I can't sleep since Tuesday

marine1

Honorary Master
There is a DNA test that takes 48hrs I think and can be done in Sandton, I have the details.

Pitbull

Verboten
Thanx Marine.

I made the GP appointment already, that in itself was a huge step. Think I'll just do it that way since I have started this ball rolling already.

marine1

Honorary Master
Hey bud if you need to talk, pm me anytime and i will send my cell number :(

sand_man

Honorary Master
Hey Pitbull sorry to hear about your boet man!! My sympathies but as someone pointed out with the proper treatment he can survive for decades literally!!! it's a case of taking his medication religiously and making the right life style changes, no alcohol, drugs and unprotected sex, eating properly etc he could go on for many many years...

As has been pointed out already by other forumites the chances of you or your family being infected is remote. If an incident occurred that could have lead to your being infected you would have remembered it believe me!! You need to ingest a significant amount of infected blood and/or saliva and/or seamen to transmit the disease so seriously bud don't over burden yourself with stress.

That you should have the test down is a given and congrats for making the decision to do it.

Pitbull

Verboten
Hey Pitbull sorry to hear about your boet man!! My sympathies but as someone pointed out with the proper treatment he can survive for decades literally!!! it's a case of taking his medication religiously and making the right life style changes, no alcohol, drugs and unprotected sex, eating properly etc he could go on for many many years...

As has been pointed out already by other forumites the chances of you or your family being infected is remote. If an incident occurred that could have lead to your being infected you would have remembered it believe me!! You need to ingest a significant amount of infected blood and/or saliva and/or seamen to transmit the disease so seriously bud don't over burden yourself with stress.

That you should have the test down is a given and congrats for making the decision to do it.
This is by far the scariest thing I have ever done. But it needs to be done I guess :(

Waaib

Executive Member
Pitbull - are you on Discovery Medical aid with Vitality? 5000 bonus points for a clear test. I have one every year now just for the points.

I've also had to have the test once because of a similar situation. Very scary but once it's over you'll feel great.

Pitbull

Verboten
Pitbull - are you on Discovery Medical aid with Vitality? 5000 bonus points for a clear test. I have one every year now just for the points.

I've also had to have the test once because of a similar situation. Very scary but once it's over you'll feel great.
hehe

I'm on CAMAF, there is nothing they don't pay :D

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Yeh... when I had a scare awhile back I think my mother was worse of than me.

Kalvaer

Expert Member
As with the others, I'm also sorry to hear about your brother and the situation you are now in. I've had to go for HIV tests for certain VISA's over the last few years and I was scared each and every time. Even though one of them was taken two weeks apart, Your mind keeps on trying to think of all the "what if's......" that could of happened in that small period of time.

Getting back the clean result though will put the biggest smile on your face you've had in a long time. Then its the next step with your family and brother!

All the best though. If its in consolation, I slept last night for the first time in about 6 full days.. Insomnia is a biatch!

Maelly

Expert Member
I know most people here will disagree, I usually just pop in for a VCT at New Start. They do Counselling and Testing using a Rapid Test. You get the results within 25min or so. I just did one here at DBN ICC yesterday (attending a TB Conference).

So you just need to take your entire family for HIV Testing bro (including yourself). All the best and stay strong for your brother. He's the one who needs more support now.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Pitbull, I think the reason why your bro is not freaking out is that he probably knew about the risk inherent in his lifestyle choices and was therefore not caught off-guard as much as you.

If you can, try to get your bro to eat more cause skinny + HIV doesn't gel.

Also, its not a death sentence...especially if one is in a position to buy the necessary drugs, which I'm guessing your family is.

Good luck and try to support your bro...he probably needs all the support structures he can get atm.

There is a DNA test that takes 48hrs I think and can be done in Sandton, I have the details.
Not sure how DNA has anything to do with this...:confused:

Pitbull

Verboten
Now there is another point.

My Brother never got a desent job, he was just jolling and having fun. Working as a barman ant a club and so forth. He's 26 and has no medical aid.

I don't even want to know how much his medication is going to cost us :(

I'm cool have a good job and a medical aid and and and. He's not that lucky.....

Last edited:

DJ...

Banned
Now there is anothe point.

My Brother never got a desent job, he was just jolling and having fun. Working as a barman ant a club and so forth. He's 26 and has no medical aid.

I don't even want to know how much his medication is going to cost us :(

I'm cool have a good job and a medical aid and and and. He's not that lucky.....
The state is providing free AIDS treatment arent they? Or they were supposed to at least - and before anyone says it is only for poor communities, I really dont think this is the case as I recall that theory being debunked on 702 a while back. However I think he will need to visit a state hospital to receive the treatment for free...

Pitbull

Verboten
The state is providing free AIDS treatment arent they? Or they were supposed to at least - and before anyone says it is only for poor communities, I really dont think this is the case as I recall that theory being debunked on 702 a while back. However I think he will need to visit a state hospital to receive the treatment for free...
He went to register for his ARV's there.

Starting next week on it I think

Last edited: