I am probably cancelling 5G by the end of the month.

BlueOne

EDIT : There is a happy ending to the story on page 4

I was one of the first. They told me I was the 10th in Africa to get 5G.

It was perfect from October to around the 2nd week in December, and then the service degraded badly.

I get whole periods when there is no data coming down the line. I do a Huawei location test, and I am getting a 5 star '85' rating, but at that exact moment in time nothing is coming down the line.

It will go from 10-20ms pings to nothing, and then come back again anything from 30 seconds to 10 minutes later.
It can happen at any time of day, including glorious sunshine. It is never perfect anymore, but then for no reason gets really bad, and then goes to a little bad.

The worst is the support ... I have tried e-mails, the online chat, etc, and NO ONE at Rain gets back to you. I have NEVER had anyone call me back. That part disgusts me the most. I spent an hour with a chat person, who was asking me all the basics, and I was firing graphs and proof back to him. He escalated my complaint. Still nothing.

I have used Ping Plotter to take graphs of my downtime, showing them it is there equipment and not mine. Sent them pics of how well the router says it is connected. The mast is literally a few 100m away from my house.
But not the decency of a single response.

When I get a support ticket, the number is 2000-3000 higher than the day before. I am guessing they are busy, but not too busy to take my money every month, and I can not justify this level of service.
I never cancelled my 20Mb ADSL, I simply downgraded it to a capped 200GB from a premium uncapped, but at the end of this month, before the next billing cycle, I will probably cancel Rain 5G, and put the money back to my premium ADSL, and if and when Telkom come calling to put me on LTE, hopefully MTN or another player will have a solution, or I might try Rain again, but by the end of this month it will be 7 weeks of frustration. Yes my ADSL is 20 times slower, but I can watch my Netflix while my family games, and I can do my big downloads through the night, but at least it works!
My wife and daughter who play online games are back on the ADSL permanently.
My family noted that we managed to get through an episode of "Lost in Space" on Netflix the other night without a single hick-up. That is how rare it is.

Could it be my router, or the mast .. I have no clue because I have had no response.

So am I happy for all of you still getting great service. I only hope when you do start having problems you do not end up in the same boat as I do.

I mentioned this on another post, but did not go into detail. I believe a company should have the benefit of the doubt and given a chance, but I am all out of decorum. I felt it was my duty to warn you all. No one ever gets back to you.

Last edited:

waylander

Expert Member
The worst is the support ... I have tried e-mails, the online chat, etc, and NO ONE at Rain gets back to you. I have NEVER had anyone call me back. That part disgusts me the most. I spent an hour with a chat person, who was asking me all the basics, and I was firing graphs and proof back to him. He escalated my complaint. Still nothing.
+1

Rain does not have support.

Prim0

Didn't rain say something along the lines of 5G users getting a 'premium' customer support service. This is really shitty of them, hope it works out eventually for OP

MirageF1

Expert Member
Was only a matter of time before the #!!&_£# complaints starting coming in.

Was my prediction all along ( and any rational persons too).

B follows A as sure as "5g" followed "4g"

cavedog

Honorary Master
I'm also thinking of cancelling but my issue is not related to stability because when the tower is on it works and it's fast. Gaming is perfect and better than Afrihost fibre with much lower latency especially to EU. Almost always get faster than 300Mbps and never lower than ~250Mbps so still faster than my 200Mbps fibre. It's R497 lower than my fibre so offers decent value for money but there are a few issues that bugs me a bit some worse than other.

1. Tower goes down during loadshedding. I catch 2 towers. The closest one is on my loadshedding schedule. The one a bit further away are on the slot following my area that means in the 30min of switching where they get switch off and us back on there is no service.
2. I use the internal unit and have to have it at the window in the bathroom which is not ideal. Countless requests to have an external unit installed were just denied.
3. Slow upload with the internal unit is a problem when uploading large files to the cloud.
4. Carrier Grade NAT. Not a big issue for me personally because I don't host stuff like cctv cameras ect.
5. Very poor support. After they merged the 5G and 4G call centres service levels has tanked.

I have fibre on Openserve too and it never goes down no matter how long the power outage. The upload is considerably faster 100Mbps vs ~15Mbps on Rain. It's Openserve so able to switch pppoe details easily. Always get my 200/100 speeds where Rain can fluctuate a bit. Latency is a bit higher compared to Rain 5G because of their different transit providers and routing but using Cloudflare Warp solves that issue.

Right now my 5G is more of a backup connection and I use my 5G connection for my xbox, media box, phones because it has wifi 6 and streaming on the TV and use my fibre for my pc and laptop and phones during loadshedding. I just don't think it's worth it for me financially now to keep it. I was just considering downgrading my fibre to 10Mbps and using Rain 5G as my main account because then I will have 10/5 fibre with good stability and Rain 5G with very fast downloads but then I'm sacrificing upload and then I have to deal with downtime during loadshedding on 5G.

So sorry Rain until your 5G gets battery backups and your support improves I'm keeping my 200Mbps fibre for now.

Wasabee!

Expert Member
OP if you believe that you were the 10th in Africa...

Anyway, where are all the "5G is gonna kill fibre" people now?

cavedog

Honorary Master
OP if you believe that you were the 10th in Africa...

Anyway, where are all the "5G is gonna kill fibre" people now?
I don't recall anyone anyone saying 5G will kill fibre. Honestly how can it the tower backhaul for 5G is fibre.

As a consumer product it's definitely a competitor and an alternative to fibre.

Also if a network has poor support or network issues that does not make 5G bad because if you go by that logic fibre must be useless if we look at the issues Cool Ideas were experiencing.

Last edited:

Genisys

Executive Member
I don't recall anyone anyone saying 5G will kill fibre. Honestly how can it the tower backhaul for 5G is fibre.

As a consumer product it's definitely a competitor and an alternative to fibre.

Also if a network has poor support or issue that does not make 5G bad because by that logic fibre must be useless if we look at the issues Cool Ideas are experiencing.
Some of the forum members did say that 5G will kill fibre and Fibre is pointless being rolled out while "5G is a superior product". Sadly same thing is being said about Starlink.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Some of the forum members did say that 5G will kill fibre and Fibre is pointless being rolled out while "5G is a superior product". Sadly same thing is being said about Starlink.
I don't recall seeing that but that was a bit naive statement from whoever that was. Ohh and wtf is Starlink.... Looks like I need to get out from underneath this rock I'm living under.