I can't sleep since Tuesday

Pitbull

Verboten
Cost for test at GP? Your thread has made me want to go now too.

J
I think it's R 300 for a full blood test. The medical aid will cover it though. I'll find out once it's done. Then I'll post the price.

Some people here at work said one can have that pre screen test done at a clinic for free. But as some people mentioned on here it can give you a false possitive. But I think if you are ok with having it done that way, a clinic should be ok. They will send away a blood sample if the pre screen shows possitive.

All hear-say, I have had no experience with clinics yet :eek:

jsheed_sa

Executive Member
I think it's R 300 for a full blood test. The medical aid will cover it though. I'll find out once it's done. Then I'll post the price.

Some people here at work said one can have that pre screen test done at a clinic for free. But as some people mentioned on here it can give you a false possitive. But I think if you are ok with having it done that way, a clinic should be ok. They will send away a blood sample if the pre screen shows possitive.

All hear-say, I have had no experience with clinics yet :eek:
Heh I don't earn too much so maybe i'll drop down to the local clinic or chemist. Anyone done either of those? Thanks for the info.

Last edited:

marine1

Honorary Master
An acquaintance of mine recently got a job as an English teacher in China. They do mandatory HIV tests on arrival at the airport for certain types of visas. He was on the next flight home. That's how he found out he was +ve.
Wow thats terrible. Sorry to hear

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Pitbull, they are supposed to counsel you when they test you so I hope that that sets your mind at ease.

I'm sorry to hear about your brother but I think its a good thing that you decided to get tested anyway. Don't let this break your family up, you might regret it once your bro has past on.

Kim_Webchick

Expert Member
Sorry to hear that man :(

But you definitely need to go get tested, you and your whole family. Rather do it now and know about any issues than do it too late and find yourself in a worse position.
As Cathj said, the chances are minimal that you have contracted anything but you still need to be sure.

I also think your parents and your brother probably need your support - although your scared, imagine how scared they are.

Good luck and i hope wellness and health on the rest of your family.
I have to agree here, its an awful situation to be in but you need to check yourself out but I really doubt you would come back positive, but for your piece of mind and you also have to be strong for the rest of the family, because they are just that FAMILY

Kalvaer

Expert Member
Pitbull, they are supposed to counsel you when they test you so I hope that that sets your mind at ease.
Just hope you dont get my doctor.

Last test I had, he phoned me up the next day and started like this

Doc: "Hmm I have some thing to tell you, are you sitting down"
Me: "Gulp... Hmm yes"
Doc: "Well do you know what Avbob is?
Me: "Hmmm yes"
Doc: Well... You dont have to worry about them for a while"

I nearly dirtied my pants right there. Of course I laugh about it now, but thought it was all over.

Syndyre

Honorary Master

I nearly dirtied my pants right there. Of course I laugh about it now, but thought it was all over.
That's just cruel! :D

Nocturnity

Expert Member

Someone should give him a medal! :D

Seriously though... If they say it that way, it makes the fact that everything's ok seem so much better. I'm generally worried when the doctors "uhm" and "ahh" and pu5syfoot around you...

Waaib

Executive Member
Heh I don't earn too much so maybe i'll drop down to the local clinic or chemist. Anyone done either of those? Thanks for the info.
Go to Vincent Palotti (sp?) hospital - cpt southern suburbs. Walk into reception and ask for Lancet labs. Just walk in and ask for a HIV test. They'll make you fill in a form and on the form they will ask for your doctors details to send the results to. Then they take some blood. In about 48 hours your doctor's rooms will call saying your test results are back. Ask them to get the doc to read them over the phone. If you are clear he'll have no problem doing that for free. If you are not clear you'll need to see him anyway. Cost about R140 odd when I did it last year.