I am nearly a believer in the WOAN

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
I am nearly a believer in the WOAN

When the government unveiled its plan to launch a wireless open-access network (WOAN), it drew sharp criticism from many stakeholders.

The main reason for the resistance was that the government was planning to give all available spectrum to the WOAN.

Swa

Honorary Master
See this is the problem in SA, allow the most anti-competitive company to take control. If that is the case operators should not be forced to use it and prices should be set to just above cost. Otherwise they'll ruin mobile like they did fibre.

system32

Expert Member
WOAN = SOE with a guaranteed 99% failure rate.
Didn't government already try a kind of WOAN with Sentech's failed 3G/MyWireless?
Stop wasting taxpayer money to build a network.
Sell the spectrum to bail out SOE's like SAA, Eskom, Denel, Sentec, SABC, etc.

Ellipsis Regulatory Solutions owner Dominic Cull said the implementation of the WOAN and getting applications in for licenses could delay the spectrum auction by another year or two.
In another year or two, Starlink/Oneweb will be live, long before WOAN.
Starlink, for lots of use cases, will make WOAN irrelevant.

Joseph matane

If the company gets the necessary spectrum i foresee argument arising most people will complain about the ownership of woan. For me this could have been a great deal if woan was going to offer South Africans open access 5G network because let's be honest 4G is no longer the thing

Joseph matane

Please explain what you mean how they ruined fibre?
I am confused too because Vumatel seems to be on the right track they have 3 different models for 3 different markets which is unique
Standard FTTH where middle-class/upper-class live
Prepaid FTTH where mostly lower-class/middle-class live
Township FTTH where lower-class live

Swa

Honorary Master
Please explain what you mean how they ruined fibre?
They created another monopoly with high prices and uncompetitive practices.

I am confused too because Vumatel seems to be on the right track they have 3 different models for 3 different markets which is unique
Standard FTTH where middle-class/upper-class live
Prepaid FTTH where mostly lower-class/middle-class live
Township FTTH where lower-class live
This is BS for me and I won't support them while it's happening. No reason some customers should subsidise others.

Yskasmetnstoof

They created another monopoly with high prices and uncompetitive practices.

This is BS for me and I won't support them while it's happening. No reason some customers should subsidise others.
I'll take them any day here in my part of Jhb where our choice is either Telkom fixed LTE or MTN fixed LTE (month to month). Nothing else. ( Except the Rain shysters, but we learned their sneaky ways with their fixed LTE and they require 24 months contract now) And Telkom is the faster one of the two.