I am new in SA and would like to hire a domestic worker: some tips?

Janedo

Hi Folks,

I am a newcomer in Cape Town and would like to hire a domestic worker: what should I pay attention to when recruiting someone? Do you have any tips regarding the questions I should ask her during the interview process? According to your experience, what is the kind of person I should be looking for? Any tips would help.

Thank you in advance for helping me better understand how things work here,

Cécile

cupcake

Expert Member
Use a agency they will be able to answer your questions and help you find a good fit.

Swa

Honorary Master
Yeah just don't. It's like AIDS, once you have it you can't get rid of it.

skimread

Executive Member
The domestic has to provide references which you can phone.

Best bet is to ask your neighbors or people you know here as you often have domestics working 1 or 2 day for them and they are looking for other work for other days

maumau

Honorary Master
Hi @Janedo and welcome.

Best advice - don't get one. It's a minefield epecially if you don't know the law.

If you decide to get a helper though :

First thing you need to do is decide how often you need a domestic. If you live alone once a week might be enough.
Establish her working hours
Sign a contract - VERY IMPORTANT
Agree on a salary. Does it include transport? UIF?
Read up on how much paid leave she's entitled to per year. How much paid sick leave too.

Ask neighbours/friends for recommendations. Do not hire anyone off the street - we'll I wouldn't.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Cleaning service, sweepsouth, cleaning queens etc... Do not hire a domestic it will more then likely turn into a pain in the rear when you're dragged to the CCMA to defend yourself.

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
Hi Folks,

I am a newcomer in Cape Town and would like to hire a domestic worker: what should I pay attention to when recruiting someone? Do you have any tips regarding the questions I should ask her during the interview process? According to your experience, what is the kind of person I should be looking for? Any tips would help.

Thank you in advance for helping me better understand how things work here,

Cécile

Use something like SweepSouth.com

Much easier and less hassle then jumping through all the hoops that government wants you to do.

Gaz{M}

Expert Member
Whoever you hire, don't trust them. Hide your valuables and lock them away. Never leave temptation out in the open (jewelry box, cash in a drawer etc.)

They will take advantage. Especially the younger ones - they feel so entitled. Mine used my computer the other day to check her online university assignments (UNISA) without asking me.

If you can manage with just one or two days a week, that would be better,since they have less hold over you. But in that case I would just hire a temp from and agency and make sure I was around for the first few services to see what they do.

Overall, it is a mine field. Be prepared for anger and disappointment. But many of us just have no choice but to hire help to survive in this busy world.

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
We've always used foreigners and have had no problems.
They do good work, nothing has ever gone missing and none of the law issues.

Either that or a cleaning service which takes care of the legality.
Just don't hire a local on your own.