I got tricked into going to an AMWAY meeting last night....

Elite Override

They sell cosmetics and household products.

You can't get the products from a store, you need to purchase directly from an agent. Then they try and make you an agent so that you can sell to your friends, the idea is to get as many people as possible "under you" and then your get commission.
There are kinds of tricks and rules to make sure that you are continually signing on new people, its more important then actually selling the product.
Ah, okay now I get it thanks.

jxharding

Expert Member
I HATE AMWAY!!!
R60 for a effing tube of toothpaste
their comeback? : Its very great toothpaste and you should apply it sideways across the toothbrush's bristles, so you can use less.

almost klapped a friend after he tried to invite me to this crap.

HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT.

PeanutX

I HATE AMWAY!!!
their comeback? : Its very great toothpaste and you should apply it sideways across the toothbrush's bristles, so you can use less.

HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT.
LMAO!!! Made my day reading this comment! I felt exactly the same way.

techead

Honorary Master
glad Im not the only one who feels annoyed by these tards

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
To the OP... Did you stay, or did you get up and leave?

As soon as they mentioned Amway, I wouldn't been outta there.

biena

Executive Member
http://behindmlm.com/mlm/penn-and-teller-declare-mlm-industry-is-bull****/

Was a laugh and a half., though that these companies was a scam. The one thing that confirmed it to me was looking at the recruitment, and the number of people in the scheme.

Here is a good representation, this is just with 2 people working for you, most of these schemes say the optimal number is 15 or so !
http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/76500

If you recruited two friends and they each recruited two friends, this is how it would go. The first column is new recruits per level, the second is total recruits working at that level.

2 (3)
4 (7)
8 (15)
16 (31)
32 (63)
64 (127)
128 (255)
256 (511)
512 (1023)
1024 (2047)
2048 (4095)
4096 (8191)
8192 (16,383)
16384 (32,767)

Congratulations, your MLM now has more assoicates than Walmart

32768 (65,535)
65536 (131,071)
131072 (262,143)

The entire city of Buffalo NY is now in your employment

262144 (524,287)
524288 (1,048575)

Now All of Dallas Texas Works for you

1048576 (2,097,151)

You now employ the entire state of West Virginia

2097152 (4,194,303)
4194304 (8,388,607)

You now control New Jersey, for what that's worth

8388608 (16,777,215)
16777216 (33,554,431)

You now employ the entire country of Uganda

33554432 (67,108,863)
67108864 (134,217,727)

Every Citizen of Mexico calls you Daddy

134217728 (268,435,455)
268435456 (536,870,911)

You now run North America, thats right, the whole continent

536870912 (1,073,741,823)
1073741824 (2,147,483,647)
2147483648 (4,294,967,285)
4294967296 (8,589,934,591)

Hope you sell spaceships because every Man Woman and Child in the world now works for you. In addition, the next billion or so unborn children have been promised to you as well. Just now, over half the population of earth is completely and utterly screwed because they have no one to sell to.

techead

Honorary Master
To the OP... Did you stay, or did you get up and leave?

As soon as they mentioned Amway, I wouldn't been outta there.
It was in a cinema so it was kinda hard to get out of there, they stuck all the new people in the front towards the wall

lol

oh look I just got an email from the dude who took us last night... The URL to the website where they sell the stuff. No Im not linking it :twisted:

what to say.... what to say.... :whistling:

Hard Rain

Expert Member
Technically it's libel to call them a pyramid scheme because they have "products", so safer just to say their business model resembles those triangle buildings in Egypt ;-)

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
damn it!!! :mad:

When they dropped the word AMWAY, I was like :wtf:

I remembered that name but I couldnt remember why... I sat there wracking my brains trying to remember why it was bringing such a bad feeling inside me! :sick:

did a bit of googling, and these fools are nothing short a bunch of fanatics, going around manipulating/brainwashing people. Not gonna go say right out that they are a cult, but after reading personal stories online they damn close!

anyone had any experiences with these fools?
I have always referred to amway as "the cult"
I have said many nasty things to people that have called me about it or tried to get me to go to one of those meetings.

Kompete

Expert Member
Its not a scam - Amway is in fact a global company with billions in annual revenue
Like cigarette companies used to dupe you into buying ciggies, saying its cool, etc; Amway makes its money in a similar legal way...although I think how they go about doing it is completely unethical...like ciggie co's until they were forced to change their advertising,etc

If Amway was honest to its customers/participants (the people its trying to recruit) - it would be honest in its communications, e.g. :
- This is really a zero sum game, i.e. you can make money (a hell of a lot) but you actually make money off other people joining the ranks, buying the product and staying in the programme...very much how a typical pyramid scheme works
- They say everyone can make money - not true. The math model highlighted by another poster, shows there is just not enough people in the world to sustain an Amway where everyone makes money. In fact your chances of making real money is infinitesimally small
- The people making money (the diamonds or whatever they're called) need to continually recruit more dunces; cause the attrition must be sky high as people realise there chances of making money is slim to none
- Etc, etc

porchrat

Honorary Master
I HATE AMWAY!!!

HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT.
LOL I got roped into one of these "business opportunities". What a waste of time. I had never heard of AMWAY before but the minute they put their little "chain" diagrams up on the projector I was like "hey... wait a second... that looks an awful lot like the stereotypical pyramid scheme diagram turned on it's side to hide the pyramid shape".

Unfortunately my friend that recommended the thing to me had given me a lift so I couldn't leave until it was over. I'm not falling for that one again.

I let my mate know straight after I was out of there that I wasn't prepared to get involved in it and that it was a pyramid scheme. I didn't even get to discussing how much the merchandise costs. LOL @ R60 for a tube of toothpaste I thought this "network buying" stuff was supposed to make these things cheaper! :p

Mudshark

Amway

Kompete is correct. Words he said are out of my mouth. I had a similar experience in the USA (not Amway) with the identical concept. At least I went with the view to having some fun questioning them.

Greylor

Expert Member
They almost managed to rope me in when I finished school and before I got into varsity. I was young and naieve and the idea seemed to make sense....and I had never heard of Amway before.

Then they invited me to one of their big meetings, and it was more like a church service at a very happy-clappy church than anything to do with business. As people say...it looked more like a cult than anything else.

So I just said no thanks and carried on with my life. After doing a some more research, I definately made the right decision.

Ono'rach

Executive Member
I also got conned by a friend into going to an Amway meeting. What a complete load of nonsense.

The funniest thing of the evening was the irony of the one special "guest" who was there to help my friend with the pitch (I believe he recruited my friend).

He was going on about how you can leave your job, have all this leisure time, work from home etc, yet this chop had driven more than 50km on a weekday night to spend the entire evening trying to convince a bunch of skeptics into buying into this kark... And not one person signed up...

:rolleyes:

IzZzy

Executive Member
I went to one of these things only because I was promised a "guaranteed prize". I was approached on the Durban beachfront by a lady with a scratchcard saying if I scratch the card, I can win - guaranteed, but subject to me listening to them promote the system etc etc.

I stayed for all the talks, I didn't buy anything, I didn't sign up - AND- got a free Tour of Durban Harbour as my prize. Suckers.

adrcl

A bit of a necro, but I was recently contacted for a job opportunity at Amway SA. Not selling their products but rather in the science and regulatory field where they offered twice my current salary. Found this post when researching the company and now I am hesitant to go for that interview.
Any update/ news on this company?