I am probably cancelling 5G by the end of the month.

phly

Expert Member
I was feeling left out missing on all the 5G action but seems it's a fiery furnace I managed to miss if the posts on this thread are anything to go by. I have been juggling original rain fixed LTE and rain mobile 4G and I have also noticed that even though we may not be experiencing it, if there is loadshedding in the country then my rain mobile will be affected. At times I cannot connect and end up reverting back to my old fixed LTE sim. As it stands - the fixed rain LTE that they abandoned is the only one that seems to have better uptime. However thats a capped packaged so it does not work for things like constant netflix watching. I can only hope things get better with time as I am rooting for them to do well.

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Define functional. Its not rocket science really. Install antennas, position for best coverage, switch on. Barring sever weather events there really shouldn't be any issues.

What I do see being the issue is how your requests are handled and the back-haul RAIN has in place. You'll probably find that RAIN given its infancy/size is not given any special treatment.
It's a new product so teething problems are bound to occur.
Worst thing is telling everyone you're one of the first to use a product that doesn't work.

redleh

Like others here, I'm not 100% satisfied but 5G is still a big improvement from what I had previously.
I live in a block of house that does not have fiber. Around us, everyone else is connected.
I doubt anyone will come and connect our 10 houses.

Although the speed is inconsistent, for now, this is the best solution for my house.

PAYBACK

Expert Member
I was feeling left out missing on all the 5G action but seems it's a fiery furnace I managed to miss if the posts on this thread are anything to go by. I have been juggling original rain fixed LTE and rain mobile 4G and I have also noticed that even though we may not be experiencing it, if there is loadshedding in the country then my rain mobile will be affected. At times I cannot connect and end up reverting back to my old fixed LTE sim. As it stands - the fixed rain LTE that they abandoned is the only one that seems to have better uptime. However thats a capped packaged so it does not work for things like constant netflix watching. I can only hope things get better with time as I am rooting for them to do well.
Not to derail thread but it depends on what you jumping off. If you on Fiber you would need to weight pros and cons, speed and price vs. stability. If you coming off ADSL it is bliss even in current state.

Jimmy

Like others here, I'm not 100% satisfied but 5G is still a big improvement from what I had previously.
I live in a block of house that does not have fiber. Around us, everyone else is connected.
I doubt anyone will come and connect our 10 houses.

Although the speed is inconsistent, for now, this is the best solution for my house.
What types of speeds are you getting?

PAYBACK

Expert Member
It's a new product so teething problems are bound to occur.
Worst thing is telling everyone you're one of the first to use a product that doesn't work.
Felt that way BETA testing ADSL back in the day. I was the second customer in ZA to get bent over :cool:

Apogee

Thanks guys,

Was seriously considering upgrading to Rain 5G when their coverage reached this area, but will now stay away.

I am also the decision-maker for several companies regarding their connectivity options, and will not advise them to go this route.

The contract-only option was already a dealbreaker.

Sounds like the name-change did nothing to improve iBurst's attitude towards service delivery.

Last edited:

patrick123

Expert Member
Would cancel tomorrow if I had an option. Truth is I don't. Below a sample of the erratic speeds I am getting. Have risked life and limb getting my ODU setup (poll mounted, earthed etc...). I started with with around 400Mbps and it eventually settled at 250Mbps, which I was happy with. Then it feel off a cliff as you can see from graph. Has been declining ever since. I don't suspect contention and cannot understand how a installed network can fluctuate so much.

I do suspect foul play however. I am in coverage be it on the edge. My location also challenging but I made provision for that as stated over. When RAIN installed my ODU the tech guys said engineers weren't happy that I was getting ODU. After countless phone calls back and forth, eventually they threw in towel and put me in touch with "engineer" who began to spin me some story thinking I was none the wiser trying to convince me to cancel the service. Since that call I am convinced they are deliberate retarding the service to get me off network, not sure if they can do this via TR-069? Maybe I am being paranoid.

RAIN cannot explain why I was having excellent speeds a month ago; now averaging 100Mbps at best, only to say I was an "anomaly". My signal was low 80's (RSRP) after poll mount and has now ended up at around 95. Still not bad, but speeds are horrendous!

As mentioned I do not have any other option in my area so I will bite my tongue as speed are better than my old 10meg ADSL which was switched off by TELKOM. No fiber, lousy LTE. I am pissed that I have been paying R1000 for sub-par "5G", if you can even call it that. I remain hopefully that network expands and erratic speeds improve. In a nut shell not happy. RAIN happy I am not bothering them or the engineers I guess.

Only small sample shown here...
View attachment 764946

View attachment 764948
Looking at your first image, it seems to be torrenting.
From the FUP:

BlueOne

Whats the cancellation cost for this? As I understand you guys are on 24 months contracts?
OP here ... As many of said some of us early adopters got it on a month to month. Got the router for a R1000 and that was it. I actually asked when the guy called me and offered me the service, and he said no contracts. If there were I would probably have said no and let the pioneers get the arrows in the back.

redleh

What types of speeds are you getting?
I'm getting speeds between 60M to 300M.
Upload only 5M to 10M.
Nevertheless, it's good enough for my needs (Netflix, FaceTime etc). I'm paid the same price as I was for a fixed LTE, with a massive perf increase.

