I bought an iPhone 11 Pro – Here’s what you need to know

kaaskop

Expert Member
"The lenses are almost flush against the back of the phone, and protrude less than the dual-lens system on the X."
:ROFL:718264

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Nice to see a “review” that doesn’t make excuses for itself and is just unashamed in its bias for a change.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
What is the purpose of an Apple mouse in post #4? This is a well-designed piece of kit and works 100%
Also charges a number of hours in the few minutes you go to make coffee so the moans about the location of the charge port is just really stupid.

whatwhat

Executive Member
Also charges a number of hours in the few minutes you go to make coffee so the moans about the location of the charge port is just really stupid.
People's lives are really that empty that they just criticize someone else's electronic device purchase decision.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
People's lives are really that empty that they just criticize someone else's electronic device purchase decision.
It’s the ignorance that gets to me.

Someone who has never even touched the thing or used it for a few minutes will have an opinion on it and mouth off about it online.

Meanwhile living with it in the real world is a completely different experience.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
A old opinion piece but still very valid today.

The age of the iPhone apologist
Don’t see how it’s relevant to the posted picture.

I’m certainly not advocating the iPhone (or all their other devices) are perfect, nothing ever is or can be for every user.

But that the charge port underneath the Magic Mouse is a problem or a design failure is a complete fallacy in real world use.

Call me an apologist all you like but Apple’s track record for me personally has been impeccable so I don’t see why anyone in their right mins would move away from something that has been flawless and hassle free to their experience. That would be dying on a sword for no good reason at all.

And yet we are called the sheep.

Last edited:

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I'm not sure why this device was worth spending any money on in your case.
  • It basically looks identical to your old phone
  • The processor was already fast enough to cruise through any app
  • The camera was already excellent
  • The firmware is identical
  • You lost force touch
  • If you're on a 2 year cycle again then you've skipped a proper design refresh coming next year
Dunno man, this sounds like really lousy value for money. Why not just get the new Apple Watch or an iPad Pro or something with the money rather. iStore offers amazing credit terms so you can still pay monthly for whatever you get.
I wonder if the same statements would have been made if the device in question was the latest top of the range Samsung/Huawei/Google phone replacing its own two year old model.

But I can agree within the context the value simply isn’t there. If I didn’t just keep my old top of the range phone (which it wouldn’t have been anyway) then I’d have bought the plain old iPhone 11 and an iPad or just saved my money.

Azg

Expert Member
Flip side is also true. Does the process of buying a phone really deserve a whole article? It would have been the same process even if he / she was downgrading to a R2,000 Android. This is not even a review of the phone.

For the next 12 months it will be article after article about "ooh my phone has dark mode, ooh my phone has a swype keyboard etc." Features that have been standard on other phones for ages now.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I wonder if the same statements would have been made if the device in question was the latest top of the range Samsung/Huawei/Google phone replacing its own two year old model.

But I can agree within the context the value simply isn’t there. If I didn’t just keep my old top of the range phone (which it wouldn’t have been anyway) then I’d have bought the plain old iPhone 11 and an iPad or just saved my money.
It probably wouldn't apply. Android is coming along much faster. Granted, it had a further way to go. But it's nice to see noticeably progression year on year.

If you aren't particularly into iPhones or the Apple ecosystem, a OnePlus 7 Pro has an ultra-high-quality 90Hz AMOLED display with no notch, top specs, 128GB starting storage, one of the best mobile cameras and the best version of Android on the market. Even tech YouTubers joke that OnePlus does a better job with Android than Google does. And it's $669.

Even if I was a huge Apple fan, I'd be quite bitter that the humongous notch is still around all these years later, that at those prices the displays aren't 90Hz and that iOS 13 launched with loads of bugs.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
It probably wouldn't apply. Android is coming along much faster. Granted, it had a further way to go. But it's nice to see noticeably progression year on year.

If you aren't particularly into iPhones or the Apple ecosystem, a OnePlus 7 Pro has an ultra-high-quality 90Hz AMOLED display with no notch, top specs, 128GB starting storage, one of the best mobile cameras and the best version of Android on the market. Even tech YouTubers joke that OnePlus does a better job with Android than Google does. And it's $669.

Even if I was a huge Apple fan, I'd be quite bitter that the humongous notch is still around all these years later, that at those prices the displays aren't 90Hz and that iOS 13 launched with loads of bugs.
Aaah yes that notch I only remembered existed now because you mentioned it and I had to look up to see what the fuss was about.

As before, it’s literally a non-issue.

I’ll also remind you that nobody else with or without a notch has anything on FaceID, which is by and large the reason for the notch beyond just design decision.

That iOS13 launcheD with some bugs is fair comment. At the same time Apple has been quick to respond and resolve issues with two major updates since launch.

Most people (myself included) didn’t suffer from said bugs, the vast majority seemed to apply only to the new hardware.

OnePlus is probably the best Android option out there though. Followed by Xiaomi and Huawei if you ignore the hassles they are having with the OS.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Aaah yes that notch I only remembered existed now because you mentioned it and I had to look up to see what the fuss was about.

As before, it’s literally a non-issue.

I’ll also remind you that nobody else with or without a notch has anything on FaceID, which is by and large the reason for the notch beyond just design decision.

That iOS13 launcheD with some bugs is fair comment. At the same time Apple has been quick to respond and resolve issues with two major updates since launch.

Most people (myself included) didn’t suffer from said bugs, the vast majority seemed to apply only to the new hardware.
That argument can be used on anything. We shouldn't avoid progress because you refuse to accept that a 50% width notch is a load of nonsense.

FaceID sucks, not sure what you're going on about. I'd much rather have instant face unlock that isn't intended for biometric authentication and a super fast in-display fingerprint reader. You still can't unlock an iPhone on a table without placing your head over it.

LuciaBlue

A f
A real problem when you absolutely, positively have to use your mouse 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year... with no time off for family, or sleeping, or eating, or going outside, or watching the game, or going out for drinks with your mates.
A full charge 2 hours - a full charge lasts 30 days - plan ahead
A real problem when you “absolutely, positively have to use your mouse 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year... with no time off for family, or sleeping, or eating, or going outside, or watching the game, or going out for drinks with your mates.
A 2 minute charge gives you 9 hours, a 2 hour charge gives you 720 hours... take a power nap! You can’t “absolutely positively use your mouse for 24 hours a day”.

greg0205

Honorary Master
A f

A full charge 2 hours - a full charge lasts 30 days - plan ahead

A 2 minute charge gives you 9 hours, a 2 hour charge gives you 720 hours... take a power nap! You can’t “absolutely positively use your mouse for 24 hours a day”.
You... You can't just come out and say that.

Some folk here think we sit around waiting for peripherals to charge, with our Macs effectively bricked while they do... You have to warn 'em before sudden shocks to the system like that.

whatwhat

Executive Member
Flip side is also true. Does the process of buying a phone really deserve a whole article? It would have been the same process even if he / she was downgrading to a R2,000 Android. This is not even a review of the phone.

For the next 12 months it will be article after article about "ooh my phone has dark mode, ooh my phone has a swype keyboard etc." Features that have been standard on other phones for ages now.
MyBB needed clicks and they got it.

Article paid for itself and the iPhone 11 Pro.