I blocked 15 SABC TV licence numbers, but they keep SMSing me

SA-UK

Banned
And here I was initially fighting to get a tv licence and pay for it after returning from 15 yrs abroad!

Mind boggles at the absurdity of how some(most??) organisations operate.

Swa

Honorary Master
Should ban these 15 digit numbers. The only thing they're good for is spam.

/dev/null

I had considered paying my TV licence that week, but the noisy call centre and its brash agent who phoned me put me off in a matter of seconds.

Lie detector activated.

system32

Expert Member
Suggestion, change your number.
It's not as big a deal as you think.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Working colleague's TV license debt is sitting over R8500..... Madness you can buy a new tv with that debt.

A TV license is like AIDS. Once you get it you have it for life.

SABC uses NuDebt to collect TV license debt. If they have you bank details from SABC they will probably push a debit order. Telkom uses NuDebt and they did the same back then.

Last edited:

wizardofid

Executive Member
I got an SMS yesterday on my tablet sim which was a recycled number to the tune of R7835.00, I wonder if it worth the effort to email them to inform them the number is recycled.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
I just used my TV Licence number as the keyword on my blacklist, voila not a single SMS anymore from the vultures. All blocked no matter what number it comes from.

ekske1

Executive Member
I blocked 15 SABC TV licence numbers, but they keep SMSing me
Staff Writer
Daars nie pilletjies vir domgeit nie, was seker meneer Jamie Mckane.

opdateering en lyk my ek was verkeerd:

PILLE VIR DOMGEIT - R30

Dolla is ook deel van ‘n ongelooflike nuwe mediese deurbraak: Wat meeste wetenskaplikes voorheen as wensdenkery beskou het is nou ‘n werklikheid: Dolla se Pille vir Domgeit… …‘n wonder-produk wat verligting gaan bring vir derduisende mense wat ly aan simptome soos verwarring, lae selfbeeld, lamheid in die kop en ontoereikende houtwerkpunte. Ongelukkig is hierdie medikasie op hierdie stadium slegs beskikbaar by Dolla se “lewendige” vertonings

Last edited:

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
My built-in SMS app has an option to mark as spam based on filtered words. Can just add SABC to it...

bwana

MyBroadband
Who gives a crap about blocking an SMS? Just ignore/delete it and move on.

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
Nice attitude for a news story lol. "I considered paying my legally-obligated debt, but decided not to because the call centre wasn't serene and the agent didn't bow and scrape enough."

What rubbish is that?

"Oh I'm sorry your honour, the policeman was a bit rude to me so after that I felt a little rapey and decided I didn't need to abide by the law anymore."

Congrats MyBroadband ... if that's your idea of edgy journalism, try again.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
I reckon it's a regulatory issue - the crappy framework & non-existent enforcement enables this.

People are talking about spam filtering software and what not in this thread...meanwhile I'm trying to think whether I've gotten any SMSs in the last half a year.

EDIT: I have indeed. No spam messages though...google auth and my cell provider mostly (which might count as spam I guess).

I just used my TV Licence number as the keyword on my blacklist, voila not a single SMS anymore from the vultures. All blocked no matter what number it comes from.
haha solid plan

Who gives a crap about blocking an SMS? Just ignore/delete it and move on.
Facepalm. The entire point of blocking contacts is that you don't have to go through the motions of "Just ignore/delete it and move on" for each message received.

Last edited:

abbott10k

TV license and e-tolls are one and the same for me, I ain't paying them, EVER!

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
TV license and e-tolls are one and the same for me, I ain't paying them, EVER!
Why is that? Some people are big babies. They'll pay increases in fuel tax, PAYE tax and VAT without any action, but give them a choice and they'll shirk their responsibilities.

Now you're just forcing guvment to treat everybody like babies and give us all no choice in taxes.

satanboy

Psychonaut seven
Nice attitude for a news story lol. "I considered paying my legally-obligated debt, but decided not to because the call centre wasn't serene and the agent didn't bow and scrape enough."

What rubbish is that?

"Oh I'm sorry your honour, the policeman was a bit rude to me so after that I felt a little rapey and decided I didn't need to abide by the law anymore."

Congrats MyBroadband ... if that's your idea of edgy journalism, try again.
bwahahaha