I am in the process of being scammed. Any ideas on how to nail this scammer?

hvr

I need help with a scammer...

Hi, Everybody.

So I am pretty sure I am in the process of being scammed...
A guy contacted me via our website and requested quotations, wich I provided. He then proceeded to place an order. (We are a small company, and for us, this is a pretty big order)
The whole process felt a bit too easy. Everything went just a tad too smooth. I*felt a bit uneasy and did a google search on the*company name and details. Turns out this guy has a*history of scamming people and keeps getting away with it.

I have not alerted the scammer yet - and I will have to "deliver" the goods at some point, so*I thought of ways to nail this*guy. A few ideas came up, but then I realised*that this guy knows too much about me, and I don't not*how deep the*"hole" is - so I might be getting in over my head.*

Anybody have any suggestions? Do you maybe have connections in the SAPS? A detective friend maybe? A Reporter? Any suggestions? Carte Blanche perhaps?

I could also play it safer and just let the whole thing go.

I would appreciate any advice and/or suggestions.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master

Hi, Everybody.

A guy contacted me via our website and requested quotations, wich I provided. He then proceeded to place an order. (We are a small company, and for us, this is a pretty big order)
The whole process felt a bit too easy. Everything went just a tad too smooth. I*felt a bit uneasy and did a google search on the*company name and details. Turns out this guy has a*history of scamming people and keeps getting away with it.

I have not alerted the scammer yet - and I will have to "deliver" the goods at some point, so*I thought of ways to nail this*guy. A few ideas came up, but then I realised*that this guy knows too much about me, and I don't not*how deep the*"hole" is - so I might be getting in over my head.*

Anybody have any suggestions? Do you maybe have connections in the SAPS? A detective friend maybe? A Reporter? Any suggestions? Carte Blanche perhaps?

Unless it is a significant amount in terms of value of the goods, SAPS won't do anything until such time as the fraud has taken place (and even then its a bit hit and miss).

Just tell the guy you are onto him, post the details and then stop dealing with him. Anything else is mostly just wasting your own time.

bromster

Expert Member
Best thing is to meet them, explain to them that you know what he's doing and let him or her walk away. Don't be a modern day Sherlock Holmes, especially if this person knows your business premises or home address.

dunkyd

Expert Member
Perhaps just transfer all you assets in the meantime ? I can help with a safe bank account...:whistling:

Pitbull

Verboten

Hi, Everybody.

Just tell him to GFHS!
Don't even entertain his shyte. So what if he knows too much about you. Cut him off before someone gets hurt. Follow your gut. No need to risk your business with the hopes of a great deal when your gut is off.

laven

Hi

just make hum pay first for the order before you deliver...and make sure the money clears in your account.
How exactly did he scam other people?

lived666

Executive Member
Just cancel the deal and post his info for others to be alert...the police, depends on the station, I once had pretoria police setup a failed delivery sting, usually when I pick up fraud I just cancel and move on.

OCP

Expert Member
Hi

just make hum pay first for the order before you deliver...and make sure the money clears in your account.
With fake payments no doubt.
Another favourite is to pay too much with a stolen cheque and request the difference paid back urgently.

It's fun wasting their time but ultimately they are like cochroaches :-(

lived666

Executive Member
Setup a sting with the cops.
doesnt really work, i ve tried that, first you need cooperative cops and then they will have a third party sign who doesnt know where X is or someone underage be where ever the goods are to be delivered to

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
Another favourite is to pay too much with a stolen cheque and request the difference paid back urgently.

Then don't accept cheques?

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Hi

They deposit a cheque from an empty account. So the cheque will be dishonoured a few days later but by then he will have the goods.

Unreal

Inform the police and ask them what they think you should do.

koeksGHT

Dealer
Surely once they have sent a fraudulent payment confirmation that should be enough for cops to open case.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Surely once they have sent a fraudulent payment confirmation that should be enough for cops to open case.
Nope, the cops generally will only possibly investigate if you've actually been defrauded and lost money.

The banks may want to know about the fraudulent payment confirmation but chances are they won't do anything with it anyway.

IOPS

If he has a history scamming and you're 100% about the facts, tell him to GTFO. Right of admission reserved and all that.

Oppiekoffie

Expert Member

Cheques from what I remember has been worked out since 2012 or something. What they do is they transfer the money using an EFT. the money shows in your account and once the goods has been delivered they have a connection in the bank who then transfers the money back.

SoTrue

Expert Member
Cheques from what I remember has been worked out since 2012 or something. What they do is they transfer the money using an EFT. the money shows in your account and once the goods has been delivered they have a connection in the bank who then transfers the money back.
This is extremely unlikely. Banks have very good security. If it was that easy they could just make transfers out of accounts without having to bother about orders and deliveries.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I wouldn't refrain from making a good sale. Just make 100% sure you've got your money before fulfilling your end of the deal. Don't fall for EFT, cheque or credit shenanigans. Stand firm that full payment must be received and verified.