I felt a tremor. Thunder is surly imminent. – An outsider’s inside view and review of RAIN and its future.

StanVaden

Note: I'm not affiliated with, funded or supported, - by Rain. Just a crazed fan with an opinion

Foreword

What is the correlation between life in September, and the Tech Space? You see the sky darken, you see little flashes of light and before you know it the wind is raging and thunder knocks on your front door. And then the suspense finally meets a satisfying ending as the first rain drops fall.

While most of us are no strangers to tech companies, the support process and ISPs there’s been one. This one has been at the top of their game. Praised left and right by techies and companies alike. They consistently topped the charts in the beginning and battled to keep their “Number One” position. However, we’ve all been spectators to their fall. Like the gladiators in the coliseum we turned on this company as we watched them slip down deeper and deeper down the ranks to their current position, 2nd worst.

Of course, I’m talking about RAIN, but as in Norse mythology; even Ragnarök has an end. (Un)Fortunately for us we’re currently right in the middle of the transition period.

In the Beginning

I was an early adopter of RAIN. Order number 911 was mine. I was rooting so hard for this new kid on the block. They were giving the finger to every ISP. They were thrashing against the standards we’ve grown accustomed to in South Africa.

I remember how the speeds were great. Freaking amazing. However, the technological limits just simply were not supporting RAIN’s vision..

In The Ring, A New Contender Enters – 5G

RAIN, rather than laying down, decided to drop their 5G network on a country who had only recently made peace with the price and pace of Fibre.

I used to recommend RAIN’s 5G to anyone who’s outside of Fibre coverage. Then RAIN did the unspeakable. They put up two towers near a family member’s house. Their 5G network got so good they were having connection issues. But, it wasn’t lack of coverage nor was it a congested 5G network. It was two towers fighting to get the CPE to connect to them each because they still have capacity to handle it.

Yes. Their network is this good and those of you readers on 5G with Rain can most likely contest to this.

I reached out to RAIN about my issue. As all of us know the only way to reach them right now is to log a ticket with their ticketing desk and, lets face it: This isn't the greatest.

Not this time boet. I got a call from a giant in the industry. I don’t know if it was pure luck, or if I’m a sleeper cell operator and Rain is going to activate me? Irrespective I got some support but also, I got to live out a little fantasy of my own:

In the Right Now

Friday I had the pleasure of meeting and talking to a few Giants in the industry. For those unaware, Peter Khan is an absolute colossus. His track record follows him like a cape and his calm and collected manner hits you in the face like an angry boer at a rugby game.

I’d like to apologize to Mrs. Khan for keeping Peter occupied most of Friday.

I believe Peter is currently spending his 30th day at RAIN as their Head of Customer Support/Satisfaction. We discussed various hypotheticals for RAIN and there are some really cool implementations they’ll be rolling out in the future.

Whilst I’m not at liberty to discuss any of the specifics, I can share some points I’ve taken from my discussion with Peter.

In the Future

RAIN is going to work super hard on their customer support. The concept Peter and I discussed was “The person who answers the phone is going to fix your problem”. He’s so open to suggestions and improvements that I forgot for a moment that he’s an official representative of Rain that can actually make my ideas and suggestions a reality.

Reflection

RAIN is going back for their Number One Champion Title Belt and I can’t wait to see this battle go down. So, grab your popcorn, refill your drinks, sit back, relax, and enjoy watching the favorite underdog fight its way back to glory. I sure will ;)

powermzii

Expert Member
So is congestion NOT an issue? They have capacity they just aren't able to force towers to stay connected to a single tower? Am i understanding this correctly?

StanVaden

So is congestion NOT an issue? They have capacity they just aren't able to force towers to stay connected to a single tower? Am i understanding this correctly?
You are. The 5G Towers in my hood and in the very specific use case based on the altitude of my mast, their two 5G towers and the orientation of my CPE, this is the case.

powermzii

Expert Member
You are. The 5G Towers in my hood and in the very specific use case based on the altitude of my mast, their two 5G towers and the orientation of my CPE, this is the case.
Interesting... well hopefuly they can sort that out then. I must say i haven't had a bad experience - been smooth sailing so far but for the countless others who have had issues - this should hopefully help

eg2505

Honorary Master
I think the lock-down had an effect on them having to up their service levels,
as most of the lucky people that didn't have fibre now suddenly had to try find a way to do almost everything during the lock-down.

and yes, towers finally got built were they weren't before.
again, supply and demand.