My router is inside the house and I could probably get better results if I put it outside... but in not the mood and not good enough at DIY to run cables through my house.

BlueOne

Not to derail thread but it depends on what you jumping off. If you on Fiber you would need to weight pros and cons, speed and price vs. stability. If you coming off ADSL it is bliss even in current state.
Normally and 4 weeks ago I would have agreed with you, but when it is more often than not you can not watch a Netflix show from start to end with out stops in the middle.
It seems to getting worse weekly, even considering adding data to ADSL again and having my streaming boxes gateway to them.
If it keeps up, by the end of this month 5G will either be the secondary link on my network, or cancelled.

Last edited:

gimpex

I just returned mine . Got it on Black Friday .... I’m on the 30 day trial thing but they have been stalling etc . Spent an 45 min with online support the one time doing all sorts of tests , screen shots etc. they send they will send a technician out . That was supposed to be last week . Last week they called to make appt for today so I took a day off work expecting the thing to work once he left .

The dude arrived on time . Connected his laptop . Did a speed test . Said it was bad. He got like 2mbps download . Next test 8. Next test 5. He gets on his phone to talk to rain. Then he says ok he will have to bring another unit . I was flabbergasted . So he came over to do a speed test which I have done at least 10 off with their online support people .

That was the end for me . I gave him the box . Packed it up for him and told him to return it . I’m not interested .

Vodacom LTE in the same spot gets over 100 download

It’s a pity . Was very interested but keeping my Fibre for now

BlueOne

A knowledgeable RAIN 5G engineer to address peoples questions on a public forum would go a long way to stop migration to other providers. A few of us don't have a choice in the matter and keep paying a premium for a sub-par service.
THIS! 1000x! If someone could just come back to me, PM me telling me they can see a problem at my mast, and it will sorted on this date, then I could live with that. Right now I am giving these guys a R1000 a month and feeling ripped off, and not respected as a paying client.
(BTW I had to wait for my data to come back before I could send this ... Had a 90 second break with no data coming down)

cavedog

Honorary Master
I can actually just complain about 2 things.

1. No Service or almost no service during Loadshedding as the 5G towers does not have backup power.
2. Slow upload speeds if you are not right next to the tower.

The rest is pretty much epic. Speed is great. Totally uncapped and unshaped even on torrents no matter what the terms say they don't limit anything. Great routing to EU with latency lower than Afrihost fibre.

Downloading a torrent now @ 19:56 with a relatively big thunderstorm going on in Centurion. Speeds are fine. This is with an indoor CPE placed at the window.

Jimmy

I can actually just complain about 2 things.

1. No Service or almost no service during Loadshedding as the 5G towers does not have backup power.
2. Slow upload speeds if you are not right next to the tower.

The rest is pretty much epic. Speed is great. Totally uncapped and unshaped even on torrents no matter what the terms say they don't limit anything. Great routing to EU with latency lower than Afrihost fibre.

View attachment 765760

Downloading a torrent now @ 19:56 with a relatively big thunderstorm going on in Centurion. Speeds are fine. This is with an indoor CPE placed at the window.

View attachment 765764
Yeah I don't really see point 2 as being an issue for me because I barely upload anything.

Napalm

Expert Member
Uploads not as important as Downloads. I think it gets more important if your a Content creator. Like a youtuber or Gamer that does twitch streams etc. (or if your a few people in one house doing work. Where you email and scan things to clients or sending of large attachments etc. Then the uploading speed is good to have)

BradleyKZN

Expert Member
I'm still very happy with my 5G. Hardly any issues, maybe once or twice when the tower had issues but sorted in about 10 minutes. Sorry for those that have issues :(

Napalm

Expert Member
I'm still very happy with my 5G. Hardly any issues, maybe once or twice when the tower had issues but sorted in about 10 minutes. Sorry for those that have issues :(
I'm on the fibres now (doctor told me i need alot of fibre in my diet). My interwebs are working even if there is loadshedding. I just have to power my WifiRouter. I got a little mini-ups just to power my Access-Point and Fibres.

Customer1

Uploads not as important as Downloads. I think it gets more important if your a Content creator. Like a youtuber or Gamer that does twitch streams etc. (or if your a few people in one house doing work. Where you email and scan things to clients or sending of large attachments etc. Then the uploading speed is good to have)
Off-topic: Cameras is also a massive upload hog, especially if you want to view them as a group.

Jimmy

I'm on the fibres now (doctor told me i need alot of fibre in my diet). My interwebs are working even if there is loadshedding. I just have to power my WifiRouter. I got a little mini-ups just to power my Access-Point and Fibres.
Unfortunately, my electricity doesn't work when there's loadshedding so I can't even use my internet :(