I happily used Telkom Mobile in Hermanus even though it had no coverage

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
I happily used Telkom Mobile in Hermanus even though it had no coverage

During a recent trip to Hermanus, I discovered that Telkom had no native mobile network coverage along the road from Cape Town, or in the town.

As an occasional traveller who lives online, leaving the house with prepaid SIMs from multiple providers is essential. You never know when a network’s coverage won’t be great at your destination.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
A word of warning to others.

As you say, Telkom mobile coverage works well if you are on a Free Me package because you can roam on MTN, but if you have bundled data on your broadband package, there is no roaming so it's useless.

So my son quite happily uses his 2gb Free Me all over town, but I can't use the 3gb I get bundled with my 'Unlimited Home' package.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
A word of warning to others.

As you say, Telkom mobile coverage works well if you are on a Free Me package because you can roam on MTN, but if you have bundled data on your broadband package, there is no roaming so it's useless.

So my son quite happily uses his 2gb Free Me all over town, but I can't use the 3gb I get bundled with my 'Unlimited Home' package.
I can, and do. In fact it's permanently set to roam on MTN.

EDIT:

Screen Shot 2018-06-03 at 14.39.14.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Jan

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
That screenshot though....

Using Telkom roaming on MTN network with the simcard in a Vodacom Mifi....
Yeah, I know :eek:

It was the cheapest Mifi I could find at the time.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Just remember that Telkom distinguishes between all networks and Telkom data. If you don't have all networks data bundle you'll be offline data-wise unless you have airtime or have out of bundle billing enabled.

Last edited:

genetic

Honorary Master
Just remember that Telkom distinguishes between all networks and Telkom data. Of you don't have all networks data you'll be offline.
Not ture.

If you're on TM network data, you'll still roam on MTN's network.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Well that's annoying. The guy in the shop when I signed up said it's only valid on Telkom network, no roaming on MTN, so I never bothered to take a SIM card :mad:
Then you should go get one... or two...

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Not ture.

If you're on TM network data, you'll still roam on MTN's network.
But you do get telkom only data, such as their LTE bundles and some of their Mo'Nice deals, ie no roaming.

Pingu

I have been using my Telkom mobile in Caledon (about 35Km) from Hermanus for 2 years. I work there but live in Cape Town, I get better service there (roaming MTN).
It has improved a lot recently in CT though.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
But you do get telkom only data, such as their LTE bundles and some of their Mo'Nice deals, ie no roaming.
It will still connect to MTN, is just wont work data wise, calls and SMSs should still work (if you have airtime or it will be charged to bill) or incoming.

Daruk

Honorary Master
It will still connect to MTN, is just wont work data wise, calls and SMSs should still work (if you have airtime or it will be charged to bill) or incoming.
Offline yes. Data-wise yes.
I assumed wrongly that this thread is about data. Regardless tho, my post specified data but I've updated it for clarity.

Last edited:

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
All true of course. I was just responding to his post where he specifically mentioned TM network data.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Yet I struggled in Randburg, even with roaming people struggled to get a hold of me, the little bars would show full but it would only show one little arrow either going up or down. I switched over to FNB connect for a bit and so far it's been better.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Yet I struggled in Randburg, even with roaming people struggled to get a hold of me, the little bars would show full but it would only show one little arrow either going up or down. I switched over to FNB connect for a bit and so far it's been better.
Data or voice issues? What does your mobile configuration look like?

Daruk

Honorary Master
Data and voice, it was set to permanently roam on MTN-3G
It won't work where MTN sucks though... but you could have a point. Would be good to test with MTN sim.