StanVaden

Interesting... well hopefuly they can sort that out then. I must say i haven't had a bad experience - been smooth sailing so far but for the countless others who have had issues - this should hopefully help
Just remember that ever area is different. In my area we might be 2 people connecting to 1 tower with 1GBps bandwidth. .

In other areas there might be 1000 people connecting to 1 tower with 3Gbps. Even though their tower has thrice (who even uses that word anymore) the speed it can only realistically dedicate around 3mbps (in an ideal perfect world) to each user.

StanVaden

I think the lock-down had an effect on them having to up their service levels,
as most of the lucky people that didn't have fibre now suddenly had to try find a way to do almost everything during the lock-down.

and yes, towers finally got built were they weren't before.
again, supply and demand.
Well I couldn't have said it better myself! I guess the best way to start changing peoples perception of the ISP is to offer better towers and better support

rustypup

I've never seen thunder referred to as surly but it feels so appropriate....

rain_mobile

Rain Representative
Company Rep
Note: I'm not affiliated with, funded or supported, - by Rain. Just a crazed fan with an opinion

Foreword

What is the correlation between life in September, and the Tech Space? You see the sky darken, you see little flashes of light and before you know it the wind is raging and thunder knocks on your front door. And then the suspense finally meets a satisfying ending as the first rain drops fall.

While most of us are no strangers to tech companies, the support process and ISPs there’s been one. This one has been at the top of their game. Praised left and right by techies and companies alike. They consistently topped the charts in the beginning and battled to keep their “Number One” position. However, we’ve all been spectators to their fall. Like the gladiators in the coliseum we turned on this company as we watched them slip down deeper and deeper down the ranks to their current position, 2nd worst.

Of course, I’m talking about RAIN, but as in Norse mythology; even Ragnarök has an end. (Un)Fortunately for us we’re currently right in the middle of the transition period.

In the Beginning

I was an early adopter of RAIN. Order number 911 was mine. I was rooting so hard for this new kid on the block. They were giving the finger to every ISP. They were thrashing against the standards we’ve grown accustomed to in South Africa.

I remember how the speeds were great. Freaking amazing. However, the technological limits just simply were not supporting RAIN’s vision..

In The Ring, A New Contender Enters – 5G

RAIN, rather than laying down, decided to drop their 5G network on a country who had only recently made peace with the price and pace of Fibre.

I used to recommend RAIN’s 5G to anyone who’s outside of Fibre coverage. Then RAIN did the unspeakable. They put up two towers near a family member’s house. Their 5G network got so good they were having connection issues. But, it wasn’t lack of coverage nor was it a congested 5G network. It was two towers fighting to get the CPE to connect to them each because they still have capacity to handle it.

Yes. Their network is this good and those of you readers on 5G with Rain can most likely contest to this.

I reached out to RAIN about my issue. As all of us know the only way to reach them right now is to log a ticket with their ticketing desk and, lets face it: This isn't the greatest.

Not this time boet. I got a call from a giant in the industry. I don’t know if it was pure luck, or if I’m a sleeper cell operator and Rain is going to activate me? Irrespective I got some support but also, I got to live out a little fantasy of my own:

In the Right Now

Friday I had the pleasure of meeting and talking to a few Giants in the industry. For those unaware, Peter Khan is an absolute colossus. His track record follows him like a cape and his calm and collected manner hits you in the face like an angry boer at a rugby game.

I’d like to apologize to Mrs. Khan for keeping Peter occupied most of Friday.

I believe Peter is currently spending his 30th day at RAIN as their Head of Customer Support/Satisfaction. We discussed various hypotheticals for RAIN and there are some really cool implementations they’ll be rolling out in the future.

Whilst I’m not at liberty to discuss any of the specifics, I can share some points I’ve taken from my discussion with Peter.

