I am new in SA and would like to hire a domestic worker: some tips?

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
From a legal point, never fire them for whatever reason , often just a world of pain for that.
Always dismiss them by saying you can no longer afford their services.
Not much legally they can do with that.
Basically cover your arse.
Also make sure things like vacuum cleaners and other cleaning equipment are "Mavis proof" , i am still trying to figure out how one domestic managed to break the flexible pipe on a new vacuum :oops:

Swa

Honorary Master
From a legal point, never fire them for whatever reason , often just a world of pain for that.
Always dismiss them by saying you can no longer afford their services.
Not much legally they can do with that.
Basically cover your arse.
Also make sure things like vacuum cleaners and other cleaning equipment are "Mavis proof" , i am still trying to figure out how one domestic managed to break the flexible pipe on a new vacuum :oops:
Only problem there is you can't hire another one in 6 months' time.

phoneJunky

Executive Member
Hi Folks,

I am a newcomer in Cape Town and would like to hire a domestic worker: what should I pay attention to when recruiting someone? Do you have any tips regarding the questions I should ask her during the interview process? According to your experience, what is the kind of person I should be looking for? Any tips would help.

Thank you in advance for helping me better understand how things work here,

Cécile
Hello and welcome to the forum.

First off, I see you have gotten a few responses saying that you should just get yourself a cleaning service. My advice would be to just get the domestic worker.

Where to get the domestic worker: In my suburb I have a whatsapp group for the area - actually we have a few. I would ask in there. Else there is normally a community board up in front of your local spar etc. Always pick one that says that they have references available.

Now lets come to the more technical part. You need to know if you want the person to work for you for less than or more than 24 hours in the month. Once a week is generally more than 24 hours unless it is half day.

Less than 24 hours a month means that you don't need a contract and that you don't need to pay UIF.

More than 24 hours means that you need those things - Then you also want to make sure you hire a south african or some one with the valid papers as you need those for UIF.

The contracts are generally quite easy to come by, just get one off the internet. There are a few places that sell quite comprehensive contracts for you that will also register you as a payer for UIF.

Take the cheapest one if you go this route.

As for payment - I would say in my area it is R200-R250 plus food per day. You can maybe go cheaper if it is for 5 days a week for instance.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Hello and welcome to the forum.

First off, I see you have gotten a few responses saying that you should just get yourself a cleaning service. My advice would be to just get the domestic worker.

Where to get the domestic worker: In my suburb I have a whatsapp group for the area - actually we have a few. I would ask in there. Else there is normally a community board up in front of your local spar etc. Always pick one that says that they have references available.

Now lets come to the more technical part. You need to know if you want the person to work for you for less than or more than 24 hours in the month. Once a week is generally more than 24 hours unless it is half day.

Less than 24 hours a month means that you don't need a contract and that you don't need to pay UIF.

More than 24 hours means that you need those things - Then you also want to make sure you hire a south african or some one with the valid papers as you need those for UIF.

The contracts are generally quite easy to come by, just get one off the internet. There are a few places that sell quite comprehensive contracts for you that will also register you as a payer for UIF.

Take the cheapest one if you go this route.

As for payment - I would say in my area it is R200-R250 plus food per day. You can maybe go cheaper if it is for 5 days a week for instance.
Terrible advice...

Issues with domestic = CCMA

Issues with House Services = Cancel and walk away.

Bewlen

Strange... my advice is also to rather get a service, and not to hire a domestic worker. The CCMA hassles is just not worth the 3+ days you get dragged into hearings when things go south.

schuits

Expert Member
I'll leave this little story here:

My mother had the same domestic for many many years. Very reliable, but eventually she passed away. My folks even went to her funeral in the local township.

She was then replaced by her daughter. Not surprisingly her daughter stole some of my mothers jewelry. Eventually this young lady decided she no longer wanted to work for my mother.
Fast forward a few weeks/months, and my mom gets a CCMA summons for 'unfair dismissal'.

Oh, and my mother in law was murdered by the gardener.

Be careful who you allow into your personal space!

phoneJunky

Executive Member
Terrible advice...

Issues with domestic = CCMA

Issues with House Services = Cancel and walk away.
If you have everything right, CCMA is a breeze. Just don't break the law.

House services won't clean the way you like, or you have to wait up to explain to a different person every time and then they don't do it the way you want to. I have used all 5 in my area (at that time) and I wasn't satisfied with one of them.

With a domestic you have a probation period of 3 months = cancel and walk away. A domestic worker provides you with so much more options - they clean the way you want it. Wash, dry and ironing of clothing. Feeding of pets if you are away if they stay close by. Food rationing. Preperation of food etc.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
If you have everything right, CCMA is a breeze. Just don't break the law.

House services won't clean the way you like, or you have to wait up to explain to a different person every time and then they don't do it the way you want to. I have used all 5 in my area (at that time) and I wasn't satisfied with one of them.

With a domestic you have a probation period of 3 months = cancel and walk away. A domestic worker provides you with so much more options - they clean the way you want it. Wash, dry and ironing of clothing. Feeding of pets if you are away if they stay close by. Food rationing. Preperation of food etc.
Wrong about so many things...

Reactions: Swa

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Hi Folks,

I am a newcomer in Cape Town and would like to hire a domestic worker: what should I pay attention to when recruiting someone? Do you have any tips regarding the questions I should ask her during the interview process? According to your experience, what is the kind of person I should be looking for? Any tips would help.

Thank you in advance for helping me better understand how things work here,

Cécile
I've had good experiences with Sweepsouth during the holidays - they vet the domestic, you book via the app, they pay the person.

The people they've sent have done an excellent job - clean much more thoroughly than the regular lady who works for us.

hawker

Honorary Master
I've had good experiences with Sweepsouth during the holidays - they vet the domestic, you book via the app, they pay the person.

The people they've sent have done an excellent job - clean much more thoroughly than the regular lady who works for us.
Do you give a rating afterwards? (Kinda like Uber?)