I have not agreed to any deal with Vodacom – Please Call Me “inventor”

KT-B

Honorary Master
It is always sad when a large corporation takes advantage of someone else. There really is no need. They made a fortune off this concept - they should give the man his dues. I know that my kids used the feature often - it was incredibly useful.

Nick333

Honorary Master
It is always sad when a large corporation takes advantage of someone else. There really is no need. They made a fortune off this concept - they should give the man his dues. I know that my kids used the feature often - it was incredibly useful.
The amount the guy was claiming was astronomical irc. Also, "inventor" is being used rather liberally imo. He came up with an idea. He didn't develop it, and invest any resources into it. Everyone wants a lotto pay day.

FNfal

Executive Member
This guys legal fees must be over 10 mil by now so he needs a decent settlement .
The longer this saga goes on the bigger douche Vodacom looks .

KT-B

Honorary Master
The amount the guy was claiming was astronomical irc. Also, "inventor" is being used rather liberally imo. He came up with an idea. He didn't develop it, and invest any resources into it. Everyone wants a lotto pay day.
He only wants 15c for each R1 they made

Fuzzbox

He stole the idea from MTN.
Why should he even get anything at all.
Plus when you work at a company all inventions etc belong to said company.
Why is MTN not saying any thing about this.?

KT-B

Honorary Master
Not always. Depends on if it was part of his duties or not. My husband worked for a company where programming was not one of his functions. He created bridging programs which allowed the software they were buying to work with their existing systems. The company paid him separately for these programs. He then wrote several more which he allowed them to use free of charge while he worked there. When he left they wanted to take ownership of these programs but their legal department said that they had set a president by paying him for the earlier programs. They then had to pay annual license fees to use the programs from then on.

So depending on how things transpired - they may not own the IP. And the fact that they already offered him 10 million, tells me that they may not think they have ownership of it.

stefan9

Executive Member
Depends what the employment contract says.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Ah, so you are on Vodacom's side. Interesting.
Not on their side but they have tried to settle a couple of time. He is trying to make billions and is getting greedy. If they paid him for his idea he would probably never even got more than a million. I think he is trying to milk the cow and in the process he is gonna get a lot less than what they have offered him.

RedViking

Nord of the South
This has already been discussed, go look at the court case and previous articles.

Knyro

Honorary Master
I wonder how much Vodacom has spent on legal fees and how much of a knock on it's brand it has taken due to bad publicity.

They should have just paid him off years ago. Surely it would have been cheaper.

Last edited:

ponder

Honorary Master
I wonder how much Vodacom has spent on legal fees and how much of a knock on it's brand has taken due to bad publicity.

They should have just paid him off years ago. Surely it would have been cheaper.
I dont think vodacon cares about public opinion when one looks at all the oobshark crap for example. They just get their marketing guys to issue bs perception management responses...