I am probably cancelling 5G by the end of the month.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Uploads not as important as Downloads. I think it gets more important if your a Content creator. Like a youtuber or Gamer that does twitch streams etc. (or if your a few people in one house doing work. Where you email and scan things to clients or sending of large attachments etc. Then the uploading speed is good to have)
Yes/no, we're all moving to storing more online, be it google photos or other file storage.
Most voice chats are small, etc. With maybe 10Mbps upload you can cover 90% of home use cases.

The issue comes for when the ratio is lower than 10% about for any tcp/IP connection as you need packet acknowledgement.

The other thing is latency, it must have little jitter for a good experience. Same speed DSL vs fiber, you'll probably still notice the fiber is better for general surfing and gaming as things will feel a little more responsive, mostly because of the consistency.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
If a 3yr account with them is considered "new" - sure!
Soon you'll jump ship. MyBroadband has spoken in the other threads. Cool Ideas is now just Ideas. The ugly stepsister. The last ISP at the bar before last round is called...

:D

Tander

Executive Member
Soon you'll jump ship. MyBroadband has spoken in the other threads. Cool Ideas is now just Ideas. The ugly stepsister. The last ISP at the bar before last round is called...

:D
Well, if MyBroadband has spoke; I best go on the hunt for something less cool...

BlueOne

Just an update .... Rain got hold of me via a PM on this forum. They asked for my real e-mail address.

They called me at 8am yesterday and sent through a techie (a 'Dasher' as they call them :) at 11am.

He left me with a new hybrid router, and last night was so much better. The speeds are still around 150mb at best (I was averaging 400Mb, up to 500Mb a few months back) , but so much better stability wise. I watched two shows on streaming services last night without buffering or the service giving up completely.
They did say there may be an issue with the older router when there are two masts close by.

Ecco

Executive Member
OP here ... As many of said some of us early adopters got it on a month to month. Got the router for a R1000 and that was it. I actually asked when the guy called me and offered me the service, and he said no contracts. If there were I would probably have said no and let the pioneers get the arrows in the back.
At least you guys have the option to get out if you not happy. To all the other guys who are on 24 months contracts, ouch!!

BradleyKZN

Expert Member
At least you guys have the option to get out if you not happy. To all the other guys who are on 24 months contracts, ouch!!
I would imagine you could fight your way out of it if it's really that bad. You also have 30 days to change your mind AFAIK

BlueOne

Please share with the rest of us how you came to this conclusion.
Just adding to the conversation .... I know some games, like World of Tanks use torrents or something to do with the protocol to update, and on my Asus distribution router, if I disable torrents, Ubisoft's Ubiplay store can not update.

cavedog

Honorary Master
But torrents aren't throttled or shaped. They probably added that for people not to leave torrents on 24/7 and hog tower bandwidth which is shared just like LTE.

That said with the slowish upload speeds and download speeds of between 200Mbps and 500Mbps it would be hard to max download speed 24/7 you will be running out of space.

waylander

Expert Member
Just an update .... Rain got hold of me via a PM on this forum. They asked for my real e-mail address.

They called me at 8am yesterday and sent through a techie (a 'Dasher' as they call them :) at 11am.

He left me with a new hybrid router, and last night was so much better. The speeds are still around 150mb at best (I was averaging 400Mb, up to 500Mb a few months back) , but so much better stability wise. I watched two shows on streaming services last night without buffering or the service giving up completely.
They did say there may be an issue with the older router when there are two masts close by.
Rain has a forum rep? I wonder why I have gotten ZERO responses to calls, emails, live chat and Twitter DMs... maybe I should try the forum rep.

If you see this, DM me.

mrlgm007

Rain has a forum rep? I wonder why I have gotten ZERO responses to calls, emails, live chat and Twitter DMs... maybe I should try the forum rep.

If you see this, DM me.
The forum REP dose not reply nor twitter