the area live. Meanwhile octotel is speeding through areas.
If at all possible get Openserve - lots of users have issues on Octo (packet loss, connection dropping)

JonOpollo

If at all possible get Openserve - lots of users have issues on Octo (packet loss, connection dropping)
Yup mind has been dead set on openserve. I just dont get why they're taking so longfor aerial, wonder if something went wrong. They've completed the area with predominantly octotel subs.

Vorastra

Executive Member
My uncle who knows somebody senior in a fibre contractor company was told by that person that the councilor our ward is refusing to greenlight way leaves .

This is what you get when your ward councilor is ANC. These bastards gerrymandered the ward when we were integrated into the Durban Metro. 2 random black majority neighborhoods were integrated into our ward one of which only half the town is in the Durban Metro whilst the other half of the neighborhood is in the Durban Metro and the other half is in an entirely different metro.
Didn't know ward councillors had anywhere close to this much power.
I just assumed it was done by muni.

The joys of a DA ward in Durban, I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Magnum

Executive Member
Fibre is coming to my complex next week.

Yeeessssssss!

After fighting with the bodycorp since November last year to get fibre to my house, Vodacom refused to install to my house even after I finally got approval from bodycorp to go ahead. Vodadollars then changed their tune and said they won't install until the whole complex signs up.

Long story short, both parties being pathetic, suddenly got a message yesterday they will start installing to the whole complex next week. (A week or two ago the complex said they refuse to use Vodacom) .

My house last on the list. (of course).

They will only provide the list of ISP's we can arrange fibre from once Vodadollars are finished installing.
It is Overrated.

Move along, Nothing Special.

RedViking

Nord of the South
I have been without Fibre since last week Friday-ish. Usually it sort itself out, so on Sunday (5th) I logged a ticket. It is now a week later and finally it has been fixed today. (Thank goodness I also have a backup Fixed LTE and Mobile LTE line).

Cool Ideas has phoned ME at least twice a day since I logged the ticket and to confirm if Vodacom has contacted me yet. Vodacom scheduled for Wednesday, but never pitched up. Then Thursday they pitched up after a reschedule, but then disappeared later the day. Cool Ideas then escalated the matter (whatever that means, do you guys send out an Avenger Pigeon @PBCool ?).

The Vodacom technician was here today again (Friday) and said he is not allowed to leave until my line is fixed. So he was running up and down trying to figure out why he couldn't get it fixed yesterday. I had to lend him a ladder as that is it not supplied to a technician. Anyways. It has been fixed and the Vodacom techi can relax now.

Massive shout-out to Dwayne S at Cool Ideas giving me a call couple of times a day this week and Smangele D. who called today in absence of Dwayne getting in some sleep preparing for his promotion.

Except for not being able to download..... uhm... important work files, I had zero stress or effort from my side in getting it sorted.

Thanks Team, I am glad to see nothing changed since the Afrihost merger news!

Edit: Oh, I also got a lower bill last month as well as a faster line. I don't know what is happening there, but I am super happy.

1631276630784.png

SlowInternet

Executive Member
The fibre guys doing the trenching in my suburb are damaging the underground powercables and waterpipes nearly every day. Everyday there are parts that either don't have water or electricity. :(

Dan C

Honorary Master
I'm sure and I cannot wait for fibre.

They are just taking very long now. When they started they did the aerial fibre cabling, now they are trenching in every street.
Luckily I only had about 2 hours downtime of power when they hit a cable in my area.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Didn't know ward councillors had anywhere close to this much power.
I just assumed it was done by muni.

The joys of a DA ward in Durban, I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
There's a reason why ANC members are putting hits on other party members to get their party's councilor nomination