I got my phone stolen, tracked it, and captured video of the new “owner”

daughter's boyfriend phone got stolen... today. tracked it. it's current in an informal settlement in boksburg

OneKnight

It seems like this would be a very easy way to get a hold of the syndicates.

If only law enforcement had the will to do it.

Also, don't know why we are required to blur the faces of the culprits.

In the USA where everybody is trigger happy with lawsuits, it is very rarely done.

Last edited:

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Presumably the phone has long since been reported to the police as being stolen since a reasonable time period has obviously passed.

sox63

Executive Member
Presumably the phone has long since been reported to the police as being stolen since a reasonable time period has obviously passed.
Would be interesting to know if they CAN report it stolen? I mean they set out to get it stolen, so not entrapment or something along those lines. Not sure if entrapment exists in real life

HunterGR

Expert Member
Would be interesting to know if they CAN report it stolen? I mean they set out to get it stolen, so not entrapment or something along those lines. Not sure if entrapment exists in real life
I don't see why they can't report it stolen.

1. Go to the cop shop.
2. explain that phone was stolen but has the aforementioned app installed and that you know the location(s).
3. cop on duty looks at you with a dazed empty face.
4. said cop walks away shaking his head.
5. next cop says to you, what do you want us to do?
6. you leave frustrated and swearing.

TIA

bigboy529

Expert Member
It seems like this would be a very easy way to get a hold of the syndicates.

If only law enforcement had the will to do it.

Also, don't know why we are required to blur the faces of the culprits.

In the USA where everybody is trigger happy with lawsuits, it is very rarely done.

Around 3 weeks ago our CPF sent out a warning about a criminal spotted in our area who's wanted for 2 car thefts and a couple smash and grabs. This same person was found not guilty by the Constatutional Court a year or so ago on a technicality because photos of him was published all over social media before his trial started. They claimed because of the photos all over social media, his identification parade was compromised, so in the end he got off. BTW he was on trial for rape, armed robbery, something like 15 car thefts and a few other things.

Moosedrool

Expert Member
Entrapment is when a situation is orchastrated which leads a person to commit a crime which they otherwise wouldn't commit. The example is not entrapment but a sting. Very big difference.