In the Future

RAIN is going to work super hard on their customer support. The concept Peter and I discussed was “The person who answers the phone is going to fix your problem”. He’s so open to suggestions and improvements that I forgot for a moment that he’s an official representative of Rain that can actually make my ideas and suggestions a reality.

Reflection

RAIN is going back for their Number One Champion Title Belt and I can’t wait to see this battle go down. So, grab your popcorn, refill your drinks, sit back, relax, and enjoy watching the favorite underdog fight its way back to glory. I sure will ;)
Hi StanVaden,

Thank you for sharing this.

We are really humbled by your kind words and maintain that our aim is to delivery exceptional customers service, to any and all our customers.

We thank you for your continued support.

Regards,
rain_mobile

rain_mobile

Rain Representative
Company Rep
Rain is now super slow and they throttle
Hi BlackMamba,

We can certainly have a look into your slow speeds for you. Please can you PM us the email address linked to your rain account so we can look into this for you?

Regards,
rain_mobile

Jeeper

I'm on 5G premium and I must say it was good for the most part of the last couple of months but for the past 2 weeks their service has totally dropped so much that it makes it impossible to use their 5G when working from home. I'm also not the only one complaing in my area.

Support is almost non existant, just wish the would reply to my cancellation request.

As with their 4G they are going the same route with 5G.

StanVaden

So Jeeper. Here's what I want you to do:
Just drop your email to @rain_mobile and let them have a quick looksie?

They made my problem go away. Maybe they can do the same for you?

rain_mobile

Rain Representative
Company Rep
I'm on 5G premium and I must say it was good for the most part of the last couple of months but for the past 2 weeks their service has totally dropped so much that it makes it impossible to use their 5G when working from home. I'm also not the only one complaing in my area.

Support is almost non existant, just wish the would reply to my cancellation request.

As with their 4G they are going the same route with 5G.
Hi Jeeper

We will certainly have a look into this for you. Please can you PM us the email address linked to your rain account so we can look into this for you?

Regards,
rain_mobile

Jeeper

So Jeeper. Here's what I want you to do:
Just drop your email to @rain_mobile and let them have a quick looksie?

They made my problem go away. Maybe they can do the same for you?

Thank you StanVaden,

I’ve reached out to @rain_mobile and I hope he/she will be able to assist another customer of theirs. @rain_mobile also responded and I appreciate the response. I was fortunate enough to get a call from a rain agent yesterday to confirm my cancellation although the initial call was not aimed at my cancellation.

I’m in the position where I have to work from home while doing conference calls and I cannot rely on a service that has almost zero upload speeds with frequent interruptions.

Like I said, rain was fantastic for the first couple of months but after spending two weeks to get any type of proper support even with a techie at my house the one day for almost 6 hours that acknowledged that there is a problem at the “NEW” tower. There were also two different routers while the test was conducted. I don’t think I’ll be easily be convinced that they can provide a reliable service. I also never got feedback after these tests.

I appreciate those at rain that do their best to keep them going but it seems they are outnumbered looking at support related enquiries on various social media sites. Looking at rain, iBurst seems to ring a bell, dying a slow death.

Why did rain drop ISP’s like Afrihost? Was it because ISP’s could identify problems easier and demand support from rain in order to supply their customers with a service or updates?

MikeTosen

I too sometimes see the clouds, hear the thunder, a few drops of RAIN falls, and then its gone...
The last good RAINs I had here was mid April.
Every day we wake up hoping that the RAIN will come .... maybe today ....

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Well, in my experience with these things, the problem is generally that there is not enough support personnel to be able to even deal with the volumes (never mind fix things), from what I read in the complaints, indicates to me that is what the 1st problem is.

Like a PUK number, it should be a very easy thing to solve but look at all the threads on here about it, they don't have the capacity to meet the demand for the PUK thing via the current mainstream support channels and people have to post here.

So unless they're hiring (then there is the competence/training up required) new people, it's all only hot air, which without moisture will not cause any clouds, and thus no rain...

Spliffcat

Executive Member
Too much BS being flung around, smoke and mirrors and a bit of farting thunder.
They screwed me over..
Don't need to say anymore.