I am probably cancelling 5G by the end of the month.

BlueOne

OP if you believe that you were the 10th in Africa...

Anyway, where are all the "5G is gonna kill fibre" people now?
I obviously can not speak for the validity of being told I was around the 10th, but I can tell you my 5G was installed before anyone on this forum was speaking of their experience. It was in the 1st few days of October.

PAYBACK

Expert Member
Would cancel tomorrow if I had an option. Truth is I don't. Below a sample of the erratic speeds I am getting. Have risked life and limb getting my ODU setup (poll mounted, earthed etc...). I started with with around 400Mbps and it eventually settled at 250Mbps, which I was happy with. Then it feel off a cliff as you can see from graph. Has been declining ever since. I don't suspect contention and cannot understand how a installed network can fluctuate so much.

I do suspect foul play however. I am in coverage be it on the edge. My location also challenging but I made provision for that as stated over. When RAIN installed my ODU the tech guys said engineers weren't happy that I was getting ODU. After countless phone calls back and forth, eventually they threw in towel and put me in touch with "engineer" who began to spin me some story thinking I was none the wiser trying to convince me to cancel the service. Since that call I am convinced they are deliberate retarding the service to get me off network, not sure if they can do this via TR-069? Maybe I am being paranoid.

RAIN cannot explain why I was having excellent speeds a month ago; now averaging 100Mbps at best, only to say I was an "anomaly". My signal was low 80's (RSRP) after poll mount and has now ended up at around 95. Still not bad, but speeds are horrendous!

As mentioned I do not have any other option in my area so I will bite my tongue as speed are better than my old 10meg ADSL which was switched off by TELKOM. No fiber, lousy LTE. I am pissed that I have been paying R1000 for sub-par "5G", if you can even call it that. I remain hopefully that network expands and erratic speeds improve. In a nut shell not happy. RAIN happy I am not bothering them or the engineers I guess.

Only small sample shown here...

Jimmy

Would cancel tomorrow if I had an option. Truth is I don't. Below a sample of the erratic speeds I am getting. Have risked life and limb getting my ODU setup (poll mounted, earthed etc...). I started with with around 400Mbps and it eventually settled at 250Mbps, which I was happy with. Then it feel off a cliff as you can see from graph. Has been declining ever since. I don't suspect contention and cannot understand how a installed network can fluctuate so much.

I do suspect foul play however. I am in coverage be it on the edge. My location also challenging but I made provision for that as stated over. When RAIN installed my ODU the tech guys said engineers weren't happy that I was getting ODU. After countless phone calls back and forth, eventually they threw in towel and put me in touch with "engineer" who began to spin me some story thinking I was none the wiser trying to convince me to cancel the service. Since that call I am convinced they are deliberate retarding the service to get me off network, not sure if they can do this via TR-069? Maybe I am being paranoid.

RAIN cannot explain why I was having excellent speeds a month ago; now averaging 100Mbps at best, only to say I was an "anomaly". My signal was low 80's (RSRP) after poll mount and has now ended up at around 95. Still not bad, but speeds are horrendous!

As mentioned I do not have any other option in my area so I will bite my tongue as speed are better than my old 10meg ADSL which was switched off by TELKOM. No fiber, lousy LTE. I am pissed that I have been paying R1000 for sub-par "5G", if you can even call it that. I remain hopefully that network expands and erratic speeds improve. In a nut shell not happy. RAIN happy I am not bothering them or the engineers I guess.

Only small sample shown here...
View attachment 764946

View attachment 764948
I too am in the same boat as you. I wish I could cancel but unfortunately, it is the best option I can get in my area as nobody seems to want to provide us with fibre coverage. Vodacom came to us about a year ago and made us sign forms and stuff. They even brought us the fibre router, but to this day, the router is just sitting in my storage.

My Rain 5G connection is weird. Sometimes I get 360mbps and other times I get 200mbps. I'm not complaining but I wish they could just be consistent. They promised us that their 5G network would not decline in performance like their 4G network did but things are not looking well.

PAYBACK

Expert Member
Why not wait until system I fully functional?
Define functional. Its not rocket science really. Install antennas, position for best coverage, switch on. Barring sever weather events there really shouldn't be any issues.

What I do see being the issue is how your requests are handled and the back-haul RAIN has in place. You'll probably find that RAIN given its infancy/size is not given any special treatment.

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
Just wait for Rain 6G and their "Fibre though the air" experience. Third time lucky.

Ecco

Executive Member
Whats the cancellation cost for this? As I understand you guys are on 24 months contracts?

waylander

Expert Member
I obviously can not speak for the validity of being told I was around the 10th, but I can tell you my 5G was installed before anyone on this forum was speaking of their experience. It was in the 1st few days of October.
I was signed up on the 19th of September lmao, and was told a similar thing.

MirageF1

Expert Member
I was on the pure Rain fixed LTE month by month sim package 20+20 until recently( signed up in March 2018 with the B315 router which I subsequently sold and purchased a B618 off Gumtree )

Was hesitant to cancel before I was sure about changing to sim only MTN fixed LTE, but so far so v good - dl/ul speeds of 50-80 Mbps / 20 Mbps (10x that of Rain )

I did sign up mid month so I could test the new connection to be sure and cancel it if it was no good...

Still have a Rain sim I use from time to time in my mob for when I need internet when I'm out and about, but use it sparingly ( R50 / GB)

PAYBACK

Expert Member
Lucky guys.
Same here. Lucky yes, but at this stage feels like the early adopters are RAIN's guinea pigs. This to be expected of course. A few have contributed tons of their time regarding 5G findings on these boards. The RAIN "rep" who has gone AWOL, does not add any value when it come to 5G IMO only scrubbing through disgruntled user posts and setting up calls with the help desk.

A knowledgeable RAIN 5G engineer to address peoples questions on a public forum would go a long way to stop migration to other providers. A few of us don't have a choice in the matter and keep paying a premium for a sub-par service.

Last edited: