I am probably cancelling 5G by the end of the month.

BradleyKZN

Expert Member
99.9 % of internet users don't need 5G.
Fibre and 4G/LTE is more than equate to download, stream movies in HD and play games.

5G is nothing more than hype and a rip-off.
4G is limited by cap, and I would be paying mega bucks for what I use on 4G, something like 3k a month. I also only get 20mbps on LTE.
I don't have access to Fibre, and 5G is cheaper.
So overall, 5G is more accessible, and cheaper then the equivalent of 4G or Fibre.

Cyprio

4G is limited by cap, and I would be paying mega bucks for what I use on 4G, something like 3k a month. I also only get 20mbps on LTE.
I don't have access to Fibre, and 5G is cheaper.
So overall, 5G is more accessible, and cheaper then the equivalent of 4G or Fibre.
Agree fully!

PAYBACK

Expert Member
99.9 % of internet users don't need 5G.
Fibre and 4G/LTE is more than equate to download, stream movies in HD and play games.

5G is nothing more than hype and a rip-off.
Yup. All Fibre/LTE okes say that until they taste the blue cool aid. I'm more than happy to endure the pain while network is being sorted out.

A rip-off? why do you say that?

Cyprio

Haha @PAYBACK i see your internet is really bad at 300 Mbps-400b Mbps

you really must be " suffering" slow speeds whilst its being sorted out :) :)
all 100mbs fibre guys witth chew their teeth flat for that speed ..........they pay the average of R1500-R1600 for the privilege of 100Mbps.......... we on 5G pay just R1000 for 200-400 Mbps privilege no paving and tiles , bricks and concrete ripped up and damaged

Our fibre cable in our neighborhood was stolen the day after they put it in........ a 800 m section,,,fibre gets stolen for many reasons even gets "sold back to the service provider"
i have fibre in my complex but choose 5G:)

Last edited:

Anthraxitus

Just an update .... Rain got hold of me via a PM on this forum. They asked for my real e-mail address.

They called me at 8am yesterday and sent through a techie (a 'Dasher' as they call them :) at 11am.

He left me with a new hybrid router, and last night was so much better. The speeds are still around 150mb at best (I was averaging 400Mb, up to 500Mb a few months back) , but so much better stability wise. I watched two shows on streaming services last night without buffering or the service giving up completely.
They did say there may be an issue with the older router when there are two masts close by.
I wish they could send him to me. Have had no contact with them

Cyprio

was just thinking....we shouldn't flaunt the positives of 5G ...will make our services slower as the towers get congestion, but the nature of 5G is that the towers can handle 1000 X what 4g Lte can........i think i will turn my proselytizing down a notch or ten....save our selves....... :) less posts from me....and to think i was one of the people wanting to cancel my 5G service..see things can go right with Rain if they try...sjoe im a reborn 5G er....

Last edited:

under_sky

Expert Member
Yeah the best way to usually deal with rain 5g is call in, yesterday a tower in my area went down at 13:05pm but came back around 6pm email would have taken some time to get a response on

rustypup

10 emails to them with no response i beg to differ.
Bingo.

The service may get to 100Mbps+ intermittently but the constant, extended, disconnects, drop-outs and brown outs... alongside the shoddy upload and severely impaired ping... makes the service a joke.

Multiple support calls simply being ignored or left to die a natural death is a strong indicator of how little this ISP cares about their customer base.

RAIN's service is more accurately chartacterised as disservice.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Bingo.

The service may get to 100Mbps+ intermittently but the constant, extended, disconnects, drop-outs and brown outs... alongside the shoddy upload and severely impaired ping... makes the service a joke.

Multiple support calls simply being ignored or left to die a natural death is a strong indicator of how little this ISP cares about their customer base.

RAIN's service is more accurately chartacterised as disservice.
I use Rain 5G for gaming on a daily basis and it's fine so something is wrong with the tower you connect to.

The slow upload is an issue but when I did my drive test I saw that at 300m from the tower upload speeds are over 70Mbps. Si the bandwidth is there it's distance seem to tank upload speeds very fast.

Left a twitch.tv stream from League of Legends open streaming on 1080p last night. Woke up this morning and it's still playing on the TV although the rebroadcast but still pretty decent. Played the whole night without issues.

Last edited:

stravanosa

When I sent a mail to support i got a response to say for 5G queries I need to go online to the website and use the "5G" section on my profile. To this day I assume they mean the chat functionality.

When I use the chat functionality they can't give you anything. No promises, no real solutions.

Technician came by and couldn't solve my issue. Took evidence back to Rain and never heard from them since. I don't know what comes next. I have not been told of a solution to my problem. I'm still without 5G for 10 days now. When I ask for feedback its as if I'm being a pest. Was told the manager would call me, no one called. Was told another lady would call me to sort it out, no one did.

Everything is in installments with these people.

cavedog

Honorary Master
When I sent a mail to support i got a response to say for 5G queries I need to go online to the website and use the "5G" section on my profile. To this day I assume they mean the chat functionality.

When I use the chat functionality they can't give you anything. No promises, no real solutions.

Technician came by and couldn't solve my issue. Took evidence back to Rain and never heard from them since. I don't know what comes next. I have not been told of a solution to my problem. I'm still without 5G for 10 days now. When I ask for feedback its as if I'm being a pest. Was told the manager would call me, no one called. Was told another lady would call me to sort it out, no one did.

Everything is in installments with these people.
Your next step since you have no service and the tower is down if it worked before is to ask for a credit. My tower was down for like a week and half due to a lightning strike. They credited me for the downtime. I'm lucky to have 2 towers further away that I pick up so still get about 150Mbps on the towers further away but they did credit me.

stravanosa

Your next step since you have no service and the tower is down if it worked before is to ask for a credit. My tower was down for like a week and half due to a lightning strike. They credited me for the downtime. I'm lucky to have 2 towers further away that I pick up so still get about 150Mbps on the towers further away but they did credit me.
Might just try this route. Thanks.

Honestly they have spoiled us with 5G, without it I feel like I'm having withdrawal symptoms.

They just need to fix it and take my money

rustypup

I use Rain 5G for gaming on a daily basis and it's fine so something is wrong with the tower you connect to.
It may well be but not the point.

The *real* point being the atrocious support from RAIN makes for a less than functional buyer experience.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Might just try this route. Thanks.

Honestly they have spoiled us with 5G, without it I feel like I'm having withdrawal symptoms.

They just need to fix it and take my money
Yes unfortunately and it's especially true for my closest tower I connect to is that these towers perform at very low level of reliability. Sounds like an Eskom phrase but yeah it is what it is. For the fortunate 5G users you will have more than one tower so will just experience slower speeds but for those with just 1 tower that means no service.

This is how my invoiced looked with the credit of R300 for downtime.